My experience with the 12-person cooking class

scopewest

As all CC people know, you sign up for this ASAP. We tried to sign up after dinner on embarkation day, and there was only room for my sister. I put my name on a waiting list.

At the CC meeting the next day, I asked the hotel manager why there was only one class on this cruise, and he said it had to do with the chefs’ schedules, etc. etc. So imagine my shock when a couple of days later I found out there was to be a second class right after the first one, and I was in it. I got to watch my sister’s class as well so I can comment on both of them:

First off, this class is meant to be a fun class, not a “real” cooking class where you learn a few knife skills and cook an entire meal, as one of my classmates thought (and really complained about throughout the entire time). What do you want for $29?! This isn’t a Culinary Institute of America class.

We were given a hat (the type worn by soda jerks so that dates me), a very nice apron, a HAL stick pen, a notepad, the three recipe cards, and a Food and Wine magazine. Not sure on why we got the last one.

The class started with all 12 of us going up to the cooking area and being sorted out into groups of four to make one of three dishes.

If you want your friends to watch and take photos of you, yes, they can. They cannot hover around your elbow and take photos, though, they will be asked to back away as there isn’t much room up there for the cooking as it is with everyone in place. Watching is rather boring as you cannot see much since they don’t have the TV cameras going but you can hear all the chefs’ comments. The class wasn’t announced in the daily program but anyone who wandered by and wanted to check out what was going on was able to.

My sister’s class and mine were basically the same. There were three recipes, and all the ingredients were measured out for you in glass bowls.

If you did the fish dish, you got to use a knife to cut the fillets, but that was the only “chopping” done. Everything else in our classes was pour, stir, and fry. And neither class totally finished their recipes, there wasn’t enough time (class lasted about an hour). The recipe for polenta that I helped to cook took 90 minutes of cooking time, so after we mixed it and stirred it, the chef brought out the finished product for us to decorate. The crème brulee group mixed theirs up, and then the chef brought out 12 dishes already made and showed us how to caramelized the dish. Naturally we got to eat it, and this was the same crème brulee I ate two years ago in the Pinnacle Grill.

Both classes had Executive Chef Christophe Belin and Chef Robert Taylor (who was probably second or third in command) and they also did the cooking demos during the week. Both were exceedingly generous with answering questions and showing us how to make the dishes. I applaud HAL for allowing us to have this chance to talk to them one on one.

At the end of my sister’s class, the chefs volunteered to autograph the aprons. At the end of my class the EC said he had to leave and didn’t mention autographs. I politely asked him if he’d take one minute to sign my apron, and of course everyone else wanted one, and he agreed. Chef Taylor autographed it as well. I imagine this opens up a whole new HAL collectible, autographed aprons from cooking classes! I’m just glad I saw my sister’s class first or I wouldn’t have known to ask for the autographs.

We were given a hat (the type worn by soda jerks so that dates me), a very nice apron, a HAL stick pen, a notepad, the three recipe cards, and a Food and Wine magazine. Not sure on why we got the last one.

Food and Wine Magazine sponsors the Culinary Arts Center on HAL Ships. ANd for that matter, the New York Times powers the Explorations Cafe!

You learn something new every day! :)

Thank you, SW; I've wondered what the cooking class was all about. $29 for an apron AND creme brulee? Sounds like a deal to me.:D

Recently on STATENDAM the 'cooking class' came to Pinnacle, sat together at a large table... for about 12... and were served the menu that they had worked on in class.

I was part of the group but was just having the regular lunch in Pinnacle. The class looked like they were all getting on very well and having a good bit of fun.

The only thing that put me off... their vegetarian lunch. :eek:

Stephen

my polenta has always turned out like .....ok, you get the idea. it is like cooking grits. it is a trick, or a knack. i want to try. thanks for the post, i will make for the desk like nobody's business so i can get in. i am a big girl with a skill for cooking. thanks for your post!!!! lauri

We went to two paid classes on the Volendam and really enjoyed them. In our case it was the head chef from the Pinnacle Grill and he was fantastic. The menus were standardized, meaning Seattle directed what dishes would be taught, but the chef had some lattitude on how he taught each dish. We got a lot of hands-on experience from basic food prep to cooking to eating what we'd cooked. He not only taught the specific dishes but addressed basic prep and cooking that could be used for any cooking. Had a great time and will be making a beeline to the Front Desk as soon as we board the Veendam next March. :)

At my class (on the Maasdam last month) we did a LOT more chopping. I think I chopped mushrooms for at least half an hour:p And we stayed and cooked everything (we had a risotto on our menu) and then ate it, so we were there an hour and 45 minutes probably....They told us on the Maasdam that not only is it the chef's time that needs to be scheduled, but also the room, because it's used for movies and other presentations....So that's one reason you might be able to add classes or not....

I know i was looking forward to this, but i am wondering... are the cooking classes only on cruises longer than 7 days?

we are sailing the Z on Sat and i am hoping the classes will be offered on board, but since it is just a 7 day carib. cruise, i am wondering if they will be there?!

I know i was looking forward to this, but i am wondering... are the cooking classes only on cruises longer than 7 days?

we are sailing the Z on Sat and i am hoping the classes will be offered on board, but since it is just a 7 day carib. cruise, i am wondering if they will be there?!

Lola:

There were two cooking classes offered on our 7-day Alaska cruise, so I'm assuming there will be cooking classes on your 7-day Caribbean.

Enjoy:)

Karin

Okay, my memory was fuzzy, the fish dish was actually (now reading the recipe card) Prosciutto Wrapped Monkfish Medallions (that's where the cutting part in class came in) with Tomato Onion Fig Relish. I live in the southwest, it looked like salsa to me!

Archived