Luggage shipping services

theonlyjoie

So, has anyone actually used a luggage shipping service? Good? Bad? I know it's a bit pricey, but I recently paid $50.00 in overweight charges to United for a SEVEN-pound overage. It might be worth the extra $$$ to have someone else schlep it to the ship and then back home.

Any input would be appreciated...I don't see any shipping services that are listed with the BBB!?

e-mail me at

missladuca at yahoo dot com

Thanks for all the good info. CCers are a blast! :D

Most cruise lines won't accept shipped luggage so you need to decide where you're going to ship the bags to. It can be a pain to have to wait for hours for the delivery service to show up at the cruise terminal. When you realize that it can cost $150 one way to ship one bag, the $50 surcharge isn't too bad. I ship via DHL, when I travel internationally, and they've been very reliable. I ship to the pre-cruise hotel I'm staying at.

• 11 years later...

We’ve used Luggage Forward several times. Many of DD’s exPat friends use them. Need to check into shipping to port, could prearrange to ship to a hotel.

Usually it’s cheaper to pay for a second bag than to pay for overweight luggage.

We’ve used Luggage Forward several times. Many of DD’s exPat friends use them. Need to check into shipping to port, could prearrange to ship to a hotel.

Usually it’s cheaper to pay for a second bag than to pay for overweight luggage.

We use Luggage Forward and have been very pleased with their service. We always ship our luggage straight to our cruise ship and have never had a problem with that. They keep you informed on every move your bags make. They are picked up at your door (usually by FedEx or UPS), and the next time you see them is in your suite when you arrive on your ship. Do know it can be a bit costly. We shipped two 50 pound suitcases from Maui to Los Angeles and return last month and it ran a bit over $600. To travel without luggage is priceless though - especially if you are seniors.

Weigh your bags BEFORE you leave home! There is a scale in the fitness center, too, to weigh before you set your bags out on the last night, if you wish!

There are also luggage scales you can buy....

US airlines for domestic travel do not typically charge by how much over you are. You are either under 50 pounds or over 50 pounds.

International is different.

$50 is nothing. I got charged about $1700 for a 3rd bag (work equipment) that was 69 pounds by Air France. I find they are the worst on excess baggage fees..

Most cruise lines won't accept shipped luggage so you need to decide where you're going to ship the bags to. It can be a pain to have to wait for hours for the delivery service to show up at the cruise terminal. When you realize that it can cost $150 one way to ship one bag, the $50 surcharge isn't too bad. I ship via DHL, when I travel internationally, and they've been very reliable. I ship to the pre-cruise hotel I'm staying at.

They are not talking about DHL or such. There are companies that will ship your luggage and deliver them to the porters with your luggage tags on them.

So the cruise line is not "accepting" the shipment, they are taking in luggage dropped off just like you drop off your luggage.

Keep in mind this post is dated 2006, and shipping practices have changed since then.