Is Maasdam off Red Alert??

jacank

We were following posts of cruisers on the Maasdam last week (they would have returned the 30th) and they said there was a small outbreak of noro and they were on red alert. We have been waiting to hear the outcome. We leave on the 11th. I'm assuming it remained very small since I've heard no more about it. Does anyone have any information?

Hard to tell about the noro stuff. We were on the Volendam last February for a super cruise. No problems, no Red Alert. The very next cruise got hit within a day or two of leaving port and fought the situation for at least a part of the 10-day cruise. Certainly it would be better to get on a ship that hadn't recently had the problem but it obviously isn't a for sure thing. I guess the good thing would be that they'd more than thoroughly cleaned the ship during and after the Red Alert before the next sailing and that might cut the possibility of further illness.

We will be sailing on the Maasdam, Sunday, 12/24, and hope the Noro threat is over! We caught this nasty bug during our cruise to Alaska this past May on Carnival. Been there, done that, don't want to EVER do it again!!! It was worse than the flu!! We were confined to our room for 24 hours. At least we were able to enjoy the scenery pass by as we layed in bed (inbetween runs to the "head"). We have already stocked up on hand sanitizers for this cruise, and intend to carry them with us AT ALL TIMES.

NCL has a hand sanitizer that you must use before you board the ship. They have it outside the ship @ every port. I think it is a great idea. They also have them in all restaurants.

Does HAL have one set up just before you board the ship?

I cannot stress too strongly just how important it is to use "hand sanitizers"...frequently! Hand rails on stairs and decks, elevator buttons, the backs and arms of chairs, anything you touch has the potential of spreading this virus.

Once you have had it...you will never forget it!

Archived