Better off with cheap hotel in FLL and cabbing it or $$ hotel

CaddyB123

Thanks to this board, I have culled some very valuable information. I see that the three areas that are close to pier and airport are Downtown, the Beach Area and the Airport area.

Now, Amerisuites has been recommended again and again, but its pricetag is too high for us (at 79.00 a night). I think we could probably get a hotelroom on Priceline.com for about 40.00. But then we are looking at (possible) cab fares from the airport to hotel and from the hotel to the Pier. In the end, I can't decide whether to do the cheapie route and possibly have that cancelled out by expensive cab costs, or go for the hotel where all transporation is included. Thanks!

$79 a night is very economical for Ft Lauderdale any time of the year. I'd be real careful with a $40 a night room though, there are areas in town that get $10 an hour for a room and I'd hate to see your winning PL hotel ending up being one of them. Avoid any hotel on SR84, there's some bad ones on Stirling Road as well. :cool:

IMO, I do not think you are going to find a hotel any cheaper than the $70-$79 rate that is being offered for Amerisuites in any major city in this western hemisphere. We stayed there last month and although it is not the Ritz-Carlton it was comfortable and clean for a pre-cruise stay. It is in a very safe neighborhood not far from the port/airport and there is plenty of shopping and restuarants in that area.

Most room rates in that area are between $250/$350 per night.

We have been to Minnesota, twice, and paid 35.00 each time. What's more, we went to Washington D.C. and stayed at a Marriot, downtown, and paid 40.00 a night. I have visited the bidforfun boards, and people are paying 30-50 a night, so I am going to try. Oh, we also stayed on the outskirts of Chicago for 35.00 a night (DH's parents, actually, we are from Chicago, so stayed at home, of course).

Hi, I agree with the folks who say 79.00 is very economical

for FLL.

I'm not sure where you are going to get a decent room/location

for 40 bucks either.

Time of year is important as well. Example, Spring Break, I can

almost guarantee you won't find "cheap rooms", even on Priceline.

Good luck with your search:)

Oh you mentioned the outskirts of Chicago? The outskirts

of FLL....well, then you will end up paying a good amount

for the cab ride to the port.........

on priceline do not put in less than 3 stars and put in downtown fort lauderdale.. you will be close to everything, including the port.. amerisuites is in a great location and sounds like you got a good rate there... i really doubt if ou will find anything in the 40.00 range in a safe area.. and outskirts, as someone else already mentioned would bring up the price in cab fares.. amerisuites may even offer a shuttle to the port, i know embassy suites does and a few others so knock that off the cost of the room and bingo!!!

We stayed at Amerisuites a few weeks back for the $79 and thought it was a really good price. You have to remember that it includes free shuttle from airport to hotel, free shuttle from hotel to pier as well as free breakfast.

These are considerations - for example, we live in the city of Chicago. It is as you state much cheaper to stay in the outskirts but then you have to add in some major transportation expenses if you want to go anywhere.

Unfortunately some parts of the country are major tourist destinations - FLL happens to be one of them. I agree with the other posters - be careful of extremely cheap rooms. If you find such, post it to this board and some locals may be able to advise you of its condition and safety factors, etc.

Good luck to you - hope you find something in your affordance range!

I'm going to disagree with the above posters. While I have never been to FLL, I have lots of experience with Priceline. If you stick with a 3* or above and know the area you are choosing, you aren't going to get stuck in a $10 per hour type room.

I have stayed at a 4* on Michigan Ave (Hyatt) for $50

I have stayed at a 4* on Michigan Ave (Sheraton) for $60

I have stayed at 3* in St. Louis many times for $35-$40 (Adams Mark, Sheraton, Wyndham, Marriott, Hilton, etc)

I have stayed at a 3* in Nashville, TN for $35 (Holiday Inn)

I have just booked a 3* in Cocoa Beach for $55 (Holiday Inn Oceanfront)

I have only been less than completely satisfied twice and never so upset that I have left the hotel.

I only say this to show that you can get GREAT rooms on priceline for cheap!

I say do your research on biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com and go for it. You can always book the Amerisuites for that rate (which does seem really good by the way) if your priceline bid doesn't work out.

I have used Priceline too:) and I think the properties in

FLL might be way different than those you mentioned in Chicago.

Not the "building itself" but the area.....as FLL is really known

for Resorty.....beachy......

I know Chicago is a BIG town for Tourism as well but

I really think its more of apples to oranges.

In my opinion, and having used Priceline I cannot think

of any 3 or 4 star near the port that would be 50.00:eek:

in FLL...not in the downtown/port area.

And even on the beach, I am staying at a Sheraton, on Dec 16th,

I bid on priceline.......it was 85.00 for the room...it is a 3 star.

Oh, this will be my 5th time down there too:) so I have a good

grasp of the area.

I have also used priceline many times for hotels...and have paid as little as 28.00 for Grand Rapids, Michigan....

however, FLL hotels are MUCH more money lately..I have been trying for months to find something for under 90 in January..and its just NOT happening!

40.00 for a FLL hotel unless in a bad area and availability in the next few months I dont believe is possible.

I think you make a different point than the others have. Your point of it might not be possible to hit something at $40 in FLL in the desired zone is well taken. I personally was referring to the folks who say, "if you do get something for $40 in your zone....whew, look out!" That just isn't the case if the zone and star levels are chosen appropriately.

I think you make a different point than the others have. Your point of it might not be possible to hit something at $40 in FLL in the desired zone is well taken. I personally was referring to the folks who say, "if you do get something for $40 in your zone....whew, look out!" That just isn't the case if the zone and star levels are chosen appropriately.

Hi again:) you got my point exactly!!! Thanks:D

For the most desirable zones...near the port.....40.00 is

"usually"...operative word...Usually... not possible.

We've got a room at the Extended Stay America on 17th St. through Hotwire for $37/night. It shows as a 2 star hotel in the (D) Las Olas - Downtown - Port Everglades region. You can tell if it's the ESA because the only amenities are high speed internet and laundry.

We've got a room at the Extended Stay America on 17th St. through Hotwire for $37/night. It shows as a 2 star hotel in the (D) Las Olas - Downtown - Port Everglades region. You can tell if it's the ESA because the only amenities are high speed internet and laundry.

That's a great rate...what dates did you put in for your stay? When I went on HW the cheapest 2* hotel was at the airport for $99 for January travel dates. The Port Everglades hotel was listed as $189. :rolleyes:

A lot has to do when you are going also. Summer and early fall can have a lot of deals on Priceline and Hotwire.

I am also very experienced with these 2 and have gotten some great deals but the amount of deals decreases significantly when there are 8 ships in port (think of how many passengers there is at that time)... I also am not willing to stay in a 1 or 2 star hotel and I do not want to be in the next town or at a hotel that is not near any restaurants, etc. .

I would agree timing is everything with priceline, some years ago we got embassy suites for about 55 per night, I was trying for something for early feb and included the areas, downtown, beach , airport etc and thus far it wont accept 95 this is for 2 .5 stars and above A good link is betterbidding.com great insight and there is a link to an effective bidding concept

Biddingfortravel.com is another good site for info on bidding and prices folks are paying

I would just go with the Amerisuites. $79 isn't bad for a hotel near the port and if you go "cheap" you could (and probably will) end up in a "roach motel":eek: . I suppose you could take your chances with Priceline though. But you are probably right that the cost of cabbing it will more than likely end up costing you more than if you just stay at Amerisuites. After all, if you use Priceline you may end up farther from the port than you'd like to be. JMO though. Happy Cruising!! :D

My family is staying at the Beachcomber in Pompano Beach in Jan before a cruise. My niece is having a wedding there in the morning with a brunch, then we go to port for a cruise.

It is 11 miles from the port, but a beautiful hotel. However, they may have a minimum night stay at different times.

My concern is parking at the port. We are considering United Airport Parking.com. Has anyone ever used them?

Also, how is the parking at NCL in the port of Miami for a short cruise?

Thanks, Brenda

Archived