New Availability on Legend 3/11-3/18

BrittaniMV

Sadly our friends who were going to travel with us will be unable to make the voyage on the Legend 3/11-3/18. They just cancelled so that means there is an A1 category cabin open. I have read about limited availability on this voyage so I wanted to let everyone know about the new availability.

I do hope somone will have dinner with us. I hate the idea of being the poor lonely couple tucked in the corner:-(

Sadly our friends who were going to travel with us will be unable to make the voyage on the Legend 3/11-3/18. They just cancelled so that means there is an A1 category cabin open. I have read about limited availability on this voyage so I wanted to let everyone know about the new availability.

I do hope somone will have dinner with us. I hate the idea of being the poor lonely couple tucked in the corner:-(

On the Seabourn I don't think you ever have to worry about being the lonely couple stuck in the corner--unless you want to be! Our "Club" is very friendly, and always on the look out to make sure everyone is comfortable--bet you have many new friends before the life boat drill is thru--just check out the Sky Bar before or after the drill!

My husband wrote the previous reply, I will add to that....When you enter the dining room they will ask you where you would like to sit...you can request to sit alone...or to be seated at a large table so that you can meet other people. You will find that you get to know people on tours...and..around the pool..plus, as my husband said the Sky Bar. I if you play black jack..that also becomes a place of cordiality. If they have Trivia in the afternoon, that is a great meeting place..as well as at Tea. Have a great time..so sorry that your friends had to cancel. Lola [ps..we travel along most of the time..and meet lots of people. ]

Another option is to tell one of the assistant cruise directors (ACD) that you would like to sit at a hosted table a few evenings. The ACD makes the table assignments for the hosted tables. You simply accept the invitation or decline if you have received a better offer. The invitations are wating for you on your suite door when you get up in the morning.

The ship's principal officers, entertainers, cruise staff, guest lecturers host tables during the voyage. The only drawback from sitting at these tables is that they are oval-shaped but long and thin and usually seat 10 people. If the dining room is busy and there is a din in the air it can be difficult to have any conversation with your fellow passengers on the opposite end of the table. If you are seated on the very end, you may be limited to conversing with two people on the left and two on your right. This is why I affectionately refer to these tables as the West Berlin / East Berlin tables as you are isolated form the passengers on the other end.

For you solo sailors either new to Seabourn or considering booking, Seabourn is very keen to the needs of solo sailors and you will definitely be receiving invitations to dine at a hosted table most nights of the voyage.

On Seabourn, you never dine alone unless you want to. Bon Appetit!

Another option is to tell one of the assistant cruise directors (ACD) that you would like to sit at a hosted table a few evenings. The ACD makes the table assignments for the hosted tables. You simply accept the invitation or decline if you have received a better offer.

OK this explains a lot. I had a "altercation" with one of the ACDs on on my last cruise in March and had maybe one invitation to dinner. She must have felt we were bad company :D

Also, what constitutes a "better" offer?? :confused: Maybe I'm not understanding that comment.

Also, what constitutes a "better" offer?? :confused: Maybe I'm not understanding that comment.

Matt, sorry for the confusion as I am still somewhere between home and the Legend. The point I wanted to get across was, an invitation to dine at a hosted table is not a command performance (mandatory attendance). My use of the term "better offer" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps "other plans" would have been better. For example: a special birthday or anniversary or family reunion celebration; making new friends onboard that you really "clicked" with for a shared Indian Dinner; this sort of thing.

For you solo sailors either new to Seabourn or considering booking, Seabourn is very keen to the needs of solo sailors and you will definitely be receiving invitations to dine at a hosted table most nights of the voyage.

On Seabourn, you never dine alone unless you want to. Bon Appetit!

What this solo traveler did not understand was there are very few tables for 6 on Seabourn. I made it clear I did not want any "hosted table" invites, I thought I would do what I normally would do on RSSC or Silverseas and join a group at a table for 6. This did not work for me and I ended eating alone. OK I had my iPod and a good audiobook. :p

That's too bad that there are few tables for six. Tables for 10 or more are just too big. Tables for four can be ackward if you get seated with incompatible people.

BrittaniMV, that's too bad your friends had to cancel. One of these days I hope to be able to cruise with a group of friends. So far all my cruises have been with family (forced on us) or just Neil and I. While he's a sweetie, at times it would be nice to say "us gals are doing so and so and you guys can manage on your own"

Maybe one night we can have a cruise critic table.

Looking forward to meeting you (and Paul and John cubed, and the others) on March 11th.

Jackie

BB-It's really too bad that you didn't understand the M.O. for Seabourn before you arrived because, for singles and others, the hosted tables are the easiest and quickest way to begin meeting people on the ship and they are (usually) interesting and fun. Unlike RSSC and Silversea, it is sometimes awkward to stroll into the Restaurant at dinner and ask to be seated at a "large" table. Maybe they've started eating (dinner bell seems to ring at 7:30 PM for many Seabourn diners), they are with personal friends or "5" is a crowd. I hope you give the hosted tables a try next cruise. As for couples who want to eat at hosted tables, inform the ACD who is tasked with this chore that you want to be included X number of times and they will do their best to accomodate you (although not every night will be with the Captain). No one is "blackballed" unless they somehow really disgrace themselves.

BB....why did you NOT want to be on a "hosted" table? In 55 days we sat on many, and met new people every night! Only sat alone 1 night (before we understood how it all works) and hated it! We heard one bloke towards the end of our cruise state "I will only except invitations from Officers of HIGH RANK".......how bl**dy pretentious is that!! (and I DO hope that person reads CC)!!

I came into this world talking and haven't quit since !!:p I will LOVE the hosted tables !!!!!:D I was on a QE2 Tansatlantic / Canaries cruise and the crowd that met there voted me most social !:D I've never ever ordered room service either because I can sit in my room here at home !!:eek:

The hosted tables are also allow Seabourn to serve large numbers of people in the Restaurant within the same service "window." The system has the positive elements of the assigned table format of the large ships (socialable dining with other shipmates, concentrated, rather than dispersed, service) with the freedom of open seating, if you so desire. Pretty smart system, actually, and I'm surprised other cruiselines, such as RSSC and Silversea, don't use it.

That's too bad that there are few tables for six. Tables for 10 or more are just too big. Tables for four can be ackward if you get seated with incompatible people.
Jackie,

Dining with friends at a table for six is not a problem provided you reserve the table with the Maitre D'Hotel at least a day in advance. Showing up at the Restaurant at 8:00 or 8:30 pm and requesting a table for six or eight may be a challenge.

:confused: Maybe I'm just feeling a little dense this morning, but am I getting this right -- on Seabourn, the only way you are seated with folks you haven't previously met is to opt for one of the 'hosted' tables? That, unlike SS, you can't arrive in the dining room and ask to be seated with someone (anyone) else? Aboard SS we found that to be a fine way to meet other pax - once or twice ppl we didn't feel the need to know any further, and other times leading to excellent new acquaintanceships (a word??:o )

ltsally,

If you'd like to eat with another party that is prearranged, that's fine. If you want to eat alone that's fine. If you want to meet new people, just tell the Maitre' and he will put you at a table for 6 or 8 and it will be filled in with similar minded people. The flexibility is endless. The Maitre' Guillame on the Pride told me he loves a challenge. While we were eating lunch in the dining room on day we were also asked if we'd like to dine at the Veranda Cafe that evening. (this was before "Tastings 2") I find that on most nights the atmosphere in the Veranda is more calming.

Spontaneous seating with strangers in the Restaurant is possible but not easy. As previously noted, the large tables (they are all affixed to the floor) are utilized by the hosted tables. There are very few tables for 6--most are 4 or 2 tops. You can always pre-form a table with guests you might meet in the Club before dinner.

In 4 weeks our dining room visits were for two about twice. The Veranda outside in the tropics is the romantic setting, two others at the opposite end of the 6 seat tables didn’t matter.

Then we accepted hosted tables about 8-10 times, dined with friends we met 3-4 times and joined or started open tables at least 5 times. The open tables were mostly for 8-10, only once was it 4 and yes that wasn’t a perfect choice but neither were two of the hosted tables. So in sum open tables did work out well, just mention at the door that you’d like to join a larger table. Arriving with the Club crowd near 7:30 probably helps too.

We were pleased to be meeting others so accepting the hosted invitations seemed to be fine but it just came to mind that one difference for couples is that hosted tables use the custom of mixing up the partners while open tables seat you in pairs. For singles a hosted table will ensure no empty chair beside you, conversation on both sides. After all on Seabourn dining is both a culinary and a social event.

Bill

PS xplrcrzn, on the Spirit the huge tables in the forward corners are actually a second top over 3 small tables, so there is a bit of advance flexibility in table sizes.

And of course on one of the times Two4Sea "joined" an open table they met old Granny! (hope that wasnt one of the nights "that didnt work out too well :p) We also didnt have a very good experience on a table for 4 one night, wasnt that anyone did anything wrong, just we had nothing in common and very hard to converse. Hosted tables were great, (most of the time)..once we didnt like the "host" and twice we didnt like a couple of passengers......but there are plenty of other people to talk to!

If you don't mind, may I "weigh in" on the subject? One of the reasons I decided to jettison my plans to cruise Silversea next year and book the Seabourn Pride again was the delightful experience I had meeting so many people at dinner at the hosted tables. I have never traveled anywhere, and I travel solo often, where I felt more welcomed or included as on my Barbados-Barbados cruise on the Pride. Every night I had an invitation on my door to a hosted table, and I accepted them all. By the end of the cruise, I had met almost half the people on the ship! That led to conversations every day, since I saw my "dinner partners" around the ship and sat with them at shows, in the Sky Bar, joined them at trivia, and generally just felt much more comfortable and included.

I think Seabourn goes the extra mile to make a single traveler feel welcome, and words cannot express my appreciation for their thoughtfulness.

Jane ;)

If you don't mind, may I "weigh in" on the subject? One of the reasons I decided to jettison my plans to cruise Silversea next year and book the Seabourn Pride again was the delightful experience I had meeting so many people at dinner at the hosted tables.

Jane ;)

Jane while I do have a problem with Silverseas but do not write off RSSC/Silverseas. While they do not have Hosted Tables, they do have a lot of tables for 6 and Blackbird loved "joining a group". Unlike Archipelago :D I am more a listener. That why the night they sat me with another couple on Seabourn, it was not my cup of tea.

I enjoy meeting people at the tables for six and it is not a gotta show up at X time, which turned me off to Hosted tables in the first place.

OK I did seat with the Opera Lecturer from Hell three nights. But other than her, I only had one other night my table was strange. There was another CCer (that called me by Blackbird the next night) and who was gay with his SO. They like myself had many cruises under our belts. The other couple were on their first cruise and first time out of the US, and worked for a large Southern mega church. Talk that night was a little hard, but that could happen at a Hosted table. The next night the two guys and myself were at a table with another couple with a ton of cruises, and it was the best of my group tables for conversion. ;)

I've read several times about the "hosted tables" on SB. It seems fairly clear that pax are invited to join a table at a certain time for dinner. Is this something that is done with all pax? This probably seems like a "dumb" question, but I'm not sure I understand how it works. :rolleyes:

I've read several times about the "hosted tables" on SB. It seems fairly clear that pax are invited to join a table at a certain time for dinner. Is this something that is done with all pax? This probably seems like a "dumb" question, but I'm not sure I understand how it works. :rolleyes:

Yes it is done with all of the passengers, unless you specifically tell reception that you wish to not be included. As has been said previous, it's not a problem to decline the invitations.

Archived