Port Everglades departure --drop off luggage early?

marie61

Hi

We're booked on a Princess cruise next March embarking from Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale.

We would like to avoid the long lineup and wait to embark by showing up around 3pm. The problem is that we will already have checked out of our hotel and returned our rental car by 11 am. We would like to spend a few hours in Ft. Lauderdale, having a leisurely lunch and shopping but will be burdened with all our cruise luggage.

Is it possible to drop off the luggage early at the Port and leave it with a porter or some other secure location (we will have wine in our luggage ;) ), then return at 3 pm to pick up luggage and board.

Anyone ever done this?

Many thanks.

Hi Is it possible to drop off the luggage early at the Port and leave it with a porter or some other secure location (we will have wine in our luggage ;) ), then return at 3 pm to pick up luggage and board.

Once you drop your luggage off with Princess they'll eventually load it onto your ship to be delivered to your room. Why would you want to pick up your luggage and board when you could just arrive at 3pm, check in, go to your cabin where your luggage will probably be already?

As long as your luggage is tagged with your cabin number, just because you give it to the porter doesn't mean you have to check in right away.

thanks for the quick replies.

I looked into keeping the rental car--they'll charge us for another full day which I feel is a waste of money as we aren't driving around, just storing luggage.

Bequia, just to clarify: I can hand in our luggage, all tagged, not wait in any lines and just leave???? I can't imagine doing this at an airport these days...security would be all over you and I'd be waving bye bye to my plane! If true, this will solve our dilemma....

Bequia, just to clarify: I can hand in our luggage, all tagged, not wait in any lines and just leave???? I can't imagine doing this at an airport these days...security would be all over you and I'd be waving bye bye to my plane! If true, this will solve our dilemma....

That is correct. You can just hand over the luggage to the porters and leave (you may want to tip them a $1-$2 bag). You can check in later when you return to the port.

The luggage is xrayed before put on the ship.

I agree with the last poster - I'd keep the rental car and do your lunch then turn it in and take a shuttle to the pier.

But then again, I'm one who would board ASAP and spend the afternoon on the ship.

Hi, I agree with you 100%.....I get to the pier in the 10:30am range

and have always boarded before noon.:D :) The time goes by

quite quickly.

I am one of those who would much rather be on the ship

and I enjoy waiting at the port;)...for me, the lines have

never been bad!

Boarding the ship in the 3:00 hour has never entered my

plans:D

Archived