Icy Strait Point

cinnamon

I booked yesterday with Floyd of FISHES for our August cruise. They charge $150 per person. Their website says the excursion is only 3 hours.

That's pretty much in line with what it costs to run a boat up here. Figure $3.00 per gallon of fuel, 20 or 30 gallons per hour... Take 25% off the top for either ship commission, broker fee, office staff to do the bookings, or outright advertising, run a boat with 3 minimum, 6 maximum, and you've got a guy with an expensive professional license trying to amortize a $200,000 piece of equipment over 5 years using only a 75 day working season... Those are great rates!

-Case

Case,

I wasn't complaining about the rates, just responding to Yukon's reply to John. FISHES is only $24 more per person than the Celebrity excursion, which is shorter and I presume not as personal. Harv and Marv who I booked also are actually less than Celebrity with the crowded boats. I can't wait to enjoy these highly recommended excursions.

Case,

I wasn't complaining about the rates, just responding to Yukon's reply to John. FISHES is only $24 more per person than the Celebrity excursion, which is shorter and I presume not as personal. Harv and Marv who I booked also are actually less than Celebrity with the crowded boats. I can't wait to enjoy these highly recommended excursions.

Oh, I know you weren't complaining... Sorry, I guess a few key smilies were missed late last night. Most folks just don't understand what all is involved in some of these tours (money wise)...

-Case

Case,

Since I am a financial guy, I really appreciate all of the costs of running a business. Operating a fishing or tour boat isn't my definition of a get rich quick scheme. :D You definitely earn your fees. I am just glad there are folks like you out there that provide a more personal experience in a private tour, so we don't have to the cattle car shuffle.

We have just booked with Floyd Peterson for his Whale watch tour on May 30th, '07. There is just the two of us and he's looking to book up four more people. He will be waiting for us at 8:00 am as our ship (Celebrity Summit) arrives about 7:00 am.

I was all set to book my whale watching trip in Juneau but now I see I can book what looks like a great trip in Icy Strait Point as well, and since there are other things I'd like to do in Juneau, what do the "experts" suggest PLEASE? I am so confused! I want to make the most out of the little amount of time I will have, and it doesn't look like there is much I can do in Icy Strait. We are not that interested in fishing.

Case,

Since I am a financial guy, I really appreciate all of the costs of running a business. Operating a fishing or tour boat isn't my definition of a get rich quick scheme. :D You definitely earn your fees. I am just glad there are folks like you out there that provide a more personal experience in a private tour, so we don't have to the cattle car shuffle.

Q: How do you make a small fortune in the charter business?

A: Start with a large fortune!

Q: What are the 2 happiest days in a boat owner's life?

A: The day they buy it and the day they sell it.

Q: What's the definition of "boat"?

A: A boat is a hole in the water, into which foolish folks like me constantly pour our money.

:D

Touring Alaska (to me) is about the experiences you have and the people you meet. My favorite trips around SouthEast have been to towns and villiages where I didn't know anyone. Even as a "local", I can still find folks who are more "local" and have had more amazing experiences than I have... That's why I stay and tour close to home as much as I can...

Sorry for the philosophical rambling. I've got an engine being rebuilt on the boat, and it's a beautiful, calm, 30 degree, blue-sky day. The kind of day everyone wants to spend on the water... I guess if I rock in my office chair just right it could FEEL like I'm on the water... :o

-Case

I was all set to book my whale watching trip in Juneau but now I see I can book what looks like a great trip in Icy Strait Point as well, and since there are other things I'd like to do in Juneau, what do the "experts" suggest PLEASE? I am so confused! I want to make the most out of the little amount of time I will have, and it doesn't look like there is much I can do in Icy Strait. We are not that interested in fishing.

Short Answer: If you've got other things to do in Juneau, the whale watching at ISP is great!

Longer Answer:

Here's SouthEast Alaska in a nutshell: Out of the "standard ports of call" for a cruise, I would highly recommend a few general categories of excursion in each port... Each port offers other excursions as well, but these seem to be the major attractions for each port:

For Ketchikan: Fishing, flightseeing by Float Plane, bear viewing during the right season, Alaskan Native/Cultural experiences, shopping.

For Juneau: Fishing, helicopter flightseeing (including landings & dogsledding), whale watching, shopping.

For Skagway: Helicopter flightseeing (including landings & dogsledding), White Pass train ride, rent-a-car scenic drive, shopping.

For Hoonah (ISP): Fishing, whale watching, bear viewing during the right season, Alaskan Native/Cultural experiences.

For Sitka: Fishing, marine wildlife viewing (not specifically whales - puffins, otters, etc.), Russian/American history, Raptor Center, shopping.

Note the overlap... if, for example, whale watching is your priority, both Juneau and ISP would be good choices. If you have something in one port that you'd rather do instead, go for it, and pick up the whale watching at the other port.

Of those ports, Juneau is the largest city, Skagway is the only one you can drive out of, Hoonah is (IMHO) the most "wild", and Ketchikan and Sitka are both major hotspots on my personal list to just wander and explore aimlessly.

-Case

Barely any stores or restaurants, much more nature, very laid back. It felt like real Alaska and not just a tourist trap. We did the ATV excursion which was good if you like driving an ATV on remote trails. It would be a personal preference, if you like shopping and go-go-go, you wouldn't like ISP, if you want laid back nature, you would like it.

Thanks everyone for all the very useful info posted here since I asked the original question some time ago. Now that we are well into the New Year and our Christmas trip is past we are beginning to seriously research trips for our mid June cruise. I am reading all the advice and look forward to visiting ISP, maybe for some bear watching (hopefully!)

Cinnamon

I am looking forward to this port the most I think! I am wondering from those who have used Teckk Outfitters - do they combine fishing and whale watching in one tour? And for those "locals" on the board, how big are the boats that the cruise ship uses for the whale watching excursions? Is it going to be push and shove to see anything on those boats and am I better booking independent? The cost is higher with an independent than thru RCCL in this case and I know I will get better personalized service but I am wondering what kind of boat I will be on with RCCL?

I am looking forward to this port the most I think! I am wondering from those who have used Teckk Outfitters - do they combine fishing and whale watching in one tour? And for those "locals" on the board, how big are the boats that the cruise ship uses for the whale watching excursions? Is it going to be push and shove to see anything on those boats and am I better booking independent? The cost is higher with an independent than thru RCCL in this case and I know I will get better personalized service but I am wondering what kind of boat I will be on with RCCL?

We probably saw whales at least half of the time while we were fishing last summer in Icy Strait, very common. Most independent charters will try and show you whales if there is time when you are done fishing. Teckk Outfitters and FISHES are independent charters in town, also the Galley restuarant (907 945-3777) will be booking indpendent charters. The whale watching boat at Icy Strait Point holds around 200 people, some days it is more crowded then others, it has a top deck that is open, plus views from windows inside.

This is the only port that I have NOTHING planned... I did contact FISHES and then decided since I was doing whale watching in Juneau that I would not book. I think this will be a good day for alittle down time, and just walking the town... of course I have 4 months til the trip and we all know how our minds change from day to day

This is the only port that I have NOTHING planned... I did contact FISHES and then decided since I was doing whale watching in Juneau that I would not book. I think this will be a good day for alittle down time, and just walking the town... of course I have 4 months til the trip and we all know how our minds change from day to day

How many hours will you be in port? Unless you enjoy "down time" sitting on the ship, there's really not much to do that isn't an "excursion" in Hoonah.

If you're already whale watching and don't want to repeat the activity, the fishing is great at ISP. I prefer the independants over the ship tours, of course.

If nothing else, at least wander the town a bit. It's quite a unique little villiage. Find a fisherman and ask why they hate charter operators... Talk to a local about how they get food in the winter....

-Case

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there some choice at ISP for whale watching that is somewhere in between the large vessels the cruiselines use and the tiny fishing boats (like that shown on the FISHES web site)? Any help would be appreciated.

The fishing boats really are not that tiny! But the Icy Lady is a bigger boat then most here with Captain Chris Erickson, his website is tokriver.com there is a picture of his boat there. This website is mostly for bear hunts, but he does switch over to fishing/whale watching charters in the middle of June.

Archived