Cruise for a Cure

richrhon1

You may sign up for this fun and very worthwhile event on board. If you do not receive a flyer in all that mail that gets delivered to your cabin, just ask at the Front Desk. And as a participant last July and BC survivor, THANKS for your support!

I suggest you sign up as soon as you get the letter at your cabin mailbox. You'll get a tee shirt, and on the cruise I just got back from they ran out of size L and XL before the day of the walk. That left a choice of S, M and XXL. It was a great experience and I'll be doing it as long as it's offered on all my future cruises. There were those who couldn't do the walk, but sat on the deck and cheered us on and helped keep track of the laps. The survivors on board started out first.

We did the "on deck for the cure" walk last week on our cruise. alot of folks waited until the morning we were walking to sign up. we had about 90 people sign up, not sure if all of them walked or not. we had a lady who was recovering from cancer sitting and cheering each of us on through the walk. it was a privilege to do give to such a worthy cause. I have to admit, I had eaten breakfast, so I quit about half way through. My DH was a trooper and did the entire walk.

HAL matches every dollar we give!!

It's a FABULOUS program and I am so proud of HAL for doing this.

We did the "On Deck for the Cure" walk on Maasdam and fully intend to do it during our upcoming Noordam cruise.

We had a blast and think everyone else who did it with us enjoyed it tremendously. Such a good cause!!!

You will see it in the Daily Program and if for some reason you don't see it, ask at the office.

My DH and I did this when we were on the Westerdam 11/12 - 11/19. It was so much fun. It made us feel good to participate in such a worthy cause. For $15 you get a t-shirt (it's of nice quality too) and wristband and they had refreshments after. There was a group of four older ladies that couldn't complete the walk so they sat and cheered everyone on as they went. They would clap and cheer us on after every lap and certainly made us feel like we had our own cheering section!

What really surprised me was the lack of participation of fellow passengers. For a ship that had 1850 passengers there were probably around 50 or 60 people in the actual walk, if that.

Please keep in mind there is no pressure to complete all the laps. They are so appreciative for everyone who signs up and comes. Do what is comfortable for you and then enjoy watching the others. There is such a sense of spirit among the participants......it doesn't matter if all you can do is one lap or even less. Just sign up and come. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Dear richrhon1,

Continue The Spirit!

This is one of the pictures I took of some of the group on our cruise. Our walk took place the second day before our arrival back to NYC. I took it at the post celebration party held on the Lido-Aft-Pool Area where the Senior Staff including the Cruise Director, Hotel Manager and Captain served us Cold Pink Lemonade, Chilled Fresh Fruit and other goodies to those who walked. We HAD such a great time that those that were eating regular breakfast there were sorry they didn't participate.

We had about 85 people in our walk on the Most Perfect Morning Of The Entire Cruise.

We would hope other lines would adopt this concept.

My whole family will be participating in honor of so many. DW, myself, 21 yr old son, 18 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son. He is so excited to be able to do this. He did the "Race for the Cure" in rain and snow in Cleveland. It will be alot nicer to do it on a Caribbean Cruise. Thanks for all the great information. Signing up will be one of the first things we do when we get on the ship.

Do they have this program on all of the HAL cruises? I will be on the Zaandam in three weeks and would love to participate!

Yes, as they have stated on their website:

It is held on all 13 ships of the HAL Fleet

Also it is held if weather is permitting

And always at a day at sea

Ours was held on the second day out of NYC before arrival, at the end of the cruise. Also as stated - at sea.

Archived