Help with Explorer of the Seas

btcruz

I booked the Explorer of the Seas 12-17-06 cruise in June as a Christmas presentfor my son, his wife and his two kids (ages 8 and 12). We are also going. The price was about the same for two rooms as it was for four in a room. So I asked for connecting rooms with a door to both rooms. Gave my kids the RCCl book to them to look over, thinking this TA knew what she was doing (she told me she have been in buisness for many years AND this is the only web-site that you can book with that lets you use your Discover points!) Last month I looked on the web-site and the rooms we booked looked like they did not connect. I called the TA. She said yes they did. Then while filling out the Set Sail pass with my daughter-in-law. She wanted to see where the rooms were. I said, I don't think they connect but the TA said they did. So we called RCCl. They do NOT.

I paid an extra $40 for the rooms in June so they could have rooms with a door between them.

The ship is filled and the RCCL will not contact the other people in the cabin.

I think our only hope is to find the poeple with the next door room and change before will all unpack if they are willing. It's a lot to ask I know.

Will your vacation really suffer if you have to walk down the hall to see the other family members? I mean, I understand that you didn't get what you asked for, and maybe you have some recourse with your TA (like a refund of that portion of your fare??!!)

This is why we book with RCI directly. Also, I don't book my room unless I have the cruise brochure deck plans right in front of me--that way, I can see exactly what I'm gettin!

I hope the folks in the room you wanted are willing to move! If they're not, don't let it spoil your trip!

We're on the same cruise with you and we and our kids have a cabin side by side but no connecting door. I'm sure your cabins must be real close by. In prior years the kids were across the hall and it worked out fine. Now they are spoiled and want a balcony too.

If you are looking for the occupants of this stateroom in order to change rooms with them it would be a real hassle for them. Their set sail charge cards are already in order for that room. They would have to get on line with all the other disgruntled passengers at pursers office on the first day of their cruise. (a very big imposition IMO). I would just go with the flow and enjoy your cruise and take it up with your TA and let them give you some compensation for the inconvenience. Remember its VACATION !!! ENJOY

It's not me worried about being next to them. My room is down the hall. It's about them being being close to the kids. They will now either have the eight year old sleeping on the floor next to them or worry if she wandering the halls at night.

I did look at the room at the time of booking. It was a connecting room while on the phone with her. Room 8339.

Also I was using my Discover points for a discount.

I will not trust any TA again to do the job right or maybe RCCL made the mistake. Why would they in June, sell a connecting room on one side when the same group does not get the other?

Which 2 cabins do you have? 8339 does connect to 8341. I'm guessing you must have 8337 and 8339. If that is the case, you are justified in being upset with your TA. Maybe they can bump your family from the 2 inside (non-connecting) cabins to a nice, big, Junior suite for the 4 of them! ;)

The room doors are very close to each other. Ideally it would be nice to have connecting cabins however, if that doesn't happen, an 8 year old and 12 year old should be old enough to be in a room next door to their parents without connecting cabin doors. Many parents have their kids in room directly across the hall.

In my opinion, this really really really stinks.

The OP went OUT OF HER WAY to book connecting cabins, emphasizing repeatedly to the TA that the adult couple had young children and that they wanted two cabins with a CONNECTING DOOR for safety and supervisory reasons. This is certainly a very responsible, pro-active move, without a doubt.

This TA dropped the ball, big time.

Is it an unmitigated or irremediable disaster? No, of course not.

But what's wrong with expecting the service that you request?

If your TA admitted to you ( and even if not)... then you should contact the head of that office and demand something be done about this. The original plan was to have the kids and parents together in 2 combined rooms. This is a safety and convenience issue. I personally would not back down until all feet are on deck of the ship with appropriate sleeping quarters for all!!!!!

Archived