PG Sail Away Question

parislady40

We are going to take our first cruise on the PG. After being on the Windstar line for such a long time, we knew the perfect place to be for the sail aways from port. We loved getting there early and enjoyed the views as we left the port. I do understand from the board, that its beautiful everywhere, but where is that perfect sail away spot? Any ideas? Thanks.

I think the PG leaves at some ungodly hour - in any case Papeete views are not all that special.

I enjoyed the entry into Moorea the most. I think the best views were from the front of the ship. I recall the cruise around Tahaa was also pretty good as well. As you say the views are great almost everwhere.

Yeh, the sailaway on the pool deck used to be great, but now they leave at something like 1 a.m. So it's lost its charm, too bad. But if you're late night folks, then there's a disco in La Palette which would put you near the action. Then you can pop up to deck 8 if you want a broader view.

Thanks for the suggestions. Another question is whether there is a sailaway for each port. I do realize that I am on a different ship, but on the Windsurf, when you left port each day, there was an area called the Compass Rose, and it was the place to be. It is a ship with the same compliment of guests as the PG, and we would get together,sip cocktails, discuss the day's excursions,as they played Vangelis 1492-Conquest of Paradise! It was a not to be missed hour or so when we set sail. Oh the friends we met there.

I was just wondering if there something similar in that is there a daily sailaway? I do note that we leave Tahiti early in the morning, but just wondering for the other ports. Again, no comparison with the ships. Just a eager beaver:)

So many questions and so much time

Hi. I've never been yet, but am all excited for my first PG cruise. The departure times might vary by cruise, but I'm scheduled for a 10 pm departure (unless RSSC hasn't told me something I should know about).

Not sure what kind of sail away party (if at all) takes place at 10 pm, but I don't think we'll get any great views of PPT in the dark.

I am excited about our upcoming PG cruise....and it's still 10 months away! Am I bad or what? Our docs show us leaving at 2am. How do they handle muster drill if you leave in the middle of the night, or is that a non-issue when you cruise from Tahiti?

ParisLady, I just noticed your countdown clock. Are you on the Oct 24 sailing with us?

Skyview, Don't feel bad. We have been on the PG three times, most recently November 4 thru 12 thisyear and I still fantisize about the next cruise. It is called the Tahitian flu.

In answer to your question, the mandatory lifeboat drill is held about 10 am Sunday morning on the seven day cruise, and I presume the same time the first full day of the cruise on the longer itineraries. They don't have sail away parties on the PG. The first night they have a introductory party but the ship doesn't leave port until early morning as you know. I suspect they do this so the folks flying in from the states can make the transfer to the ship. At the other stops, some folks go up on deck, get a cocktail and watch the departure and sunset. There is no show created by man that matches the sunsets over the southseas islands.

No, they don't have sailaways from each port (or didn't), although you can make your own--we love any kind of sailaway, and are usually up on deck. One of the nicest is the "sailpast" the morning the ship goes from Raiatea around to Taha'a to the motu--that's very pretty, and you should be on deck on on your starboard balcony (this is on the 7-day itinerary.)

As for the departure from PPT, even when the departure was earlier, it was dark, and it is very pretty watching Papeete with all the lights, and the lights of Moorea.

Egret, I must have a BAD case of the Tahitian flu! We have 2 carribean cruises between now & when we board PG, but all I can think about is Tahiti! If there was just a way to get from the east coast of the US to Papeete without hours of flying!

I've been reading the boards, but if you have any suggestions for what to take or what not to miss while there, I'd love to hear them. We are divers, so we want to dive during the cruise, but if there are other things that we really shouldn't miss, please let me know.

SKyview, yes we are crusing with you on the 24th Oct 2007. We are so excited as well. We were last in Tahiti and her sister islands on the Windsong. Many cruises later, if we are asked our favorite crusing destination, and this is it. We will be sailing along with another couple, whom we travel with often. On top of it, it will be the birthday cruise for both of us ladies. It will be a great cruise I am sure. I do agree with the long flight over from the east coast. We are trying to decide if we should grin and bear the long nonstop from JFK, or do an overnight in LAX. From what I have been made to understand, Air Tahiti tends to change it's schedule quite a bit.I guess time will tell. Do you have a veranda cabin? We just want to wake up in the morning and breathe in the South Pacific air!

ParisLady, it's great to have someone else from the boards sailing with us! We are a group of 10, 8 of us being "extended family" and one couple that we have cruised with before. We all have veranda cabins, on deck 7, I believe. We have only cruised in the Carribean or Bermuda before, so this will be a new experience! We are going to spend a night in LA on the trip to Tahiti, and we have 2 nights at a hotel in Papeete pre-cruise. I am sooooo excited about this trip, Oct can't get here soon enough!

Archived