Dog on Constellation

espmass

On my cruise on the Connie, there was a woman passenger who brought along a dog. This was not a seeing eye dog or a hearing dog or anything like that. This was a miniature dog of some sort. We asked the asst maitre de how she did this and he said she had some sort of medical excuse. I'd sure like to know what sort of medical excuse allows you to bring along a dog! I did hear that several passengers complained that the dog allegedly urinated on the deck although I did not see this firsthand. Anyone from the cruise know why this dog was allowed?

On my cruise on the Connie, there was a woman passenger who brought along a dog. This was not a seeing eye dog or a hearing dog or anything like that. This was a miniature dog of some sort. We asked the asst maitre de how she did this and he said she had some sort of medical excuse. I'd sure like to know what sort of medical excuse allows you to bring along a dog! I did hear that several passengers complained that the dog allegedly urinated on the deck although I did not see this firsthand. Anyone from the cruise know why this dog was allowed?

There are many types of service animals and all you need is a doctors letter and the cruise line will accomodate you. We used to have a woman come into the supermarket I worked for part time who had a service parrot. The parrot did something with balancing her neck because of some problem she had. Whether these things are legitimate or not, I really don't know but as long as the doctor signs off on it, nothing can be done...

The dog in question WAS a service dog . . . a "therapy" dog. Dunno exactly what that means; I had several pleasant conversations with the dog's owner, and she said she had filled out all the paperwork and jumped through all the hoops to get permission to bring the dog on board.

I thought the dog was well behaved. However, if it urinated on deck (or in any other public areas), I'd certainly have a problem with that.

As Don stated there are quite a few types of service animals nowadays.

For further information/education see some of these links:

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

http://www.affluent.net/sara/ Service Animal Registry of America (SARA registers and certifies all species of service (assistance) and therapy animals, including: dogs, cats, primates, monkeys, birds, and horses)

Service Animals

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. "Seeing eye dogs" are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. However, there are many different kinds of service animals that assist persons with many other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities.

A few examples include:

• Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.
  • Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.
  • Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.
  • Alerting persons with seizures.
  • Condition signal assistance.

http://www.adai.org/services/default.asp

Service Dogs

Therapy Dogs

Facility Therapy Dogs

Special Needs Therapy Dogs

As Don stated there are quite a few types of service animals nowadays.

For further information/education see some of these links:

http://www.affluent.net/sara/ Service Animal Registry of America (SARA registers and certifies all species of service (assistance) and therapy animals, including: dogs, cats, primates, monkeys, birds, and horses)

OK, I'm really looking forward to seeing a service horse on a cruise. I bet he would have a hard time at the tender ports!

Seriously, though, I did see a piece on TV about a miniature horse that was used as a service animal. He had little rubber non-slip boots to wear inside buildings. I wonder if his owner could get a life-jacket for him...

Lisa

Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes and can perform numerous and valuable tasks.Unfortunally my six year old Boston Terrier only tasks are to quickly cleanup any food I drop on the floor and to alert me when the doorbell rings..............Frank :D

The dog in question WAS a service dog . . . a "therapy" dog. Dunno exactly what that means; I had several pleasant conversations with the dog's owner, and she said she had filled out all the paperwork and jumped through all the hoops to get permission to bring the dog on board.

I thought the dog was well behaved. However, if it urinated on deck (or in any other public areas), I'd certainly have a problem with that.

I imagine that the line told the woman where her dog was supposed to go to do its business and that may well have been on a deck that later got hosed down. Dogs aren't able to use toilets, after all! If you have a problem with that, that is a shame, but it is well within the cruiseline's right (and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities act) to make accomodations for service animals.

I personally find it "inconvenient" when my pathway is blocked or I get crowded in an elevator by a person in a wheelchair, but that person has EVERY RIGHT TO BE THERE. My convenience does not supersede their right.

I was on the Constellation cruise last week with the dog in question and did witness it urinating on the 11th deck. After the dog finished the owner went over to an unused lounge chair with a towel on it, took the towel and wiped up the urine and then PUT THE TOWEL BACK ON THE LOUNGECHAIR!

I do realize that service dogs come in all shapes and sizes. However, since this dog did not accompany the passenger at all times I could not help but wonder. To Drew B, I did not say I had any problem with the dog being on board and never said it bothered me. All I wondered was how they managed it and was curious as to what type of medical excuse this particular person had to require the dog. I am the ultimate dog lover and just returned from picking up my dog from 12 days at the kennel.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder, I'm hard of hearing and my German Shep definitely wakes me up if any noise occurs that she thinks I should know about, maybe I should get my doctor to sign something so I can take her, I'd definitely have the buffet to myself!!!! :p And this is a joking post in case anyone is wondering, ohhhhh also my two pugs serve as wonderful foot warmers for me, maybe they could go too as ummmm foot therapy dogs? They would definitely enjoy a cruise. But then they like staying with "gramma and grampa" while we're gone too.......... :confused:

I was responding to "Older Sister", not you. She said she had a problem with the peepee. I would, too, if the woman was not following X's instructions as to where to walk her dog. However, if she walked the dog where she was told, the peepee is just a fact of life... Moreover, in an unfamiliar and (for dogs) uninviting environment, I wouldn't be too hard on a dog who had accidents. Even a well-trained service animal.

I do remember seeing on one of the cruise shows that they set up an area for the dog(s) sort of like a sandbox. Service dogs are often in unfamiliar areas and it's up to their person to make sure they have the opportunity to relieve themselves frequently.

I had heard the dog was on the pool deck and the accident happened there. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea. As one writer said earlier, they observed an accident and it was on deck 11 and it was wiped up with a towel from a lounge chair. Sorry, but after observing this dog several times, and after observing the passenger, I find it hard to believe this was an actual service dog of any kind. I realize I will get slammed for saying that but I'm entitled to my opinion too. And by the way, I work with a disability program so I am not entirely unknowledgeable on the topic.

:eek: There was a dog on the Century 11/13 sailing. It was a very small dog, it was with a woman who was older and appeared to be by herself. I really don;t think she was handicapped in any way. In fact the dog sat next to me while I was at a slot machine, I think I heard the little critter growl at me, he then calmed down, when his owner told him they just won $ 1.25 on their machine. I had to move, couldn;t take it. I am a serious gambler after all.

I had heard the dog was on the pool deck and the accident happened there. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea. As one writer said earlier, they observed an accident and it was on deck 11 and it was wiped up with a towel from a lounge chair. Sorry, but after observing this dog several times, and after observing the passenger, I find it hard to believe this was an actual service dog of any kind. I realize I will get slammed for saying that but I'm entitled to my opinion too. And by the way, I work with a disability program so I am not entirely unknowledgeable on the topic.
the person that said the dog had an accident and wiped it with a towel on a lounge and then put the towel back on the lounge had posted like once or twice, sometimes people do things just to stir the pot, I sure didn't put alot of stock into it.

Also being a serious animal lover, my only regret is that I have never found a 'service' that I can train my great dane to do so she can accompany me on cruises. Her best trick is to lean against people when she wants to be loved.

Since this is not an entirely serious thread I will mention that twice on my last cruise, men returned from the rest rooms outside the Fleet Bar telling of feces on the floor from someone missing the toilet. I would take a little dog pee over this situation any time!

They have a 6' by 6' box on an unused open deck for service animals. Some ships use mulch, some actually have grass.

I do think it is within the ship's rights to refuse passage of dogs. Sorry. I know people have disabilities that are beyond their control. I do feel for them.

However, I know that many people are refused passage if they are ill or have a life threatening illness or are late in their pregnancy. That's life.

One service dog isn't going to ruin a cruise but what if everyone had one? Then what would the line do?

:eek: There was a dog on the Century 11/13 sailing. It was a very small dog, it was with a woman who was older and appeared to be by herself. I really don;t think she was handicapped in any way. In fact the dog sat next to me while I was at a slot machine, I think I heard the little critter growl at me, he then calmed down, when his owner told him they just won $ 1.25 on their machine. I had to move, couldn;t take it. I am a serious gambler after all.

Slotaddict, I was on at cruise, too, and I remember the little old lady with her tiny dog. I figured the dog must be some sort of service animal, but wondered what could a dog THAT TINY do? He was a cute little dog, tho.:)

I do think it is within the ship's rights to refuse passage of dogs. Sorry. I know people have disabilities that are beyond their control. I do feel for them.

However, I know that many people are refused passage if they are ill or have a life threatening illness or are late in their pregnancy. That's life.

One service dog isn't going to ruin a cruise but what if everyone had one? Then what would the line do?

Can you just see the newspaper and TV reporters if they refused someone with a service animal. We may like it but public relations nightmare...

I know someone with a common medical condition who has a dog, the family pet. She also has a letter from her doc describing the medical necessity of traveling with her service dog. But her dog is not trained. No one questions it and now she brings the family pet with her wherever she chooses. She is hoping to get disabled plates for her car despite that she does not need it.

I see this and wonder if Karma is going to kick in. Careful who you pretend to be.

I fail to see the sense of an argument that we disallow women who are too far along in their pregnancy to sail so we can also disallow the boarding of a person who is paralyized on one side (or has some other disability) and needs a service animal for assistance. HELLO!!!!

Sure, you may have one person in a hundred who board with service dogs not be on the up and up. We are going to disallow the other 99 to board with their service animal because we MAY let one cheater slip through? Wake up people! The disbled are entitled to live as full a life as possible and if that requires a service animal then so be it. If I happen to be 'inconvenienced' or have my idea of the ambiance of the cruise spoiled, then too bad. Thank God I have two good arms, one good leg and one bionic, fairly good one and do not need this help. If at any time in the future I do need this assistance I will pray for the strength to forgive the people who do not think I am entitled to all the help I can find.

My sister-in-law has a little Yorkie and she won't go anywhere anymore without him. They are traveling by air over Christmas and to be assured her little dog can fly "in cabin" without paying for him, she had her doctor do the necessary paperwork stating he is a "therapy" dog for her "nerves". I hope she doesn't find out she can take him on cruises as she definitely would.

P.S. I also have a little tiny dog (thus the Cujo part of Cujosmom) and while I'd give anything to take her on cruises with us (for my "nerves" lol), I just would never even try.

I agree that this situation clearly is not the norm but I do question these "service dogs". So what happens if a person is traveling alone with a service dog and does have a seizure? Who is going to help her and take care of the dog? I am just asking because this is something new to me.

I have never seen a dog onboard a ship.

By the way, I have a dog but don't think they belong on ships. I guess if someone absolutely had to travel with a dog- to visit a family member or something that is one thing. But I don't think a cruise is the best place to take one's service dog.

Archived