Dog on Constellation

espmass

I fail to see the sense of an argument that we disallow women who are too far along in their pregnancy to sail so we can also disallow the boarding of a person who is paralyized on one side (or has some other disability) and needs a service animal for assistance. HELLO!!!!

Sure, you may have one person in a hundred who board with service dogs not be on the up and up. We are going to disallow the other 99 to board with their service animal because we MAY let one cheater slip through? Wake up people! The disbled are entitled to live as full a life as possible and if that requires a service animal then so be it. If I happen to be 'inconvenienced' or have my idea of the ambiance of the cruise spoiled, then too bad. Thank God I have two good arms, one good leg and one bionic, fairly good one and do not need this help. If at any time in the future I do need this assistance I will pray for the strength to forgive the people who do not think I am entitled to all the help I can find.

I don't think anyone is arguing against service animals for those truly in the need but i believe there is a suspicion that some of this is phoney. Reminds me of being in Disney World a few years ago and seeing this one early 20s couple all week. One day she was in the wheelchair and the next he was and on, and on all week. They got to the front of all the lines all week, didn't look like anything was wrong with either one.

I get so depressed with out my dog by my side so I will see if I can get a Dr's excuse for bringing him on my next cruise. He will be very happy to clean the plate.

Seriously, I feel for people with disabilities and feel very furtunate I do not have any yet.

Here in Springfield, MO. a woman has a monkey as a service animal. The monkey did nothing else but comforting the owner.

Here is a link if you want to read about it. http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612130423

I too was on this cruise, and had drinks and dinner with the woman with the dog several times. On the last night of the cruise she broke down in tears because of all of the animosity she experienced on the ship from passengers unhappy with her animal companion.

She confessed that she suffers from severe depression that is not responsive to medication, and that the dog is her therapy dog.

The dog weighed about 3 pounds, so I can't imagine that it pees more than a tablespoon or 2 at a time, but in any event she trained him to go in her stateroom shower.

The dog, named Saltana, was adorable and very cuddly. He had hair, not fur, so he didn't shed on my black tuxedo. The owner, named Shannon, was quite a character, unlike anyone I've ever met on a ship.

Her eccentricity made the cruise that much more memorable. We had a blast with her. I feel sorry for people who were upset by her, but this cruise was FILLED with complainers, such as one of our table mates who stormed out of the dining room because his steak wasn't done to his liking.:rolleyes:

It wouldn't be the first time the federal government made a mistake.

Anyway, that was just my two cents. Not a raging debate. I probably wouldn't care if there was a little well behaved dog on a ship. Just something I haven't seen and this is probably an isolated incident. I doubt that many people travel on cruises with service dogs.

I get so depressed with out my dog by my side so I will see if I can get a Dr's excuse for bringing him on my next cruise. He will be very happy to clean the plate.

Seriously, I feel for people with disabilities and feel very furtunate I do not have any yet.

Here in Springfield, MO. a woman has a monkey as a service animal. The monkey did nothing else but comforting the owner.

Here is a link if you want to read about it. http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612130423

OMG. Now I am speechless and like this woman, a realtor.

I don't think anyone is arguing against service animals for those truly in the need but i believe there is a suspicion that some of this is phoney. Reminds me of being in Disney World a few years ago and seeing this one early 20s couple all week. One day she was in the wheelchair and the next he was and on, and on all week. They got to the front of all the lines all week, didn't look like anything was wrong with either one.

At Great America, they allow the entire party to jump the line. It's a favorite ploy of kids. And all of it makes it that much more challenging for those that really need consideration.

Slotaddict, I was on at cruise, too, and I remember the little old lady with her tiny dog. I figured the dog must be some sort of service animal, but wondered what could a dog THAT TINY do? He was a cute little dog, tho.:)

I wonder if she took him to dinner. :confused:

espmass excuse me, but as a handicapped person who takes a couple of cruises each year, i find your use of the terminology "excuse" offensive. i have never thought of myself as needing an "excuse" for any treatment that the laws of this country tell me I have the right to. I sincerely hope that you never find yourself needing consideration and assistance as a handicapped person. I am thankful that the cruise lines administer the law and not you. i dont have to provide an "excuse" to them, but I do provide a doctor's certificate, as the passenger in question probably did also.

I too was on this cruise, and had drinks and dinner with the woman with the dog several times. On the last night of the cruise she broke down in tears because of all of the animosity she experienced on the ship from passengers unhappy with her animal companion.

She confessed that she suffers from severe depression that is not responsive to medication, and that the dog is her therapy dog.

The dog weighed about 3 pounds, so I can't imagine that it pees more than a tablespoon or 2 at a time, but in any event she trained him to go in her stateroom shower.

The dog, named Saltana, was adorable and very cuddly. He had hair, not fur, so he didn't shed on my black tuxedo. The owner, named Shannon, was quite a character, unlike anyone I've ever met on a ship.

Her eccentricity made the cruise that much more memorable. We had a blast with her. I feel sorry for people who were upset by her, but this cruise was FILLED with complainers, such as one of our table mates who stormed out of the dining room because his steak wasn't done to his liking.:rolleyes:

Now I have heard everything. She has to bring a dog because she suffers from depression! I can't believe that is a medical excuse and makes a mockery out of the whole "seeing-eye" dog thing. That is taking things too far. No offense to the woman, I am sure she loves her little dog but I am willing to bet that what she gets depressed about is not bringing her dog with her on cruises. I read on Princess about a woman who sounds exactly the same way as the passenger you described. No legitimate handicaps- just excentric and unwilling to travel with out her pet. That is what I was getting at- lots of people feel the same way and they have to cope! She has money to burn and a doctor that is will to take it.

I do think it is within the ship's rights to refuse passage of dogs. Sorry. I know people have disabilities that are beyond their control. I do feel for them.

However, I know that many people are refused passage if they are ill or have a life threatening illness or are late in their pregnancy. That's life.

One service dog isn't going to ruin a cruise but what if everyone had one? Then what would the line do?

That's like saying that one person in a wheelchair isn't going to ruin a cruise but what if everyone had one? Seriously, if there were tons and tons of people in wheelchairs on a ship, it would be a nightmare. You wouldn't be able to get in an elevator. The theater would be a disaster. The dining room would be chaos. But SO WHAT? They have every bit as much right to be there as the rest of us. And fortunately, the odds seem to make it work out that only a small percentage of passengers require wheelchairs and an even smaller percentage need service animals...

And as for those who talked about Federal law (including myself to make a point earlier), I don't think that applies here. I doubt the ships are subject to U.S. jurisdiction on this. I think they are simply choosing to do what is right.

It wouldn't be the first time the federal government made a mistake.

Anyway, that was just my two cents. Not a raging debate. I probably wouldn't care if there was a little well behaved dog on a ship. Just something I haven't seen and this is probably an isolated incident. I doubt that many people travel on cruises with service dogs.

Actually rebeccalouise they do, I've seen one on both my cruises, they are exactly what they say "working" they don't get petted or spoiled, they do what they are meant to do. I am pretty sure you don't know anyone that has seizures or if you do, you aren't aware of what they are or do. A service animal for someone with seizures can "sense" that a seizure is coming and warns the person through a signal unique to the dog and owner, that way a person with a seizure disorder can get to a place, like a bed or couch where they will be safe and not fall or hurt themselves. Any grand mal seizure that lasts long enough that the dog can't be taken care of will mean that the person is dead from lack of oxygen, they typically only last minutes.

I wonder if perhaps you need a good dose of compassion, indicating that "too bad, so sad, your handicapped so just stay home and don't bother those of us that are "normal", that attitude is truly sad, and I'm sure one day that life will deal you something that is sad, because after all that is life. In the mean time I'll stick my bionic ear on my head and wave you goodbye.

Tuggers, I think you're on the March 12th sailing on Constellation, if so I can't wait to meet you, we can compare doggie pics. I want a great dane puppy next!!! That will fit perfect in my little dog family:D

I was on the Constellation cruise last week with the dog in question and did witness it urinating on the 11th deck. After the dog finished the owner went over to an unused lounge chair with a towel on it, took the towel and wiped up the urine and then PUT THE TOWEL BACK ON THE LOUNGECHAIR!

You are kidding right?:eek:

If i would have seen this happen I would certainly have said something to this woman! The least she could have done was make sure it was put in the dirty towels! And I thought I had seen it all! this was probably some rich old lady that could careless about anyone else but herself and her precious foo foo! :rolleyes:

I am happy that some of you have never had or had loved ones who suffer from severe depression. But if this or a plethora of other illnesses or disabilities ever is experienced by you or yours, you might regret your

No legitimate handicaps

crack. I fail to understand people who are so closed minded to others suffering. There but for the grace of God go any of us. Making a suffering persons life easier by allowing these dogs takes so little from us and adds so much to their enjoyment of life. Are you really so cold as to actually believe that you should be the arbiter of what another needs or have you just not thought this through?

Maybe this lady was legit,maybe not,who am I to judge?My last 2 cruises,one on the Retired Horizon,the last on the Mercury in May had a passenger with a service dog.In May it was a mixed-lab the was assisting a gentleman who was going blind.She was all-business with her service harness on but was friendly when he removed it.A couple years ago there was an article I believe it was in the Captains Club mailout about the first service dog on a M-class ship.They put Fake-turf on the owners balcony and on a secluded spot on one of the upper decks........................Frank:)

To Leoandhugh- EXCUSE me for using a term that offended you. I did not intend it to be taken the way you did and frankly, I see nothing wrong with the term. I find your response totally offensive because you have now implied that I am unfeeling and uncaring simply because I used a term you did not like. You also ASSUME that I am not handicapped or disabled and that I do not need assistance.

To Leoandhugh- EXCUSE me for using a term that offended you. I did not intend it to be taken the way you did and frankly, I see nothing wrong with the term. I find your response totally offensive because you have now implied that I am unfeeling and uncaring simply because I used a term you did not like. You also ASSUME that I am not handicapped or disabled and that I do not need assistance.

Archived