Aggresive Porters in Ft. Lauderdale

stones902

In November, we sailed on the Radiance of the Seas in Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale. Since we made our own travel arrangements and stayed the evening before at a local hotel, our party decided to take the hotel's shuttle service to Port Everglades on the morning of our cruise. Upon arrival, there were several signs posted on the walls of the terminal building indicating words to the effect that baggage handlers are salaried employees that that they should not be tipped. We checked our bags at the curb with one of these gentlemen and walked into the terminal building. One of our party (the last guy to walk into the building) got a pretty severe scolding from the porter about not receiving a tip. He got pretty nervous about what might happen to our luggage and slipped the porter a few bucks.

I think the policy on tipping baggage handlers needs to be clarified. Signs are pretty clearly posted that we were not supposed to tip the porters, however, the guy who loaded our luggage was clearly angry that we did not provide a gratuity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tipping and understand it is a part of travel and cruises in particular. I do object however to following a posted policy and being harrased because of it.

Anyone else have this experience in Port Everglades?

ALWAYS!!!!

I now tip for two reasons: the first is I try to avoid an unpleasant beginning to my vacation, the second is I look at it as insurance - otherwise I might have my luggage damaged or missing!!

It's up to the cruise line to do something about it!! They obviously don't want to!!!

I agree.even though it says no tipping,we do.........I will never forget one time while changing planes in DFW,I didnt have change for a tip...........my bags got lost....................I always tip...................

I think the policy on tipping baggage handlers needs to be clarified. Signs are pretty clearly posted that we were not supposed to tip the porters, however, the guy who loaded our luggage was clearly angry that we did not provide a gratuity.

We cruised from Port Everglades in late October. When we were getting our luggage from the hotel shuttle that brought us there, I saw the sign you're referring to and I pointed it out to my husband. One of the baggage handlers saw/heard me do this, and he told me (pleasantly!) that the sign did NOT apply to them-- they work for the port and not the cruiselines, and they are NOT salaried. Of course, we tipped him (he turned out to be the one who helped us); we've always tipped the baggage handlers.

I believe that the "porters"--the ones referred to in the signs--are those who help take your luggage from inside the port during disembarkation. You know, the ones who have those dollies just large enough for one family's luggage. The handlers outside when you first arrive, though, are longshoremen who should be tipped.

Similarly, the baggage handlers who check you in outside an airport, where you check your bags before you ever go inside, are not salaried. They work solely for tips.

Cruise lines cannot control ports. Ports are regulated by Port Authorities and labor unions. They can complain or comment all day about things like tipping signs but those comments fall on deaf ears.

Cruise lines get blamed for enough, no need to add to the list.

We cruised from Port Everglades in late October. When we were getting our luggage from the hotel shuttle that brought us there, I saw the sign you're referring to and I pointed it out to my husband. One of the baggage handlers saw/heard me do this, and he told me (pleasantly!) that the sign did NOT apply to them-- they work for the port and not the cruiselines, and they are NOT salaried. Of course, we tipped him (he turned out to be the one who helped us); we've always tipped the baggage handlers.

I believe that the "porters"--the ones referred to in the signs--are those who help take your luggage from inside the port during disembarkation. You know, the ones who have those dollies just large enough for one family's luggage. The handlers outside when you first arrive, though, are longshoremen who should be tipped.

Similarly, the baggage handlers who check you in outside an airport, where you check your bags before you ever go inside, are not salaried. They work solely for tips.

Sounds like the sign is misleading. However we always tip the porters at pier and at airports and everything has been fine.

I now tip for two reasons: the first is I try to avoid an unpleasant beginning to my vacation, the second is I look at it as insurance - otherwise I might have my luggage damaged or missing!!

Ditto! Getting into an argument that early in one's vacation is not fun. I tend to hold a grudge, so I refuse to mix-it-up with these guys. Much easier to give them a couple bucks and GET ON THE SHIP!

This whole tipping thing in the travel industry seems to have gotten out of control, IMHO. I'm rather generous when the service provided meets my expectations. I'll always tip, but it gets my goat when I'm reminded BEFORE the service is provided that a tip is expected.

We always tip the baggage handlers whether they work for the cruiseline or not.

We have not had any problems our last 2 cruises but, on our first in 2002 on Voyager of the Seas was another story.

Some of RCCL's porter's were telling all of us when we got off our RCCL transfer to the ship in Miami that they had better get a tip if we wanted to insure that our luggage ended up on the ship.:eek:

We planned on tipping anyway but, it pissed me off at the same time that these people would make those threats.

Bob:)

I confess that I did not see the sign when we checked in for the Jewel, but I would have tipped the guy anyway. I gave him $5 for 3 bags & he seemed happy enough with that. All 3 bags arrived safely and promptly.

The baggage handlers at the port of Los Angeles are unionized longshoremen, and they are salaried. I don't know how it works anywhere else. Yes, we tip them too - the water in the channel is pretty yucky.:eek:

The sign seems to have come from the Port Authority. They might be the one to ask about the sign. In Miami, I did not tip, or was refused I forget), the RCI uniformed personnel for the airport transfer. We carried our bags from the bus to the terminal. On the return their were porters clearly not in RCI uniform that helped us out, with proper tip of course.

PORT EVERGLADES DEPARTMENT 954-523-3404

1850 Eller Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316-4201 FAX 954-525-1910

Port Director: 954-523-3404 Ext. 3601

Deputy Director: 954-523-3404 Ext. 3604

Just ran out to Port Everglades (Lauderdale) and read the Cruise Guide. The words "tip" and "porter" appear twice; each time stating that tips are optional. Regardless, we tip.

Their 2007 Cruise Guide is pretty cool. Very basic info and worth a quick scan by new cruisers. Answers many of the questions posted on cc. It can be had from here.

CoronaCpl...I must say you went beyond the call of duty.

There certainly is a huge difference between "they should not be tipped" as stated in the original post and what you have conveyed you read in the Cruise Guide. Is the Cruise Guide a posted sign? Sounds like there is conflicting info at the port. Best to be safe and slip the guy a couple bucks it just might keep the smuggled liquor bottles from being smashed all over the clothes.

We always have tip money visible in hand when we unload our luggage at any port. We get immediate and courteous service from a porter who points to his name tag and says his name for us. We have never had a problem. We also always thank him by name and tell him how much we appreciate the good service.

We sailed out of Port Everglades in November - the porter who approached us was friendly and assisted our group with information on boarding as well as info on the Radiance (he had just gotten off the week before!) and we had many first timers in our group. He also assured that one of our group members was provided a wheel chair and he personally wheeled her onboard! We tipped him $20 and he deserved every penny...he was a really nice man.....wish I could recall his name!!!

I know what some of you are saying about tipping someone for moving your luggage 3 feet....:rolleyes: but when you get a porter like the one we had, he really earned it!

We sailed the Radiance 11/25 and had the porter question my husbands tip amount. For 2 couples we did have a lot of bags. My DH being the last in line gave him some amount and I'm not sure what but the porter stopped and looked at the amount and then at my DH who gave him a more money to make sure our bags got on the ship. I guess they do have you weeks comfort in their hands with all your clothes and whatnot in the bags on their cart. Leaving we did not have the same experience with the porters seeming more laid-back and even finding our bags when we couldn't. Of course maybe dirty clothes aren't as important as the clean ones you start out with!

Thanks for all the replies to my original post.

Again, I don't remember the exact wording of the sign but it in essence discouraged tipping. I agree with the posts that it's definitely better to be safe (and a few buck poorer) than sorry when it comes to your luggage on vacation. I was just taken aback by the attitude of the guy who "helped" us. We did end up tipping him.

I also agree that it's not RCL's fault about this problem. These are employees of the port authority and not RCL, Princess or any particular cruise line. I am sure however that all the big cruise lines get plenty of calls and letters regarding passengers being shaken down for tips.

BTW, I definitely don't believe that the failure to give a tip gives a luggage handler, porter or anyone else the right to "lose" a passengers luggage.

Just my thoughts....

Some of RCCL's porter's were telling all of us when we got off our RCCL transfer to the ship in Miami that they had better get a tip if we wanted to insure that our luggage ended up on the ship.:eek:

I hope they were joking. Otherwise, I would have given them a "special" tip right there on the bus!

According to Berlitz, Miami and Ft. Laud porters are the worst for demanding tips.

I hope they were joking. Otherwise, I would have given them a "special" tip right there on the bus!

According to Berlitz, Miami and Ft. Laud porters are the worst for demanding tips.

No...they were not kidding at all. Their tone was really sarcastic and smug.

It did not give us a good feeling about the experience for sure.

There were probably 30-40 of us that got off the transfer and the porters were waiting for us when we all got off the bus.

We could have made a big deal of it but, wanted to make sure our luggage ended up on the ship.

That was the only time that we ever had that problem.

Our last 2 cruises the porters seemed to be much more pleasant to deal with.

Bob:)

I was on a cruise in November, and I thought the sign said tipping not necessary, not that we are not to tip. My rule of thumb is to tip well and tip often. It always seems to make things much smoother and much less stressful. I also figure that many service employees - room attendants, shuttle drivers, porters, etc. - don't have the opportunity to go on as many nice vacations as I am able to, and it feels nice to spread the wealth and good cheer.

I have no problem with the tipping, but I do have a problem with the implied threat that your luggage may not make it if you don't tip or tip well enough..

It makes no difference what port we have sailed from, even surprisingly on our Disney cruise it was actually the worse 'demand' we ever had.

Bev

And you believed him? Ever hear of the Longshoreman's Union?

Archived