Aggresive Porters in Ft. Lauderdale

stones902

i dont try to figure out who they are,i just greet them and i tip them very well,and am friendly to them,its just my way of saying(hey i appreciate you taking care of my things,and how hard you work):p :rolleyes:

Of course I haven't been to this port, but if the sign was a legitimate one by a proper authority then there is a reason for it. Some of you maybe the same ones who get all upset when someone talks about sneaking drinks onboard.

Its possible, and I'm just guessing here, if the workers are properly compensated as the OP's mentioned sign says, then the aggressive porters may cause tax problems for the ones who do follow the rules. Isn't that was this thread is really about, not being too cheap to tip, but following the rules?

I also always tip the baggage handlers/porters. I really do appreciate them lugging my crap around for me. I would probably end up losing it because I start out in a "fog" of anticipation. BUT I don't necessarily tip anyone else. We always always always tip our room steward/ess very very well! And in cash directly to them. But the dining room, etc. depends on if we even use the service, and how it was, in regards to the size tip we leave. I really hate it when "automatic tips" are charged. I'm sorry but there have been times in my travels that the person did not deserve a tip. (or the job). Not to mention that when I am given nice service I tip 20 percent, not 15.

We always tip baggage handlers to ensure luggage gets on the ship. When we were on a Princess cruise in Sept. we had exceptional service at the International Cafe and we were trying to figure out how to give this man money without having to share it with everyone. We learned his son's name and got a card telling him how nice his Dad was and we put money in the card.

We sailed the Radiance 11/25 and had the porter question my husbands tip amount. For 2 couples we did have a lot of bags. My DH being the last in line gave him some amount and I'm not sure what but the porter stopped and looked at the amount and then at my DH who gave him a more money to make sure our bags got on the ship. I guess they do have you weeks comfort in their hands with all your clothes and whatnot in the bags on their cart. Leaving we did not have the same experience with the porters seeming more laid-back and even finding our bags when we couldn't. Of course maybe dirty clothes aren't as important as the clean ones you start out with!

Had the same experience in Ft. Lauderdale. Tipped $5.00 for 6 bags and got pretty bad attitude from the dude until we gave hima few more bucks. Definitly left a bad taste in my mouth for Port Everglades.

I did not look for any signs a few weeks ago when going on the Jewel out of FLL. I gave the guy ten bucks for four bags and of course he was happy. To be truthful, I am usually so excited and ready to get on the ship that I just want to give them the bags and get inside to check in. I have witnessed some of those guys with other passengers and they can be quite rude if you don't take care of them.

I do know this, I don't care for the set up for cruising out of FLL. The terminals are dated compared to Miami and Pt. Canaveral. That will now determine which ships I take in the future. Give me Miami anyday.

On our latest Enchantment cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale we experienced the most disorganized embarkation of any of our previous cruises. Even with priority boarding it was total anarchy. Cape Liberty does it the best by far. Also my DW forgot to tip the porter at the Barcelona pier last month and wouldn't you know it, the bag she checked ended up badly damaged when it arrived on board. The entire wheel casing was ripped out. Coincidence? Not likely. Unless it's a very long cruise like a transatlantic I always carry all my luggage on and off the ship. Just another reason to pack light.

We cruised from Port Everglades in late October. When we were getting our luggage from the hotel shuttle that brought us there, I saw the sign you're referring to and I pointed it out to my husband. One of the baggage handlers saw/heard me do this, and he told me (pleasantly!) that the sign did NOT apply to them-- they work for the port and not the cruiselines, and they are NOT salaried. Of course, we tipped him (he turned out to be the one who helped us); we've always tipped the baggage handlers.

I believe that the "porters"--the ones referred to in the signs--are those who help take your luggage from inside the port during disembarkation. You know, the ones who have those dollies just large enough for one family's luggage. The handlers outside when you first arrive, though, are longshoremen who should be tipped.

Similarly, the baggage handlers who check you in outside an airport, where you check your bags before you ever go inside, are not salaried. They work solely for tips.

This is correct at least in Bayonne NJ at Cape Liberty. The porters DO NOT work for the cruiseline and they do get tipped and in my opinion deserve every penny of it. Each porter has a large pile of bags and when that cart thing does comes along they have to load all that luggage into the cart and I know my bags are large and heavy and it appears most others are the same. These guys work in all kinds of weather ( it can be freezing and very windy in the NYC area ) and they answer your questions and help you get to where you want to be, etc. I believe the sign that was posted in the other port did mean the handlers INSIDE the terminal. If you did not tip in Bayonne, I don't even think you could get anyone to take your bags for you when you arrive! Yes, there is a possibility they may get " lost " also. :D I tip the porters very well! ;) 2.00-3.00 PER bag seems average in Bayonne but it doesn't hurt to give a little more. I am very happy to turn over my bags to a good porter and not worry about them so the tip is well worth it to me!

always tip the porters.. as Parrothead says.. the waters are deep in that area.. on the other hand.. in Boston, my cruise was almost ruined by one of those "temporary" cops they put in place to move traffic.. give em a badge and they think they're General Patton....:mad: in the span of five minutes, trying to unload the luggage, at embarkation, out of the van, this wannabe cop harrassed us, the van driver and anyone else within 4 feet of him, yelling move it! move it! move it!.. I approached him and told him to tone down and he literally pushed me over to the curb and threatened to bag the driver, prevent us from sailing and ruining our vacation...at that point a "real" Boston policeman who i knew strolled by and i told him the story...he was real keen on putting this guy in his place.. i learned later the temp was removed and put on the gate where the trucks bring the supplies for the ship for the upcoming cruise.. i sure hope i see him again next year......:D

Hey you Parrothead Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas down there!

Weary

I'm going on my first cruise in January and am leaving from Port Everglades. What is the "rule of thumb" in regards to tipping so that we don't have a bad experience. Between the two of us, we will have 3 to 4 suitcases. Thanks in advance.

I'm going on my first cruise in January and am leaving from Port Everglades. What is the "rule of thumb" in regards to tipping so that we don't have a bad experience. Between the two of us, we will have 3 to 4 suitcases. Thanks in advance.

A tip is just that, a tip. You're not obligated to give them anything. Give what you can spare. In the past I have given a dollar a bag and nobody has ever said anything to me about it. The proper amount to tip a porter is really not anything to lose any sleep over. Pack lighter and save some money.

We tip $1 per bag. Never had a negative comment from tippee.

I cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale last month and my experience was that the porter was unfriendly and crabby even before he knew we would or would not tip. We had 3 bags to check among 2 people. Not wanting to tempt fate, I gave him $5 and he fell over himself for the next 30 seconds trying to be nice. Maybe he just got stiffed or maybe we looked cheap...or maybe he was just a malcontent...I don't know... but it was so odd even my mother noticed and she rarely catches on to anything. Some porters seemed nicer than others but a lot of them seemed to have an attitude.:confused:

I have no idea what porters make at cruise ports, but skycaps at major airports earn a minimum of $75,000/year, some exceeding more than $100,000. That's far in excess of salaries of pilots working for regional airlines. Go figure!

I have no idea what porters make at cruise ports, but skycaps at major airports earn a minimum of $75,000/year, some exceeding more than $100,000. That's far in excess of salaries of pilots working for regional airlines. Go figure!

You've GOT to be kidding! Really? Perhaps I'm in the wrong line of business! Man!!! :eek:

Archived