Super Shuttle - LAX

platterb

Alot of people have recommended using the Super Shuttle from LAX to the San Pedro pier. Just a couple of quick questions:

Is it better to make a reservation? I called and was told to just go out to the transportation area and there is a representative there. Reservations were not needed.

Since the shuttle carries seven people, is there a long wait for the shuttle to fill up?

Thanks

Is it better to make a reservation? I called and was told to just go out to the transportation area and there is a representative there. Reservations were not needed.

How many are in your party? Since we are usually a party of six or more, we make reservations, and get a private van. No waiting. If you are a party of two, I don't think you need to make reservations. Just walk out the door at baggage claim, and find Super Shuttle. As to how long the wait is, it just depends on how many are going your way at that moment.

In January 2005, my husband and I had a reservation with Super Shuttle but it was useless. It was "first come, first served" and we waited for about half an hour before giving up and taking a taxi to San Pedro. It wound up costing us about $10 more than the shuttle. I would recommend a taxi.

Super Shuttel is, well, Super Shuttel. I've had reservations, haven't had reservations, gotten wisked away quickly, or driven around the airport for a half hour waiting to fill the van. If you are going to the pier and everyone is bringing a lot of luggage, you'll find it an uncomfortable ride.

Check the cost of a cab, also a private limo. If there are four of you using a limo is the cheapest way, you get a nice bottle of soda or water (great after a long flight), there is plenty of room for the luggage and someone happy to help you get it in and out. Also, most limo drivers like to talk and will give you nice answers to your questions if you haven't been to LA before. You can also book your return trip with them.

I have been on Super Shuttels where the driver knew NO ENGLISH and in San Francisco we drove past SFO because he thought we all wanted to go the long way round to Oakland. It took a bit on convincing to turn him around. The Bridge was closed that day and because one rider was going to Oakland, he thought all of us were.

Start your cruise off right, taxi or limo!!!:cool:

I've taken both SuperShuttle and PrimeTime and they're pretty comparable. They both leave and depart from the same places at the airport and at the pier.

You can just go out the door to the 2nd island to pick up either shuttle. They will board you and leave immediately. If the shuttle is full, it'll go directly to the hotel(s) or pier. If the shuttle isn't full, it'll go to the next terminal, and the next, and the next, and the next. Last March, my SuperShuttle van went around LAX 2x before it was full and left the airport.

I've always made reservations and when going from the pier to the airport, both services give priority to those with reservations. So, I would recommend making a reservation, at least from the pier to the airport. It also helps them calculate the number of vans they'll need.

Took Super Shuttle last month to Harbor City. Only waited about 20 minutes for the van to get more people. Went around the airport once.

There were just 4 of us, and it was great. We were the second people dropped off.

Much cheaper than a taxi.

Would recommend it.

We used Xpress Shuttle, phoned and made pre-paid reservation, told us once we had our luggage and all members assembled, to phone them, as they had a 'holding' area 5 minutes away, and they would be there within 5 to 10 minutes, and they were.

There were 4 of us, and we had our own van.

http://www.xpressshuttle.com/los_angeles.htm

We disembarked Diamond Princess at San Pedro on Dec 16, and had a reservation with Prime Time Shuttles. The service was stellar. A gentleman in a Prime Time-logo jacket met us at the second "island," had our name and reservation on his clipboard, radioed for a van, and one arrived within a minute or so. We waited a few minutes while the van was filled with other passengers, and away we went to LAX. We were there within 25 minutes. Very efficient, I would recommend. Cost for 2 was $32.

We booked the Princess transfer to and from LAX to the ship. Always do the same in Ft. Lauderdale, too. Said goodbye to suitcases at LAX and saw them in our cabin. I can't believe there is that big a difference in price. Yes, we had a bit of a wait at LAX since our flight arrived just after the bus left, but since we couldn't board thr ship until noon, no big deal. Why not go the easiest way?

It all depends on timing. We had an early flight back to the east coast (departed LAX at 12:40pm), so we did walk-off disembarkation and opted for PrimeTime Shuttle, on the assumption it could take too long if we waited for the Princess transfer to fill up.

PrimeTime was also $32, vs. Princess at $50 or so.

If I had it to do all over again, we'd do it exactly the same way -- walk-off disembarkation (expedited our time in the customs/immigration line) and PrimeTime to LAX (quick, friendly, and reasonably priced).

For a larger group (we were just 2), I agree it's better to go with a sedan or limo service.

Archived