Denver Blizzard

HALOnlyCruiser

Doesn't this make you wish you were on a Caribbean cruise? We are warm and have food and electricity, but there are 5000 people at DIA who have little hope of getting out anytime soon because of jammed holiday flights.

White Christmas....ya think!?!?!?

http://community.webshots.com/album/556538220BlrDXF

Merry Christmas!

Cindy

I was thinking this morning about people stuck in Denver who have cruises to meet and are not likely to make it out in time as well as the inbound skiers. It's going to take Denver a week to recover from an airline scheduling standpoint, given the closure of the airport and already overbooked flights.

It's going to be a holiday to forget for many and I am so sorry for them.

Thanks for the photos. WOW, it sure looks cold. I feel so sorry fro those stuck at the airport. (I've been thinking of them as I await my daughter's arrival soon--driving, not flying.)

I also heard today that some might not get out and may spend Christmas there...how horrible. What an awful time for a storm of this magnitude. So many families going through this... Hopefully many will make it home for Christmas.

Have a granddaughter who should be leaving for Co Springs tomorrow. She and DH are flying from OKC, I think the Springs are ok, or I certainly hope so. Now, she may hope she can't get out so she can go to Texas for Christmas. Shame on me...............................

Friday should be fine at the Co. Sp. airport - especially for incoming

flights ! There is still a back log of folks trying to get out. But

the airport was open today (Thurs.) And it is warming up for Christmas !

Cindy, thanks for the pictures and reminding me why I left snow country in Iowa;) Although Tuesday morning we woke up to snow here in Las Vegas, although it was long gone by noon.

I feel so very sorry for those stuck at DIA, I just saw on the news that they are still stuck. Plus this just make a huge domino effect. When the planes can start up those that are booked on those flights will not want to be bumped, the planes are already packed so how do you get the people who were to leave first out of there :confused:

Hey - We're here and living it, lol!!!

Don't count on anyone getting out until tomorrow afternoon! Those with reservations only will be going - the 3,200 stranded pax won't go until Sunday or Monday ... they moved about 800 to downtown hotels this morning...

Here are some pictures!!!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/556538250qyVEsa

Laura, those are great pictures:) I got bets the Lexus was in the garage;)

Here is what our snow looked like, looks pretty light compared to yours:D

2089954140028362306ebjgJw_th.jpg

Lisa - I saw your picture - and at the time you sent yours out, we had about the same amount of snow - it came SO fast and suddenly!!! I wasn't even expecting it, truthfully.

The Porsche is now in one of the garage spaces, lol!!! The other cars are out & covered with snow because we don't like putting them in while covered with snow and road sand/chemicals; also we need something with 4-wheel drive to help us get down the street. :) I still have shopping to do, lol!!!

I love snow, but here we drive to it when we want the white stuff. THanks to both of you for the pix. It looks very strange in Vegas ! Laura, it looks so beautiful. I miss snow, but not THAT much at once.

My daughter just arrived home for Christmas. I hope that many in the Denver airport get to the homes/families for the holidays.

Great shots, Laura. Our daughter and her family are looking into moving to the Denver area. This hasn't dissuaded them yet! ;)

Jim - It's still a great place to be - the sun came out for a bit this afternoon and the snow will be melting by noon tomorrow. We seem to have the best of all worlds. If your daughter has any questions about the Denver metro area - have her email me - we'd be happy to help answer them. :)

I love snow, but here we drive to it when we want the white stuff. THanks to both of you for the pix. It looks very strange in Vegas ! Laura, it looks so beautiful. I miss snow, but not THAT much at once.

My daughter just arrived home for Christmas. I hope that many in the Denver airport get to the homes/families for the holidays.

cruznon -

The people stranded at the airport should be heading out this weekend, hopefully. I heard Frontier and United are beefing up and bringing in extra planes to help out so that no one has to be stranded here for the holidays. We'll keep everyone posted - snow like this usually melts quickly, this is the equivilent to a spring storm here, so we're keeping our fingers crossed it melts off fast and everyone gets out and to their final destination before Monday. :)

Laura, BTW, I love those pictures of Caesar:) I bet he did not like all that snow, I bet he was really telling you what he thought of all that snow.:D I bet you are glad you are not needing to fly out to go on a Christmas Cruise this year.

Lisa -

He thought he wanted to be out there!! All day, I listened to him meowing at the door - finally when the sun came out a bit - we let him out, he went halfway down the walkway and ran back! He couldn't wait for me to open the door! Kyle's Honda Accord is still completely covered in snow - he won't be going anywhere tomorrrow, lol!!!

We would have missed our flight for the Maasdam Christmas cruise as we had planned to leave for FLL today... my TA & I were just talking about that this afternoon when we made our final payment for Oosterdam in March 2007 - we ALWAYS purchase travel insurance though -especially coming from Denver in the winter, lol!!!

Thanks all for the photos. My son is a commuter airline pilot in Denver. He got in Tuesday afternoon at DIA and wasn't scheduled to fly again until Friday. Thank goodness! I asked him if he received his Christmas package and he said the mail isn't being delivered where he is. Hope the weather settles down for all of you.

Diane

I asked him if he received his Christmas package and he said the mail isn't being delivered where he is. Hope the weather settles down for all of you.

Diane

Diane - We have not had mail for two days, we also did not have our trash picked up yesterday (or today) either. Right now, we're just in "wait & see" mode, but things should be much better tomorrow. We did get milk delivered, but no newspaper for the past two days.

We are Northwest of the Denver metro area - we had about 3 & 1/2 feet of snow total.

We are still waiting delivery of our son's Xmas present, it was scheduled for 12/19, but has not shown up yet. He will understand if it's not here in time, I'm sure - but we're hoping it will be. I am glad I got my packages to Fed Ex on Monday and they made it to California yesterday. :)

Let me know if there is anything I can answer for you!!!

Ekerr, you do realize we are sailing on the Oosterdam together! You just answered all of my questions. I mailed Rob's package Saturday and sent it 2 day priority and had it insured. I sent another package at the same time to Denver and that person received it Monday. My guess is the package is in the office of his apartment complex. He said he was tired after 4 days of up and down when he got in Tuesday and hadn't checked his mailbox. There may be a notice in there that he has a package at the office.

Looking forward to some nice warm weather in March!

Diane

One our local friends was able to fly into C Springs this afternoon after his flight was cancelled yesterday!

We lived in Denver for 2 years--- the lesson learned was: avoid Stapleton (now DIA) during the winter months if at all possible! Otherwise, we loved living there, especially the skiing & the mountains. . . . . . . oh, and the Broncos, too, especially the Broncos (the Elway era)!

One our local friends was able to fly into C Springs this afternoon after his flight was cancelled yesterday!

We lived in Denver for 2 years--- the lesson learned was: avoid Stapleton (now DIA) during the winter months if at all possible! Otherwise, we loved living there, especially the skiing & the mountains. . . . . . . oh, and the Broncos, too, especially the Broncos (the Elway era)!

Even living in Dallas during the 90s we loved the Broncos, as you put it, Elway era. Of course our hearts are still with the Redskins, first and Dallas last. I am glad to hear your friends made it to the Srpings, our granddaugher is heading that way, form OKC this afternnon. NMNita

Archived