Honolulu/Waikiki Hotel Recommendations

hadleys9538

My father just received a Hawaiian cruise from my mother for Christmas. They leave in about a month (on the 2/3/07 Pride of America cruise). They are going in for one precruise night & would like a nice Waikiki hotel for their stay. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My father just received a Hawaiian cruise from my mother for Christmas. They leave in about a month (on the 2/3/07 Pride of America cruise). They are going in for one precruise night & would like a nice Waikiki hotel for their stay. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of hotels in Waikiki - most are passable for one night. What would be most helpful is how much do you want to spend?

Halekulani is beautiful - expensive

Ilima is nice - low end

Sheratons/Hilton/Marriott

Knowing what someone is willing to spend helps in providing information

Since their plane doesn't get in until 2:30, they won't be spending a great deal of time there. I know he'd like to keep it under $300. I've found several properties (definitely with the exception of the Halekulani) to be doable in the 200-225 range plus tax. The problem with a lot of the properties on Waikiki at present, however, is that they are under renovation. Thanks!

Hotels we have stayed at in Waikiki and would stay again

Hilton Hawaiian Village

Waikiki Beach Marriott

Hawaii Prince Hotel

Sheraton Moana Surfrider

Outrigger Waikiki

The Royal Hawaiian

Sheraton Waikiki

Hale Koa Hotel (Military Hotel)

Ilima (more budget but good for the price)

If you can get the price for $200 -$300 and any of the above fit the price range your parents should be happy at any of the hotels listed.

We are not picky people thus in the last few years we have not stayed at a hotel we would not stay in again wherever we have traveled.

We bid on priceline, and for $140 a night we got the 4* Hawaii Prince hotel (normally this is a much more expensive hotel). If you are not super picky on the hotel, why not try priceline. You can pick the type of hotel you want (resort, 4*, 3*, etc.), the general location, and your price and see if you get something. It tooks us a few days to get the $140 rate, but we are happy with the hotel we got. (BTW, from what I have read, most people get the Hawaii Prince hotel if you select the Waikiki waterfront location choice.)

Michelle

We just got back from cruise on POH and we stayed at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. It's not on Waikiki, but is North of it next to Kapiolani Park. We booked a Diamond Head view room on the internet for $154 a night, but were upgraded to a beach front room. We thought the hotel was nice and had a good restaurant. It is a little bit off of beaten path, but we found that to be a plus.

We just got back from cruise on POH and we stayed at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. It's not on Waikiki, but is North of it next to Kapiolani Park. We booked a Diamond Head view room on the internet for $154 a night, but were upgraded to a beach front room. We thought the hotel was nice and had a good restaurant. It is a little bit off of beaten path, but we found that to be a plus.

Yes and the Hau Tree Lani restaruant is one of our favorites to take guests to.

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. After looking at all of the options, Dad got a great deal on the Hawaii Prince Waikiki Hotel, which is actually rated as a 5* hotel on Tripadvisor. He booked throught the hotel site & got an oceanview room for $185 (aarp rate). A huge portion of Waikiki is under renovation right now, & this hotel is away from that, so that helped him make his decision. Thanks again! Cheryl

hawaiicruisers,I will be staying at Marriott in Oahu pre-cruise and then staying at Hyatt or Hilton post-cruise for a few days. Why do I rarely see people staying at the Hyatt in Oahu. Is it location? Do u know if the Hilton is going thru a major renovation and how long the renovation will take. Many thanks for any input. Lois

On a land tour last March we stayed at the Outrigger Reef which is on the west end of Waikiki Beach. Small room, small beach, good view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. Mid-range hotel

We stayed three night at the Hyatt Regency which is across the street from the beach. Enjoyed our stay. Excellent restaurant (expensive).

For nostalgia, you might consider the Sheraton Moana or the Royal Hawaiian which are two of the original hotels at Waikiki. Both are on the beach.

hawaiicruisers,I will be staying at Marriott in Oahu pre-cruise and then staying at Hyatt or Hilton post-cruise for a few days. Why do I rarely see people staying at the Hyatt in Oahu. Is it location? Do u know if the Hilton is going thru a major renovation and how long the renovation will take. Many thanks for any input. Lois

The Hyatt is across the street from the beach - nice hotel of course but for the money you can stay "on the beach". Hilton is not going through major renovations as far as I am aware - another nice hotel but for me the issue with the Hilton (and Prince) is that they are located at the far end of Waikiki and away from the Waikiki scene. We have stayed at the Hilton and found it to be very nice. The Hilton is about a block away from where the major renovations are taking place so you should not have a problem with this unless you walk to that portion of Waikiki - Most of the renovations involve Outrigger properties. The Marriott you will find to be well located across the street from the beach. For a nice buffett dinner go to the Pacific Beach Hotel (very close to Marriott) here they have a 280,000 gallon indoor Oceanarium. Watch the divers feed the sharks, rays, etc.

We have stayed at many hotels in Waikiki from inexpensive to upscale, we usually stay in Waikiki once or twice a year as a reminder to ourselves why we only go there once or twice a year. Each time we go to Waikiki we play tourists and enjoy what is there - then go home thankful that we won't return for several months. Why because Waikiki is not the beauty of Oahu but rather the country, the island away from the high rise hotels and crowded beach, the North Shore, other beautiful spots on Oahu. We have know people who came to Waikiki for two weeks never left and went home and complained about Waikiki.

More information than you asked for I suspect

Hawaiicruisers, was hoping to get the detailed info that you so kindly gave me. Sounds like the Hyatt is the one!!!Thanks for the tip on the Pacific Beach Hotel for dinner. Oceanarium sounds like fun, watching the divers feed the fish. Can't thank you enough. Happy New Year. Lois

I would be very careful booking right in the middle of Waikiki at present (and check with each hotel before doing so), because a good portion of the entire area is under renovation. That is why we made the decision we did. I've been to Hawaii a couple of times, as has my dad, and we had always stayed at the Outrigger Reef. However, there would be nothing worse (imho) than wading through a bunch of construction. I guess the construction itself currently is a huge portion of the Waikiki area. I know that the Reef and the Hilton Hawaiian Village are both affected. There were several other hotels I looked into in the heart of Waikiki whose web sites also admitted they had issues. Unless that doesn't bother you, I would definitely check before booking. Since he's stayed in the heart of Waikiki before, he's happy with the 5* Prince, and he wont have to look at any ugly construction vehicles during his short stay.

Is most of the construction close to the beach? How about inland, 2-4 blocks in? I'm looking for a hotel for 3 nights late April precruise and don't want to be on the beach. I'd prefer to be in the center of shopping and restaurants so as to walk to places. I've looked at the web site for the ResortQuest properties. They have some very inexpensive places with rooms under $100 which is what I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with one of their hotels?

All of Waikiki is not a major construction zone. Most of the hotels are not under construction. There is an area that has major construction underway and involves several hotels but these hotels are primarily Outrigger properties. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is about a block from this major construction. Hotels such as the Sheraton chain, Marriott, Hyatt, Halekulani, Prince many others not located on the beach are not in the construction zone.

Some individual hotels may have some remodeling going on that I am unaware of but if you have a map of Waikiki (google it) the West end of Waikiki (towards the airport) is where the worst of the construction is going on.

Little if any of the construction is near the beach. Waikiki beach is open for the public.

The main area of construction is occuring around Kalakaua Ave, Saratoga Rd, Kalia Rd & Lewers.

It is a good idea to ask if construction of a particular hotel is going on.

Hawaiicruisers, thanks for the clarification of the construction sites. Another question, if you don't mind, thinking about doing the "Mighty Mo Explorer tour where you have a tour of the lower level of the ship. Have you any info on it. CC board says little about it, but seems not tooooo many people do this "extra" tour.Is it more for history buffs? appreciate any info you have on it. Thanks. Lois

Hawaiicruisers, thanks for the clarification of the construction sites. Another question, if you don't mind, thinking about doing the "Mighty Mo Explorer tour where you have a tour of the lower level of the ship. Have you any info on it. CC board says little about it, but seems not tooooo many people do this "extra" tour.Is it more for history buffs? appreciate any info you have on it. Thanks. Lois

An interesting ship the "Mighty Mo".... I have been on the Might Mo on three different ocasions twice while I was on active duty in the Navy and when it was a commissioned vessel in service and then when it became what it is today an attraction. Every time I have went on board the Mighty Mo I had chicken skin thinking about those who served and mission the ship accomplished. I for one would want to see as much of the ship as possible. If you are on a tight schedule skip the extra tour.

A friend of my (Retired Navy Cdr.) is one of the tour guides on the Might Mo his suggestion is to tour as much of the ship as possible if that sort of thing interests you.

Three things in Hawaii always bring on chicken skin - Arizona, Might Mo, and the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) - Three things that I hope all tourists visit while they are hear. The Arizona was so emotional for me that I lived in Hawaii for more than 25 years before I could get myself to actually go on the tour.

All of Waikiki is not a major construction zone. Most of the hotels are not under construction. There is an area that has major construction underway and involves several hotels but these hotels are primarily Outrigger properties. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is about a block from this major construction.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village website states that they have construction going on, and they did verify that when I called. I would have been able to get a good deal there (under $300), but then didn't take it when I found out they were renovating.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village website states that they have construction going on, and they did verify that when I called. I would have been able to get a good deal there (under $300), but then didn't take it when I found out they were renovating.

Construction sheduled to be completed at the Village by June/07.

I'm thinking of staying at ResortQuest Coconut Plaza, ResortQuest Waikiki Joy, or Ilima Hotel. Are these away from the construction zone? Anyone have any experience with any of these places? All have internet deals for $100-$125 a night which is what I'm wanting to spend to have a place to sleep. I'm not going to Waikiki to sit in my room!

In October, DH and I will be staying 1 night post cruise in Honolulu with a noontime flight out the next day. We really don't care about Waikiki (can you believe it?) but do want a clean, safe quiet hotel. I have been on these boards, trip advisor, and multiple other sights. It's so confusing!

I am intriqued by Aqua Palm hotel near the Ala Moana Marketplace. The price is certainly right (under $175) and most of the reviews are positive. Do any of you out there have any experience with this hotel? We are looking for a quiet place to lay our heads after an afternoon of sightseeing. Hopefully, good eating within walkable (1/2 mile) distance.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Hey Cruisinaunt - I just checked the Aqua Palms out on Tripadvisor & the reviews were awesome!! Sounds like you have yourselves a winner!!:D I believe it was rated #7 out of all the Honolulu hotels as well, and people were saying that it was just recently renovated.

Archived