Upgrade Told in Advance?

lauderdalebob

Am taking the QM2 from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale in March on the last leg of the round-the-world voyage and when I spoke to the Cunard agent the other day and made my final payment I recalled her saying that she also requested an upgrade if possible.

After reading a recent review on this site under Reviews I see that one traveller got to the dock and was told they were upgraded, to which they responded they didn't want it, but were told they had no choice - their original cabin (which they particularly booked) was given away.

My question is, is this a common practice or are you usually told in advance of an upgrade (in case you happen NOT to want it). I am currently booked in a B3 category midships in-hull balcony (which I'm sure will be fine for the Atlantic crossing at that time of year).

Is it considered an upgrade to be put into a higher category balcony cabin but one that is obstructed? That certainly would not be what I want and would be very upset if it was changed to that without asking first.

Should I call back to my Cunard agent and tell her now we do not want to be considered for an upgrade and tell her my concern. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The obstructed view cabins on the QM2 are B5 and B6 - they would not put you from a B3 to a B5 or B6 you can only go from a B3 to B2, B1 or higher up into the A categories- If you like the cabin you are assigned you can put a note in your booking not to upgrade- We had a Princess Grill cabin and two days before sailing last week received an email upgrade notice to a Queens Grill- No complaints here that's for sure!!!! Good luck

The obstructed view cabins on the QM2 are B5 and B6 - they would not put you from a B3 to a B5 or B6 you can only go from a B3 to B2, B1 or higher up into the A categories- If you like the cabin you are assigned you can put a note in your booking not to upgrade- We had a Princess Grill cabin and two days before sailing last week received an email upgrade notice to a Queens Grill- No complaints here that's for sure!!!! Good luck

I was upgraded from Q3 to Q2 within 24 hours of booking.

But I have seen people upgraded at check in.

If you chose your cabin for a reason, you can put not to be upgraded. What you cannot do is anything other than upgrade/no upgrade. Which is a pity if you'd accept an upgrade to Q1, but not to QS!

Lauderdalebob,

If you request an upgrade (if possible) you have to take it whether you like the cabin or not. This is Cunard's policy. Your TA should have made this clear at the time of booking (always has been to me, either by TA or Cunard). There may be a possibility of retracting the request but there will be a time limit within which the change to the booking can be made.

If you chose your cabin for a reason, you can put not to be upgraded. What you cannot do is anything other than upgrade/no upgrade.

Good advice - especially in Mauretania where some 'better' cabins may be worse - poorer location, or size. In the Grills though, almost all the 'upgrades' will be to 'better' cabins.

Peter, Guernsey

Archived