Questions about excursions on East. Carib. Mariner

monoptn

We are cruising on the Mariner's Eastern route the first week in April and would love some advice about excursions. Mom (38) Dad (39) and 3 boys ages 13,9 and 2 (the two year old might go on the excursions or might stay on the boat with grandparents). In St. Thomas, I was looking at Magen's Bay and Coral World. Has anyone done this? In St. Maarten, I really want to do the Dolphin Swim. Before we spend $169 each, I wanted some input as to whether it was worth it or not. I noticed it's a 6 1/2 hour time frame, but 30 minutes with the dolphins. What do you do the rest of the time? THanks so much everyone!!

Lori in TN

Magen's Bay looks like fun, I think my boys would like Coral World. I'm really hoping now to get some replies about the Dolphin Swim from someone who has done it. I just hate to spend that $$ if it's not worth it, but would love to swim with those beautiful dolphins. We did the dolphin encounter in Jamaica and it was the highlight of my trip.

Lori in TN

Haven't done the dolphin swim..sorry...but did take the Catmaran over to St. John. Had the best time. If we did it again, I'd just take the ferry over by ourselves and go to Trunk Bay. (better than Megans Bay IMO)

St John is sooooo beautiful! But yes, we'd like to do the dolphin swim on our next cruise in Cozumel. Can you book it on your own to save money? Many places do that. IF you go to St Maarten thread, I'm sure many people can answer your questions there.

Have fun!!

It's a lot of money if you have done it already in jamaica. If you are going to tour St Thomas rent a car. The taxis are soooo expensive that to go to Coral world on your own will cost tons to just get there. They charge pp not per destination as they do in Mexico.Years ago we did Coki Beach( YUK) that is a different story.... and it cost for 5 of us to get there: 35$. I heard it has gone up from $7 pp to more now.

But you should post this question on the port of call board...

We did the Coral World/Megan's Bay excursion with our 2 year old a couple of years ago. Coral World was okay but we thought Megan's Bay was highly overrated. Lots of people crowded in one location. We didn't know enough to explore around and see if there was more to it. Your children will probably enjoy Coral World. They can pet sea cucumbers and pick up starfish.

We did a dolphin encounter in the Bahamas that sounds just like the one in St Martin on the same cruise and LOVED it. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. You don't swim with them but you do get to hug one and feel their skin and they swim up to you while you're on a platform in the water.

Hope that helps you decide. Have a great cruise. We're right behind you on the Mariner on May 27th. So make sure let us know how it goes :)

In St. Thomas, you could do a tour with Godfrey and he would take you to a few places on the island, and then up at Coki Beach which is right next to Coral World. The price I think is $25 per person and that also includes a trip to downtown Charlotte Amalie for shopping, and then a return to the ship. I wouldn't recommend the tour for a 2 year old though.

Megan's Bay is very nice from a distance, but it really isn't as nice up close. We have been there many times, and each time it seems to have gone downhill a bit. Coki seems to be a decent beach but it is also a bit crowded as is Megan's Bay.

As someone suggested, I would go to the ports board and read what people have to say. I know you will enjoy Mariner and St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Katie

I have not been to either port recently, but have been at least 3 times to each.

From what I have read on the boards, both ports have become very congested and you can spend a lot of time just getting to and from where every you are going, so with that in mind, if you book a tour other than what the ship offers you, keep in mind, that it will take you a while to get back.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have so many large ships docking in the same port at the same time. You would be wise to do your homework.

I have heard that the traffic to Saint Johns can get pretty backed-up. That is why some cruise line do not offer that tour.

I will be going on the Mariner on 4 March and if you would like I will make a report on this when I get back.

We sailed the Mariner in October. We arranged our own excursion in ST. Thomas - a sailboat charter with Captain Pat of the Independence. It was the BEST excursion we ever had. We took the taxi to the American Yacht Harbour next to Red Hook, I think it was, and Capt. Pat met us there. She took the four of us (Mom, Dad, DS age 15, and DS age 12) sailing to St. John. The Independence is a beautiful sailboat. We snorkeled in areas only accessible by boat - just gorgeous. We swam into one of the resort beaches, and saw sea turtles. Capt. Pat and her first mate, Al, were wonderful. It was the best day ever - relaxing, beautiful, fun. We were back onbaord in plenty of time. She has a web site; let me know if you are interested.

In St. Thomas, you could do a tour with Godfrey and he would take you to a few places on the island, and then up at Coki Beach which is right next to Coral World. The price I think is $25 per person and that also includes a trip to downtown Charlotte Amalie for shopping, and then a return to the ship. I wouldn't recommend the tour for a 2 year old though.

Megan's Bay is very nice from a distance, but it really isn't as nice up close. We have been there many times, and each time it seems to have gone downhill a bit. Coki seems to be a decent beach but it is also a bit crowded as is Megan's Bay.

As someone suggested, I would go to the ports board and read what people have to say. I know you will enjoy Mariner and St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Katie

Do you have Godfrey's web site? or email....I did his tour last year and just loved it...now next year we will be going with our daughter and would like her to experience the same tour but have lost all my saved sites and email address...from my computer..my son did my computer in ...

So building all my saved info once again...

We sailed the Mariner in October. We arranged our own excursion in ST. Thomas - a sailboat charter with Captain Pat of the Independence. It was the BEST excursion we ever had. We took the taxi to the American Yacht Harbour next to Red Hook, I think it was, and Capt. Pat met us there. She took the four of us (Mom, Dad, DS age 15, and DS age 12) sailing to St. John. The Independence is a beautiful sailboat. We snorkeled in areas only accessible by boat - just gorgeous. We swam into one of the resort beaches, and saw sea turtles. Capt. Pat and her first mate, Al, were wonderful. It was the best day ever - relaxing, beautiful, fun. We were back onbaord in plenty of time. She has a web site; let me know if you are interested.

Can you pleave give me here website? Thanks for the post!!

Do you have Godfrey's web site? or email....I did his tour last year and just loved it...now next year we will be going with our daughter and would like her to experience the same tour but have lost all my saved sites and email address...from my computer..my son did my computer in ...

So building all my saved info once again...

http://www.godfreytoursvi.com is the website. Have fun and enjoy your tour!

Katie

Archived