Zuiderdam vs Amsterdam & Skagway vs Sitka

GlassGirl

We're looking at our first Alaska cruise for June 2007 and our friends are giving a lot of conflicting advice of "don't miss Skagway" (Zuiderdam) and "don't miss Sitka" (Amsterdam). Based on what I've read on this board, both are great to visit. Despite the Class difference, both ships seem to get rave reviews so that seems to be a wash...

We're locked into this timeframe for vacation so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of you experienced Alaska travelers for your opinions...

Thanks!

My mother and I took the Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam this past July. We had only cruised with HAL once before and I didn't like it. We took a chance with this one (it was also the cheapest we could find that was round trip from Vancouver). Of course this wasn't the first time we had been to Skagway. It was the 4th. Skagway is a great port. We had docked right downtown, only a couple of minutes from the main street. The Whitepass and Yukon rail trip is fabulous. The one time we went to Sitka, it was raining and was not enjoyable. Not a lot of things to see there.

I much prefer Skagway to Sitka, but I would want the Amsterdam over the Zuiderdam.

Tough choice. Is there a difference in which glacier each cruise visits? That could be the tie-breaker. Otherwise choose by sailing day of the week.

Or flip a coin. :rolleyes:

I much prefer Skagway to Sitka, but I would want the Amsterdam over the Zuiderdam.

Tough choice. Is there a difference in which glacier each cruise visits? That could be the tie-breaker. Otherwise choose by sailing day of the week.

Or flip a coin. :rolleyes:

The Zuiderdam leaves from Vancouver and visits both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm so it wins on itinerary.

But I agree with Ruth on the Amsterdam. But then the Zuiderdam will have more affordable balconies.

Put that all together and the Zuiderdam gets the edge.

I haven't been on Amsterdam or Zuiderdam. When I did the Inside Passage, we were on the (old) Noordam. I believe it was even smaller than the Amsterdam. We loved it. It didn't overwhelm you as so many of the larger ships do today. My first trip I really wanted to see Sitka, so had to make the same choice you are faced with. In '07, we will be going to Skagway on the Zuiderdam. You will have a great trip, whichever route you choose. I don't think you can go wrong with HAL.:p

cruisequeen10 - I disagree with you that there wasn't a lot to do in Sitka. The hill where Baranoff's castle was/the first U.S. flag flew was the first thing we saw. Then we found a hop on/hop off shuttle that was $6.00 (I understand it is now $10) It makes about 7 stops. Took us up to the Raptor Center and the driver showed us a pathway to walk back down to the Museum through the Rainforest. We saw Totems, Russian Memorials and finally the Museum with it's wood carvings and lots of history. There is also the Russian Church that was very interesting. We filled our day just walking around the town. We didn't even do any paid excursion and still had a wonderful day.

Skagway but only if you take the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad excursion. It is truly breathtaking and the history behind the Klondike Gold Rush, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, etc. If you don't sign up for that excursion then you're basically looking at no real difference between Sitka (a port) and Skagway (a port). Tracy Arm is also jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Sitka is our favorite port (it can - and does - rain anywhere in Alaska). The raptor center is outstanding - much better than Ketchikan's (IMHO). Our favorite walk is first to the Bishop's House (if you have a Golden Age pass in your group, you can get in free, and it would be an interesting stop even if you had to pay.) Then we walk down to the end of the road to see the totem poles, and on the way back we might go into the Sheldon Jackson Museum - a marvelous collection of native artifacts. Sitka doesn't seem so crowded with tourists as Skagway does. Nancy

How about a practical answer!! Both ships are great. Both Skagaway & Sitka are great!

Why not choose the trip based on the port of departure. Which offers more convenience and cheaper air fare? Seattle (Amsterdam) or Vancouver (Zuiderdam)?

Frankly, we faced the same decision and that's how we chose!

How about a practical answer!! Both ships are great. Both Skagaway & Sitka are great!

Why not choose the trip based on the port of departure. Which offers more convenience and cheaper air fare? Seattle (Amsterdam) or Vancouver (Zuiderdam)?

Frankly, we faced the same decision and that's how we chose!

Good point.....main difference is the bonus of Tracy Arm in addition to Glacier Bay in Zuiderdam's favor. Also, its Vancouver departure usually means you will cruise closer to land.

I really do like the Amterdam better as far as ships go.....but the scenery is "king" in Alaska.:)

I haven't been to Sitka, but I can't imagine any port being much nicer than Skagway. I think of all the cruising we have done, all over the place, Skagway was close to the top in favorites. The history alone would make me choose the ship that had it as a port. NMnita ps, we didn't even particularly enjoy our Alaskan cruise, but we did love Skagway. I know we are in the minority as far as not loving the Alaskan adventure. I am always happy when someone else says that so I don't feel quite as weird. NMNita

Skagway but only if you take the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad excursion. It is truly breathtaking and the history behind the Klondike Gold Rush, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, etc. If you don't sign up for that excursion then you're basically looking at no real difference between Sitka (a port) and Skagway (a port). Tracy Arm is also jaw-droppingly beautiful.

I have not been to Sitka, so can't compare the two - as a raptor fan, I know I'd love it, though. But I have been to Skagway, and would like to suggest that there is an alternative to the train ride excursion, which can be expensive. That is to rent a car (from Avis - book WELL in advance) and drive to Carcross in British Columbia. If you have a group of 3-4 people, the car will cost much less per person than the train, and the drive is just as scenic as the rail trip - follows much the same route - plus you can stop and stretch your legs, take photos, etc. whenever you like. Check the Skagway board for details about the trip. I agree that Skagway itself is nothing special, but if you do decide to go, by all means take the drive - it's astounding. Either way, this will be a beautiful cruise, so go for it!

Skagway is a must-see if you haven't been to Alaska before. It's a great little town with lots of history - even moreso if you take some excursions & explore a little. It's a tough call between the two ships, though - personally I'd take the Zuiderdam for two reasons: more affordable balconies, and itinerary. We did this cruise in September and enjoyed it so much we're doing it again this coming September.

Archived