New SEABOURN cruiser - questions?

james j feller

My wife and i are thinking about going on a SEABOURN cruise but we are a little worried about fitting in.

We have been on a lot of other cruise lines and i was wondering about SEABOURN ( no offence) being a little stuffy ,everyone dressing to the nines with diamonds and bragging about how much money they got.

We are retired, but are not rich, we saved up for a nice cruise and wanted to try a luxury cruise.

We have been on CRYSTAL and was hoping that SEABOURN was about the same.

Any comments would be appreciated and maybe some do's and don'ts about about going on a cruise with SEABOURN.

Thank ypu

JIM

Of course you find all kinds no matter where you go and what you do. BUT..the SB traveler is friendly...not showy...very down to earth. It is one big family...including the staff and crew! Come aboard and enjoy your luxury cruise. You and your wife will feel special and relaxed.

I just took my first Seabourn cruise and loved it. The best I can say is you become part of a very large family. While the service is great from the crew, passengers help other passengers and you get to know almost everybody on the ship. I have heard other Seabourn sailors say they have meet Mr. and Mrs Money Pants that love to talk of their money, it is simple, avoid them. ;)On dress almost every male on my Caribbean cruise wore a Tux to Formal night. And except for United flew us to St Thomas but our luggage is touring the US :D , Seabourn sailors do follow the dress code.

Come and enjoy your voyage...

One of the wonderful things about Seabourn is that it is not showy. You most probably will not know if the person next to you is extremely wealthy, comfortable or on a once in a lifetime cruise.

As for formality, Seabourn does have its formal nights and jackets are required in the dining room most nights, but country club casual is appropriate the vast majority of the time. If you enjoy Crystal I do not think the dress code will be a problem at all.

Hi,

I have to agree with Boatman (BTW Boatman, sorry about the Jets!) and say that the people are so down to earth. I once dined with a Lord and Lady. They were not listed as such in the passenger list BUT when I googled their names when I got home I found out they were part of the British aristocracy. They were the nicest, most down to earth people.

I have also sailed with a Federal Court Judge from NJ who has a VERY famous sibling and who's last name everyone would know who was so gracious and lovely as was her whole family. I sailed with a noted songwriter who is a neighbor of CLint Eastwood in Carmel and many others who were just so nice.

Do NOT worry at all. People on Seabourn know they have arrived. I have sailed with people on Holland and Princess who were so impressed with themselves you did not want to even be with them. You will really enjoy Seabourn.

Bon voyage

You know it's interesting, I had those same thoughts before I sailed on Seabourn as well. I always smiled when I read reviews of the kinds of people who sail on Seabourn, they usually mention "wealthy solo travelers" as being among the cruisers. Well.....I travel by myself, but I am not in that category! So I was also hesitant, wondering if I would feel "out of place".

I will agree that Seabourn is a dressy line; that is one of the things I love about it. The other passengers I met were well traveled, but not snobby or stuffy at all. And I loved hearing about where they have been; I learned so much! I have now been on two cruises with Seabourn, and one of the highlights was meeting all the different, and very nice, people on the ship. They were delightful to talk to at dinner, during excursions, at trivia or the shows, always friendly. I never saw anyone, even on formal nights, bring out the "crown jewels" for all to see. The sailors on Seabourn are classy, and classy people don't broadcast to others who they are and how much they have; what they do is make you feel comfortable. In all my travels, I have never felt more "at home" than I have at Seabourn. It doesn't matter what you have in the bank, bring your enthusiasm and interest in others, and you'll have a fantastic time.

Jane :)

Jim, you have definitely brought up something that also crossed my mind being a newbie to SB. Cruising for us is a very special treat that we plan and save for. That said, the SB board on CC seems so down to earth in terms of reflecting the kind of people who cruise as often as they are able with this line. I have no doubt that when we board the Pride in December, we will also feel welcomed to a new "family" as others have mentioned.

One other concern that crossed my mind prior to booking is the age demographic on SB. We are 50 and very active. But again, after reading so many posts of people who are also active, it sounds like we'll fit in fine :).

It seems to me that us newbies really can't go wrong with SB!

I have never felt more "at home" than I have at Seabourn. It doesn't matter what you have in the bank, bring your enthusiasm and interest in others, and you'll have a fantastic time.

Right Jane,

I really enjoyed going to afternoon tea. I enjoyed the couple days I could fit it into my schedule on my last cruise. It is very enjoyable sitting and talking to other well traveled ppl.

And on dress some CC Seabourn sails wear Crocs to dinner. :D

Blackbird just brought his Crocs in dark blue this weekend. :p Gottat keep up with the Pauls......

Jim, you have definitely brought up something that also crossed my mind being a newbie to SB. Cruising for us is a very special treat that we plan and save for. That said, the SB board on CC seems so down to earth in terms of reflecting the kind of people who cruise as often as they are able with this line. I have no doubt that when we board the Pride in December, we will also feel welcomed to a new "family" as others have mentioned.

One other concern that crossed my mind prior to booking is the age demographic on SB. We are 50 and very active. But again, after reading so many posts of people who are also active, it sounds like we'll fit in fine :).

Right and to all new to Seabourn, check out the shore excursions for your trip. You will find things for the very active to the not so active. And SantaAna, Ca booked on her own a scuba dive in almost every port.

Thank you for all your answers, you talked me into it, i'm going .

Just one more question, what is the average price for shore excursions?, i know that will be kind of hard to answer but just a ball park fiquire will be good, say a tour of four hours long of a small town.

Thank you

JIM

That really is a tough one to answer. It depends on the country, what you are doing, exclusivity (private events), etc. What you should know is that Seabourn does not see excursions as a huge profit center like the mainstream lines. I am confident you will find the pricing quite reasonable.

Shore excursion quality depends on the tour operator Seabourn uses in a particular area. In India & the Middle East they rely on Abercrombie & Kent, one of the best in the world and the excursions reflect that. In the Caribbean and Panama Canal area they use ShoreEx, a company also utilized by the mass market lines, and the tours reflect that also.

Blackbird is so cute, he always mentions my scuba diving. It's true, before I go on my cruises, I go on the internet and find scuba operators in every port I wish to dive in. You can be as active, or as relaxed, as you want to on Seabourn, and there will be plenty of people to join you, either in excursions, or friendly chat around the ship (except for trivia....that is not so friendly...those bookmarks are much sought after and the competiton can get fierce!). Seabourn has lots of great excursions, although, as I said, I usually see each port from underwater. ;)

I'm 55, and I feel like I fit right in. Lots of people around that age, some older, and some younger, too.

who has on her calendar "45 weeks to go"

Blackbird is so cute, he always mentions my scuba diving. It's true, before I leave on my cruises, I go on the internet and find scuba operators in every port I wish to dive in. You can be as active, or as relaxed, as you want to on Seabourn, and there will be plenty of people to join you, either in excursions, or friendly chat around the ship (except for trivia....that is not so friendly...those bookmarks are much sought after and the competition can get fierce!). Seabourn has lots of great excursions available for each port, although, as I said, I usually see the islands from underwater. ;)

I'm 55, and I feel like I fit right in. Lots of people around that age, some older, and some younger, too.

who has on her calendar "45 weeks to go"

(except for trivia....that is not so friendly...those bookmarks are much sought after and the competition can get fierce!).

LOL BB will get to see his first Trivia contest in March. On my port-a-day cruise there was no Trivia :(

The only thing I would warn newbies about is the Transatlantic run and the cut-throat Trivia players I have heard about. :eek:

BB went to Dick's Sporting Goods in Roanoke Va to get his Crocs and a new dive mask and snorkel and they did not have any masks and snorkels at this time of year :(

>" On my port-a-day cruise there was no Trivia."

On one of our 'port-a-day' cruises in December, there was Trivia at the SkyBar (I think) in the afternoon. The thinking was that there were many who did morning port jaunts and were available in the afternoon. I missed it, however. A lesson learned, really read your Herald. <G>

>" On my port-a-day cruise there was no Trivia."

On one of our 'port-a-day' cruises in December, there was Trivia at the SkyBar (I think) in the afternoon. The thinking was that there were many who did morning port jaunts and were available in the afternoon. I missed it, however. A lesson learned, really read your Herald. <G>

Archived