Formal nights on anytime dining

gomomgo

We are going on our first cruise ever on the Grand out of Galveston. On the advice of our TA, we booked anytime dining but wondering how the formal nights work with that? Are there only certain restaurants we can use when we do anytime dining?

Yes, the menu's are the same, only difference, no Baked Alaska Parade! We really enjoy anytime, people say you will miss the same dining room waiters, and if you have really good ones you might! I enjoy the resturant experience, I don't always want ice tea, or maybe hot tea, at the end of a dinner, maybe I would enjoy coffee! In traditional, good waiters remember your first night order and it appears without being asked for! Not a complaint, but I am just too embrassed to change my order! Enjoy your cruise, I think you will be happy with anytime. Phyllis

Isn't the dress code only enforced in the dining rooms and not shipwide anymore? And I am wondering, in actual practice, what recent cruisers are seeing on Princess lately on formal nights? All tuxes and dark suits or only a few? Specifically for Mex Riv or Alaska? Thanks.

a) Certain restaurants are designated for Anytime dining.

b) The menu is exactly the same in Anytime as Traditional dining although you don't get the Baked Alaska Parade.

c) The dress code, whether 'smart casual' or 'formal', is for the ship for the evening, including the Anytime, Traditional and Specialty restaurants, although many change after dinner.

d) The vast majority except those who either don't care or prefer to ignore the guidelines, are in dark suits or tuxes on formal nights. It doesn't matter whether it's a Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaiian, African, etc., etc. itinerary.

e) If you don't want to get dressed up on Formal night, you have the option of going to the buffet or doing room service.

Isn't the dress code only enforced in the dining rooms and not shipwide anymore?

You are correct. During the formal nights Formal attire is required for the dining rooms if you choose to eat there. It isn't mandatory that you remain in your formal wear the rest of the evening but most do.

Isn't the dress code only enforced in the dining rooms and not shipwide anymore?

You are correct. During the formal nights Formal attire is required for the dining rooms if you choose to eat there. It isn't mandatory that you remain in your formal wear the rest of the evening but most do.

Yes they are as a rule except for one specialty item that will vary with each restaurant.
The 'one specialty item' is only available on the ships that originally had the 4 themed Anytime Dining Rooms--the Sapphire and the Diamond--the others of the Grand class have three dining rooms serving the same menu.

"Required" and "mandatory" are relative terms when it comes to formal wear in the dining room.

We were on the Crown over New Years and on the second formal night we were seated with two other couples. My husband wore a tux and I wore about beaded jacket/silk skirt. One of the men was in a blue blazer/tie and khaki pants and the other man was in an open collar, casual shirt. The women were very casually dressed...more casual than I would wear for "smart casual" night. Obviously no one stopped them from coming into the dining room.

The result was my husband felt totally out of place. His comment was that he would be reluctant to wear a tux on Princess again. So instead of the people violating the code feeling uncomfortable, the ones dressed appropriately felt uncomfortable. If they aren't going to enforce it, why have it? Call it a guideline or a free for all. I've never seen so many casually dressed people on formal night.

The first formal night was NYE and I did see alot of tuxes that night. My favorite outfits were the formal kilts of the Scottish men. Very dapper!

I hate to get all snotty about dressing up, because I can really go one way or the other. We've been on ships that have formal night, those that do not, and those that have it optional. However, if there is going to be a dress code, I would like to see if enforced. Besides, Tommy Bahama silk shirts take up much less space in the suitcase than a tux and dress shoes!

Teri

-------------------

1989 Dolphin Sea Breeze (Honeymoon) - Caribbean; 1992 Chandis Americanis- Caribbean; 1995 Regent Sun - Caribbean; 1996 Fascination - Caribbean; 1997 Sensation - Caribbean; 1998 Destiny - Caribbean; 1998 Rotterdam - Mediterranean; 1999 Rhapsody of the Seas - Caribbean; 1999 Elation - Mexico; 2000 Maasdam - Europe; 2001 R3 - Tahiti; 2002 Empress of the Seas - Bermuda; 2002 NCL Sun - Caribbean; 2003 NCL Star - Hawaii; 2004 NCL Star - Alaska; 2005 Golden Princess - Caribbean; 2006 NCL Jewel - Caribbean; 2006 Crown Princess - Caribbean.

Archived