GHD's - MAJOR DISASTER AND HELP NEEDED

Jarronwood

HI Guys

I have just read on the fashion and beauty board that if us Brits who bring our GHDs (hair straightners) from the UK to plug in on board, they dont work.

A family from the UK posted this saying hers did not work, something to do with the power conversion or something. She was not on an X ship so it might have just been her particular line.

So I thought I would post this here.

Does anyone know whether our UK straightners will work on board, in particular the Summit. I think I read somewhere that there are two types of power points, one is American and the other is European. So if I bring both my adaptors then my hair irons will work.

Failing that, does anyone know where I can purchase a set of ceramic straightners pre cruise. We are staying in Miami for one night at the Sheraton International Mart so maybe I can buy a set in the Mall???

Please please help me here guys, it would be a complete disaster if my irons do not work. It would simply ruin my holiday - help help.

P.S. m not joking about the hair irons, I would rather loose my luggage, husband, handbag then my irons.................

Hi again Josie!

On M-Class ships, one of the outlets by the desk is indeed a 220V outlet, for European-style plugs. So your straighteners should work just fine with your adapter plug. I have no problem with mine, anyway.

Lisa

Hi Josie

UK GHDs will only work in the US socket is you have a dual current switch on the tongs as well as a US adaptor because the US runs on 110 volts which isn't powerful enough. If you use the European adapter socket you will be fine. Just don't alter your tongs to 110 and then plug them in the European socket - there is a pop and some expensive smoke [been there and done that !] Also don't leave them plugged in - even swiched off - as they can start a fire.

Have a wonderful trip

Pennie

If you don't have an adapter, you could certainly find something at a store here. Is your straightener the ceramic type? I bought mine at Target, but they also carry them at Walgreen's & CVS (both drug stores), and possibly even at grocery stores. There is also a store called "Sally Beauty Supply" that is found in many strip malls, and they carry virtually every hair product.

Whew thats a relief.

So I have to make sure I bring the European convertor/adaptor plug to plug into the European socket and hey presto I am away.

Many thanks guys

Yes they are the ceramic kind. Here in the UK the ones that are considered the "best" and which the professionals use are GHDs.

Is the principle the same for hairdryers? I know on our first cruise when we went on Explorer of the Seas with RCCL, they only had the USA socket and even though I had the adaptor plug my hairdryer did not work - at that time I used to "scrunch" my hair using the diffuser so it was a big nuisance using their hairdryer - not enough power.

This trip any old hairdryer will do so long as my best friend is with me. Do you know the best bested invention in the whole of the world ever were the GHDs. My life changed drastically when I bought a pair. (also the next best or maybe on a par is the internet cos without the internet I would not be talking to you).

Without my GHDs my hair would be a total frizz and I would look like the wild woman of Borneo. My hair has a natural wave in it which I hate, it is also red (ginger) and they say no one likes their own hair. As a child I was taunted for my ginger hair. I always wanted to be blond with long straight hair. I am nearly blond bow since I have blond highlights (loads of them) in my hair and with the GHDs its straight.

Um, let me think i always wanted to be like Claudia Schiffer.... lol

Hi Jarronwood

I have no idea if the comment you read on the other board was one that I posted but I know my DB's daughter was in tears because her GHD's would not work (this was not a X ship). If you just use a normal converter plug then I doubt that would work as the current would still be 120v which is what the US/European use not 240v (or whatever) which is what we use in UK. You actually need a current adaptor. If you plug in a hairdryer then that works at half speed as the current is much reduced unless is is a travel one with a current switch on the side. The UK plug (which I think there may be one of may work, but I can't remember for def).

Personally, although I know GHDs are the best, I am not sure I would risk taking just those (just in case) as they do work differently from most straighteners in the way they heat up.

I know you can buy gas powered straighteners from Boots or other such outlets - after our disaster we bought Angela some so she would be ok on her next trip, but I doubt they would be as good as GHDs (let's face it - nothing is) but these are relatively lightweight and if you have the room in your case they would be worth buying as a "just in case". I know it's extra weight, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Hi Ali W

Thanks for that advice. Other straightners will not do the job, I need GHDs - the gas powered ones are not hot enough.

I am hopeful though that since they have two types of socket on the ship we are on then all will be well.

Lisa (I think) from the UK says she uses her GHDs ok on the M Class ships via the European adaptor.

As you know GHDs cost a bomb (mine cost £100 and I had to buy two pairs since my 16 year old was going on holiday and wanted to take them so I had to buy a pair for myself).

I guess if we can board early I will check my irons out and if no go, can jump ship and dash to the nearest store in Miami????

Anyone else had any experience re their irons?

Hi Josie

In view of the problems Angela had previously I have never taken mine, but I do take travel heated rollers to try to calm my locks - any port in a storm as they say. I was about to offer to let you know after our forthcoming cruise but then noticed you were going before us, so if you would let me know I'd really appreciate it.

Ali

PS - Please don't take this the wrong way, but I notice you have included your email address at the bottom of your post. It might be better if you wanted pax to know your address to include it with your User CP rather than in a general post otherwise you will get bombarded with junk mail as the spiders are sure to pick up your address.

P.S. m not joking about the hair irons, I would rather loose my luggage, husband, handbag then my irons.................

l feel the same way about my CHI iron. I think it is similar to the GHD. Without it my hair is frizzy with waves that go every which way. I know the CHI works on RCI (Celebrity cruise is not until 2008!). You can purchase them on the internet for about US$100.

Will someone pls give us the real names of GHD's and CHI's? I have NO idea what you all are talking about!:D

I was just about to ask the same thing. They sound great with everyone raving about them and I kept thinking - what the heck are these and how do I get one? :D

The best thing is to go to your local hairdresser and ask her to straighten your hair but to teach you how to do it. With my hair I have to section it - I probably layer it about 6 times (my hair is shoulder length but very thick, hence the amount of sections needed).

There is a definite knack to straightening your hair and for the first time a good hairdresser should show you.

As I said earlier, this implement has changed my life.

P.S. It takes me about half hour and more to straighten my hair.

Hi Tuggers

GHDs is their name. It is not an abbreviation but their official name. They are a flattening iron - a bit like old fashioned curling tongs but designed to flatten rather than curl and normally have ceramic plates rather than metal ones. I am sure you have something similar in the US though I have no idea what your equivalent would be.

Hi Ali W

Thanks for that advice. Other straightners will not do the job, I need GHDs - the gas powered ones are not hot enough.

I am hopeful though that since they have two types of socket on the ship we are on then all will be well.

Lisa (I think) from the UK says she uses her GHDs ok on the M Class ships via the European adaptor.

As you know GHDs cost a bomb (mine cost £100 and I had to buy two pairs since my 16 year old was going on holiday and wanted to take them so I had to buy a pair for myself).

I guess if we can board early I will check my irons out and if no go, can jump ship and dash to the nearest store in Miami????

Anyone else had any experience re their irons?

I do live in the UK, and my straighteners are the 220 volt kind. I just attach the European adapter so that they will fit into the two prong outlet, and I'm good to go. Mine are just bog standard straighteners - Tresemme brand - not so posh as your GHDs:) , but they haven't overheated or had other problems so far. I used to take curling tongs and they always worked fine too.

If you are in Concierge Class, there is a pretty decent blowdryer in the desk in your cabin, but the one in the bathroom is not really up to much.

Lisa

Lisa

You dont know how much you have saved the day. I was starting to get paranoid since as you know the GHDs are very expensive and was wondering if I would need to buy another said in America and whether they would be as good. So, since Summit has two types of socket, one American and the other European, a normal European adaptor will work I assume?

Is there a reason why they have the two different sockets? Thats not usual is it?

We are not in CC class but have managed to get a FV corner aft deck 8 for the Panama Canal and I know from pictures of that cabin there are tons of sockets above the dressing table.

:) :)

I am so looking forward to meeting you !!!!!

Have had a really bad day today and you got me laughing . Thank you, My two younger daughters use Chi straighteners. I bought them for part of their Christmas presents. YES !!! I was shocked by how expensive they are. But, they work very well. we women are an odd breed arent we. I just booked my perm for right before the cruise because GOD forbid I should go with perfectly straight hair !!!!!!!!!!

See you soon. And we will recognize each other.... by your straight gorgeous flowing hair and my curly locks

Nade

Lisa

You have saved the day, thank you. So I take it I bring the European adaptor and plug into the European socket, then I am fired up?

Do you know why they have the two different sockets on the M ships? I would like to think its because they knew I was coming... no seriously though it just seems strange whereas other lines only have the USA socket.

Nade, you made me laugh too. I would give anything to have permanently straight hair and you for curly hair. Why oh why cant us women be satsified with what we have. As a child I hated the colour of my hair (and still do) and my mum used to say "women would simply die to have your colour" or "people would pay the earth to have your colour". Well if it was longer they could have it for nothing, mind you, I dont think they would want my frizz ball.

Couldn't you just relax and enjoy your vacation, frizz and all?

No not really especially on those evenings where I get to pretend to be Cinderella. I love dressing up especially on those formal evenings (although I might get the hair salon on board to do an up do depending on the cost). I just would not feel comfortable.

We chose this particular line (well I did, and hubby just tags along) mainly for the formality of the evenings. We probably wont dine in the main dining room every night, intend trying the speciality restaurant at least once, but on some nights we will probably grab a burger or room service or eat elsewhere on the ship.

For me personally, if I wear the appropriate dress, i.e. ball gown, cocktail dress then the rest has to match it. Its no good having a beautiful ball gown on with no make up and frizzy hair. I guess thats the way I have been brought up.

No make up and hair a mess are for days beside the pool just chilling or maybe wandering around the local port or participating in an excursion.

:) Thanks for the advice anyway.

I had NO idea this thread was going to be so informative! All this time I thought I was inept, but after doing a bit of reading and internet research I think the problem is really my cheap metal plate iron! All I can say now is, I gotta get me one of these! Thanks everyone for the education!

I always held by what I learned when Uncle Sam sent me to (West) Germany: if it just needs heated to work like curling irons and I guess straightners then you just need a converter to go from 120 to 240 or reverse. Anything with a motor like blow dryers require a transformer or buying a dual voltage/amp appliancee to start with. And an email to Celebrity should get you a picture of the prong sets they have in the staterooms on each ship. :-)

I didn't see smoke but everyone on my side of the barracks were late to work one day when I blew the fuse using my American hair dryer without a transformer. Back then transformers cost a lot and weighed like 25 pounds. Took out every German radio alarm clock for 12 rooms...

Just to jump in here on the ceramic hair straighteners here in the US, I bought a Conair set for about $17 at Target a couple of years ago. The plates are maybe 1" wide, but I know they have different sizes.

So if yours do not work, you should be able to find an inexpensive replacement!

Josie,

I'm sure your GHDs will work perfectly in a 220v socket with an adaptor. I use a hot brush and it always works at normal speed and heat like this. On both RCL ships that we have been on, there has been both types of socket in the cabin but on Princess there was only a 110v US type. With hardly any heat my hair looked a frizzy mess on formal night! Needless to say straight after that cruise I went to Walmart and bought a cheap US brush for emergencies which I always leave in the suitcase. Glad to hear I won't need it on X.

Julie

Archived