Ft. Lauderdale- Wyndham or Sheraton?

babs-d

We have a standing reservation in both these hotels for our pre cruise stay. I need to cancel one but would like to get opinions on which one we should stay in. Wyndham Airport or Sheraton Yankee Trader? The beach at Yankee Trader looks nice and the rooms at Wynham look very nice. Which one would you choose and why? Thanks!

The hotels you mentioned are in different directions! If you have time & want to be on the beach the Sheraton would be better. Also there would be more to choose from as far as restaurants, stores etc. The Wyndham we think used to be the Hilton & is behind the airport, so it just depends on what you want to do while your in Ft. Laud. Check to see if both hotels have shuttles to the port also. Hope this helps.

We've stayed at both and, to me, they are both just as nice. The difference is location.

The Wyndham is right on the airport, like you can see planes landing and taking off, especially from the observation patio off the concierge floor. If your pre-cruise stay is short, like you're getting in late on the day before your cruise, this is a good bet. Not much around it but if you're renting a car its right close to highway access that will get you anywhere fast. If you take this one book a regular room and ask to upgrade to the club floor when you get there. If space is available its a $10 upgrade that gets you a free full breakfast buffet the next day.

The Sheraton is on the beach. If you're getting in early on the day before your cruise and want some beach time, that's the place to be. It's right in the middle of it all on A1A and a great pre-cruise hotel. You'll probably see more pre-cruise people there than at the Wyndham.

You're talking about standing reservations. As I remember it was pretty easy to isolate, bid and win either of those properties on either priceline or hotwire...I think hotwire.

Hi: I live in Fort Lauderdale and I think the better hotel for you on a pre-cruise is the Sheraton. It is right on the beach very close to lots of activities, resturants, night life (los Olas Blvd) and very close to the pier. They have a great beach bar/lunch place right in front on the beach. Across the street is the Bahia Cabana, a funky bar eatery right on the inner coastal. You can pick up the water taxi there and barhop by water. I really think you will have more fun there.

Excuse me for correcting you, but it is the Yankee Clipper that is across from the Bahia Cabana. We usually stay at the little Nina Lee Motel, across the street and around the corner from the Yankee Clipper-also owned by the Sheraton (across the street from that big yellow highrise condo building).We walk up to the Bahia Cabana shortly after arriving at our motel for a beverage and a gaze at the Marina-by the Jungle Queen.

The Yankee Trader is further up the strip on A1A--the beach is across the street. The beach for the Yankee Clipper is right there at the hotel--only about a mile or so north of the Princess Terminal at Port Everglades. I had a wonderful view of both the Zuiderdam and the Caribbean Princess from the Yankee Clipper Beach as they entered the Ocean when we were down there over the July 4 weekend. Lynne

We stayed one night at the Wyndham before our cruise last December and one night at the Yankee Clipper after it. The Wyndham had a nice pool. Our flight got to FLL around 4 p.m., so we knew we did not have a lot of time to do anything there. If we had gotten there earlier, I would have wanted to be closer to either the beach or the water taxis. There's nothing near the Wyndham.

The Yankee Clipper was nice except that it was too cool for us to really enjoy the beach. It is convenient to a water taxi stop, and there are restaurants within walking distance.

I booked our rooms through Priceline. You may want to try that. Look at Bidding for Travel to find out about the hotels in Fort Lauderdale and what bids have been accepted. Our rooms were $50 and $55 a night plus tax. We were there the week before Christmas.

Is the Nina Lee Motel within a decent walking distance to a water taxi stop? We are not good walkers and am not really anxious to try Priceline becaue of their non refund policy. There are so many listings for hotels on the other discount web pages I don't know where to start so a recomendation would be great. Carole

Carole,

The stop is within walking distance for US, as we've walked all the way to the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Strip, but the water taxi stop isn't really too far. It used to be right around the corner at the Bahia Cabana, but is now on the other side of the Marina at the Radisson. The Nina Lee is on a back street, and you walk up an equivalent of 2 blocks to 17th St. The Marina is right there by the Bahia Cabana when you turn the corner to the North (left). You'll go by the Jungle Queen and chartered fishing boats and the Radisson will be right after that.There is a sidewalk, and there are bus stops, so it is a well travelled area.You really won't think it's far at all as you pass the boats-you'll be there!!

The Nina Lee is a little motel out of the 1950's! My husband and his family have been staying there that long! Recent improvements have been made.There is a little pool, some tables and chairs,grassy courtyard.It's two stories, some rooms are efficiencies. The Imperial House next door, is also owned by the Sheraton, same rental manager-and that includes little apartments. These two motels are nestled in with other little places and privately owned condos. I hope I've answered your question. Lynne

When did they change the stop. It was in use in April. We stayed at the Doubletree Galleria and the taxi stops at there back door. There was another Doubletree Hotel on the beach that had a stop across from it, but it was under construction. I wonder if that one is now open???

We were down in Ft. Lauderdale over the 4th of July weekend. When we went to the Bahia Cabana, there was a sign that the restaurant was no longer a water taxi stop. The nearest one is on the Radisson side of the marina past the charter boats. My husband asked our waiter why it stopped--was there an accident or something? No answer. The waiter didn't go into it. Maybe someone else from Ft.L can answer the question. Lynne

The Nina Lee is a nice little place-it is older, but has a neat 1950's feel. I've told the rental agent that we have been recommending it and she may be getting some calls. She appreciated that! WE don't get a commission! With all this recommending, I only hope that there will be a room left for us should Hubby decide that we will be staying down there the night before our cruise. (Sept.18,CaribeP). Good luck in your search!! Lynne

Hi Lyn

Glad I read this thread. We were going to go to Comfort on Sterling. But we arrive around noon. DH wants to be near beach.. I think we would be bored in town. Have to check out Sheraton.

Debbie in Ohio

Archived