3 Oz Toothpaste?

SPARKY12

Can you pack more than one tube (use toothpaste for a example) in your allowed quart bag if each tube is less than 3oz. each? Another example would be more than 1 2oz. bottle of shampoo in each quart bag?

Nowhere on the TSA website have I found this answer.

Thanks,

My dentist gives me the small "travel size" toothpaste along w/ a new toothbrush at every visit. I just looked at the tube; & it says .83 oz. The small "travel size" tubes can be found at places like Walgreen's, Wal-Mart or Target. Just look for a sign that says "travel size". I don't load my toothbrush w/ paste; & one tube covers me for a 10 day cruise.

I buy travel size colgate at Target. Most of the travel size containers you can buy at Target, Walmart, etc are less than 3.1 oz. Just watch out. Last month I was buying some things at Target and I picked up a "travel" size lotion that was 5.2 ounces. I complained to the manager and told them they needed to pull that product from the travel size area. Just make sure to read before you buy.

I buy travel size colgate at Target. Most of the travel size containers you can buy at Target, Walmart, etc are less than 3.1 oz. Just watch out. Last month I was buying some things at Target and I picked up a "travel" size lotion that was 5.2 ounces. I complained to the manager and told them they needed to pull that product from the travel size area. Just make sure to read before you buy.

5.2 ounces may very well be "travel size" -- it just isn't "carry-on size". Compared to the usual 16 oz. bottles of lotions/shampoos, it is definitely made for taking from home. Keep that carryon vs travel distinction in mind.

Has anyone found 3 oz toothpaste sizes that the TSA requires as the highest size? I wish they would make it 4 oz, I can find plenty of that size. Do they think a 1.5 oz size of toothpaste would last me for 10 days?
My toothpaste size of choice for travel is 50 ml, which is just over 1.5 oz - I buy lots of these. One of those usually lasts me over a week. For a typical 9-night trip for a week's cruise, I grab two from the pile, just in case.

5.2 ounces may very well be "travel size" -- it just isn't "carry-on size". Compared to the usual 16 oz. bottles of lotions/shampoos, it is definitely made for taking from home. Keep that carryon vs travel distinction in mind.

I know that, but a LOT of people don't. They see travel size and think they should be able to take it on the airplane. I was reading the labels for a reason, knowing that I was looking for items that I could take on the airplane with me.

Do they think a 1.5 oz size of toothpaste would last me for 10 days?
Yes. A O.85 ounce tube of Crest lasts me for two weeks. I use a small pea sized glob of it each use. Have you been spreading it on like in the TV ads? Even dentists say that you only need a dab.

It's a little off topic, but Colgate is in trouble in the UK for its "recommended by 80% of dentists" claim. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6269521.stm

• 2 months later...
Do they think a 1.5 oz size of toothpaste would last me for 10 days?
FWIW, seeing as I'd posted about this: I've just done a 12-night trip using one 50 ml tube of toothpaste that had already been started, and which my partner borrowed on a few occasions too. It was still far from finished by the time we got home.

50 ml = about 1.7 oz, if my maths are correct.

I believe that some cruiselines provide not only sampoo conditioner lotion they also provide toothpaste and mouthwash everyday. Also, you can only bring six items in those 1 qt ziplock bags. If there is more you have to check them in. Better yet you can check-in your full size toletries in your luggage now.

I believe that some cruiselines provide not only sampoo conditioner lotion they also provide toothpaste and mouthwash everyday. Also, you can only bring six items in those 1 qt ziplock bags. If there is more you have to check them in. Better yet you can check-in your full size toletries in your luggage now.

Nowhere do the rules say that you are only allowed 6 items. If you look at the illustration here, http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm you will see that even they show more than 6 items in the plastic bag.

In the Lax airport I was going through sercruity the sercruity officer was searching my carry on and she pulled out my plastic bag I had about 10 or 13 items in it and she said that it was too many only 6 item in one, one qt bag. I had to go back to the check-in and recheck my carry on or toss them in the trash. There is and illustration of a bag and she had one also handy and also there were all 3oz containers or under.

In the Lax airport I was going through sercruity the sercruity officer was searching my carry on and she pulled out my plastic bag I had about 10 or 13 items in it and she said that it was too many only 6 item in one, one qt bag. I had to go back to the check-in and recheck my carry on or toss them in the trash. There is and illustration of a bag and she had one also handy and also there were all 3oz containers or under.

Your first mistake was that you had your plastic bag IN your carryon. You are supposed to remove it and send it through separately. Nowhere in the TSA web page does it mention a 6 item max and the illustration is from THEIR web site.

The Lax Security told me only six items per 1 qt. bag not a cartoon illustration from TSA. You can pack full size cosmetic bottles in you check in luggage now anyway, but to carry on the airplan they have to be under a certain ounze an quanity.By the way the last time I flew was in Feburary of 2007. If the quantiy of the bottles have changed I am not aware of it. You can only get a few 3oz or under containers only in those 1qt bags anyway.

The Lax Security told me only six items per 1 qt. bag not a cartoon illustration from TSA.

The rule is the TSA's, not LAX security. The cartoon illustration is from the TSA web site. BTW, you can fit a lot of 3 ounce bottle in a quart size zip lock bag.

Archived