Free Internet to be Eliminated for Upper Levels of Capt's Club

Princess Patches

The way is is now - Each night, for a Platinum or Elite passenger, the stateroom account was credited with the amount of internet usage. If you used $15.00 during the day, you got a $15.00 credit. No matter what the usage, it was credited.

Starting April 1, 2007 Platinum and Elite passengers are getting DISCOUNTS to PURCHASE internet packages. Here's the website details:

------------------------

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

-------------------------

I read this as meaning you will have to "purchase" an access package to then receive a discount on the price of the package. It does specifically point to "Internet Cafe Packages" so I assume wireless access is not included.

So there is as much as can be stated as facts. The rest is speculation. I don't know how they will handle the credit if you don't purchase the package, go over the package, or don't use the entire package.

If its like a cell phone company, watch out for the over charges!

I get it, they are giving a 75.00 internet credit on a 7 day cruise for Platinum and above cruisers. That is more than adequate for most people. The credit is higher for the longer cruises.

I have seen internet abuse, but not on Princess. A line where there is no free internet at all. I was figuring out their system, and there was a young person logged o,n he was playing games, and internet music. I was like wow, that kid must have parents with some serious money.

I was having a little trouble so I asked him for help. Young people are so good at this techie stuff. I pretty much just check my e-mail in case my emergency pet contact for the kennel has a problem. We have three dogs and one is 16 years old. That is what the internet is all about for me on a cruise.

I also have a cell phone, never take it. Vacation is to get away.

Largin, I GIVE UP! Almost everyone is reading the subject on this thread but hardly anyone is taking time to read the responses that actually tell how this is going to work.

I have never seen anything quite like this before. :eek: :eek:

Sure you have, Toto. :) It just reinforces what I said yesterday on another thread; the world seems to function anyway.

Arlene

Agree with previous posters! Title of this thread should be changed. I was very disappointed when I read the title.:confused: :mad:

Our last cruise, just returned 6 Jan 07---was our first as a platinum member. We were on the Grand...there I needed to 'buy' a package, I purchased 100 minutes for $55. Was charged a one time connect of 3.95, for a total of $58.95. It was added to my onboard account ....and...immediately debited out. I used the internet only to check email....delete 'stuff', then get off. They had a sign up to please limit to 15 minutes, and I honored that. Even though there were many open stations while I was in there. It was a 7 day cruise...used it twice I think...hardly put a dent in my 100 minute account.

The new 'rule' would not affect me at all, nor do I think it would affect many of us....who use it as intended. The Grand on this cruise had only pay by the minute the last couple days of the cruise. And it was for those who wanted to get on and check flights, and print out boarding passes.

I don't think this is response to "internet hogs". Our last cruise, 11 days, had an internet bill of $195, mainly posting "live from" threads and checking weather and sea state forecasts. I'm sure someone in corporate did the math, checked the receipts and is now forecasting an increase in revenue by this new method. This also comes in addition to a general increase in drink prices on-board - at least on a couple of ships, a change-over to a 3rd party internet provider - on some ships as well and an increase in internet usage fees.

It appears that a major price restructuring and updating across the board is now in process

I think it is partly a response to those who use up a ton of time on the internet. I'm sure anyone managing the system would want to control costs - especially given the recent examples of blow-by-blow threads posted from Princess ships where it appeared a computer was in near-continuous use for hours on end on a daily basis.

Even Las Vegas has a limit on comps. Nothing is boundless. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to implement.

As to the question of how "fair" or "unfair" the charges are, the only reference that is relevant is Princess' competitors. If anyone has a better deal out there, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Agree with previous posters! Title of this thread should be changed. I was very disappointed when I read the title.:confused: :mad:

Our last cruise, just returned 6 Jan 07---was our first as a platinum member. We were on the Grand...there I needed to 'buy' a package, I purchased 100 minutes for $55. Was charged a one time connect of 3.95, for a total of $58.95. It was added to my onboard account ....and...immediately debited out. I used the internet only to check email....delete 'stuff', then get off. They had a sign up to please limit to 15 minutes, and I honored that. Even though there were many open stations while I was in there. It was a 7 day cruise...used it twice I think...hardly put a dent in my 100 minute account.

The new 'rule' would not affect me at all, nor do I think it would affect many of us....who use it as intended. The Grand on this cruise had only pay by the minute the last couple days of the cruise. And it was for those who wanted to get on and check flights, and print out boarding passes.

THANK YOU! Finally someone that actually read the responses and is understanding what is going on. You were a breathe of fresh air after all these people going off the deep end, and what for? Because the subject line was worded so incorrectly on this thread.

I read this as meaning you will have to "purchase" an access package to then receive a discount on the price of the package. It does specifically point to "Internet Cafe Packages" so I assume wireless access is not included.

Exactly you still have to buy a package. So it is not free anymore. :eek:

Toto2Kansas -

I respect your opinion but I disagree with you. Internet access is no longer free for Platinum and Elite members. You can either buy an internet minutes package and get a discount on that package of $75 for 7 day cruises or you can pay by the minute if you don't wish to purchase a package. Neither option is free.

I clearly stated the new internet package credit policy in my original post and it has been reinstated numerous times throughout this thread.

But you get a credit that will cover the cost of the package so its still free up to the total minutes included in the package.

I am still seeing that after buying the $100 package they will bill you the $25 difference. Isnt it just a $75 credit toward the $100 package? Or am I missing something? :)

I am still seeing that after buying the $100 package they will bill you the $25 difference. Isnt it just a $75 credit toward the $100 package? Or am I missing something? :)

It depends on the package pricing. A prior post indicated a package is available for $55 which would be fully covered by the credit.

Yes, for those of us that aren't rocket scientists, I think I get it.

What I "get" is --- the cost of the so-called internet package is

not listed on the web site [or at least I cannot find it] and

based on what some have said, it's $100. So if that is true, a $75 credit

amounts to the passenger having to still fork out $25.

If that is not true,

please educate me if my understanding is incorrect. Me, personally, I

don't need a lot of time on the internet. I spend most of my time outdoors enjoying the weather. I just want the facts

and perhaps in my haste this morning I did not interpret the posts accurately.:confused:

I still think it's nice to have something that's truly free, and watch out

everytime programs make changes, like a change in Platinum days, et cet.

It depends on the package pricing. A prior post indicated a package is available for $55 which would be fully covered by the credit.

There news release for 04/01/07 does not show the $55 package, only the $100 and up. I knew about the $55 one but this takes effect in April. I thought the $55 one was available now. :)

Is there a price list for the packages. It might be what is called a wash. A 75.00 package with a 75.00 credit is a wash.

We will have to see how Princess deals with this over time. Normally in a package deal you get a per minute discount. I say this because why would a first time cruiser buy a package if there is no deal involved.

I think Princess needs to work on this more. They need to define better what their intent is with this. In other words if they are going to offer a package. The package has to have some type of deal.

Toto2Kansas -

I respect your opinion but I disagree with you. Internet access is no longer free for Platinum and Elite members. You can either buy an internet minutes package and get a discount on that package of $75 for 7 day cruises or you can pay by the minute if you don't wish to purchase a package. Neither option is free.

I clearly stated the new internet package credit policy in my original post and it has been reinstated numerous times throughout this thread.

This is one of those times when time is going to have to tell the tale I guess.

We normally sail on 10+ day cruises, which will give us a $100 credit towards internet. IF I purchase a $100 internet package, then my internet usage for that time frame (currently 250 minutes) will be free, with no charges added to my account.

As said, I think we are going to have to wait until April to find out for sure on this. I think I am correct, you think you are correct. There is a possibilty that we both are correct depending on the length of cruise one takes.

Only thing that really bothers me is that you have gotten everyone worked up into a frenzy about something that none of us are even sure about yet. I hope you are enjoying it, as it did upset alot of people when you only have minimum facts about what is going to take place after April 2007.

What I am understanding is that I will have a $100 credit for internet usage on my 11 day cruise. That breatks down to around $9 a day for 18 minutes a day at 50 cents a minute. . It takes at least five minutes to sign on, and often longer, each time, and sometimes there is no connection even after that 5 minutes. My husband has his own business, and by the time we check that email, and check in with our kids and our families, we probably have used about 30 minutes a day of actual internet connected time.

We have enjoyed our Princess cruises, but the free internet is what kept us cruising ONLY Princess. That was the best perk there was for Platinum. We did not cruise one day cruises to make platinum, we cruised mostly 10 and 15 day cruises.

I am rather relieved that Princess has done this since it frees us to choose other lines too. If we have to pay, I'd just as soon pay the RCI's package prices and use a computer in our cabin. Perhaps other lines have this feature, too.........we'll have to check this out.

Oh, I also think that anyone that has booked and PAID FOR their cruise before April 1st should be "grandfathered in" for the free internet, if they were eligible at the time of booking, as that was part of the understood contract when they booked. Just my opinion, of course............. :)

Is there a price list for the packages. It might be what is called a wash. A 75.00 package with a 75.00 credit is a wash.

We will have to see how Princess deals with this over time. Normally in a package deal you get a per minute discount. I say this because why would a first time cruiser buy a package if there is no deal involved.

I think Princess needs to work on this more. They need to define better what their intent is with this. In other words if they are going to offer a package. The package has to have some type of deal.

That is the catch there is not going to be any $75 package, only $100 and up depending on the length of the cruise. :rolleyes:

Until someone actually sails after this new pricing takes effect in April we will not know until they report back as they (Princess) never puts the actual package pricing online as any info on it is only available onboard.

I wondered what that wording was going to mean, "towards an internet package". I figured this was going to end up costing us something. But I was hoping they would at least give us a bit of free internet, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

I feel really bad for those that have been trying hard to make Platinum status as it was one of the main perks on your 5th-15th cruise. This is really going to cause some hard feelings for those that have been just waiting to hit that magic number 6 cruise with Princess, I think. :(

Count us in on this, we just made platinum and our next cruise is on the SUN from Seattle to Sydney so of course they would change the perks now!!!! Not that I would be spending my day on the computer but I was looking forward to it and keeping in touch:D :mad:

I'm going to test this shortly and it will be interesting as to how they handle the situation.

On March 8th we board the Golden for 35 days. The first 12 I'll have free internet. The next leg is 23 days; March 20 to April 12. Will I still have free prior to April 1 and then they'll start the new system, or will they allow me to remain totally FREE for the entire cruise?

BTW, I don't think the privileges should be the same for Platinum and Elite. We worked a lot harder and a lot longer to get to Elite status. However, the powers that be evidentally don't agree with me.

Arlene

I'm going to test this shortly and it will be interesting as to how they handle the situation.

On March 8th we board the Golden for 35 days. The first 12 I'll have free internet. The next leg is 23 days; March 20 to April 12. Will I still have free prior to April 1 and then they'll start the new system, or will they allow me to remain totally FREE for the entire cruise?

BTW, I don't think the privileges should be the same for Platinum and Elite. We worked a lot harder and a lot longer to get to Elite status. However, the powers that be evidentally don't agree with me.

Arlene

I would think come April 1st it will change. :(

I just hope there will still be some "Live from" threads. I really enjoy reading these....

BTW I checked my captain's circle membership on Princess's website, and it does say the "credit" will start April 1st. However, it does NOT say if that applies to cruises that begin on April 1, or later...or if that applies starting April 1st if you are already onboard and boarded in March. Since April 1st falls during the middle of my next cruise, I'm really curious which will apply to me...also, it doesn't say anything about what packages are available, i.e. will that mean it will cover the entire cost of a lower package or not? And also, if it's per person (which it should be) or per couple, and whether it applies to minors under 18 who are platinum or elite of their own right.

This could still be more internet than most people use, depending on how it shakes out.

BTW did anyone else notice that it starts on April Fool's Day?

Archived