Free Internet to be Eliminated for Upper Levels of Capt's Club

Princess Patches

Will they still have per minute charges for people who just want to check their mail for just a few minutes on the cruise (those without platinum) or does everyone have to buy a package? i would hate to think it would cost 55 dollars to check their email once...

I would think that you would have to pay for any minute of use if you don't buy a package. :)

I too have cruised Princess exclusively these past few years. Last year did 5 trips. Free internet was a major driving factor. I guess I would be considered an internet hog as I checked my stocks and email an average of 4 times a day. I don't see why people have such an issue with it. I was not breaking any rules and if the cafe was full I would sign off and let someone else use the terminal. We usually do B2B trips and by the second week I (unlike my wife) was going a little stir crazy and wanted to read the news et. al.

The free internet was the best perk going. Now , not as much. I personally feel a little betrayed that after all the dollars we paid with Princess to get to elite status, they are changing the game mid stream. (I know they have the legal right, but that doesn't make it morally right.)

Celebrity had the second best perk, IMO, the wine blending for platinum level. I have passed up their cruises in the recent past, and now they will get a longer look like they did before we were Platinum and received the free internet. This may cost Princess in the long run.

Lastly, I hope Princess comes up with some $75 packages on 7 day trips so we can at least use/ not waste some of the credit if you don't want to buy a more expensive package.

Mark

From the Captain's Circle:

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

No problem here, I figured this was coming. Way too many spend hour after hour in the internet cafe if they have free access. This still allows internet time, just limits the amount of it.

I have read on these boards many times where someone has suggested to others that IF they meet someone who has free internet, just buddy up with them and borrow their card. Now maybe they will understand why that got such a reaction from some. Things like this are what ruin it for everyone.

Okay, our cruise starts on 3/31/07, do do we have unlimited access on that day and then $75 credit starting on 4/1?!! Of course I could call, but I"m going to get 20 different answers so I guess I'll wait until I get on board.

This is one of those times when time is going to have to tell the tale I guess.

We normally sail on 10+ day cruises, which will give us a $100 credit towards internet. IF I purchase a $100 internet package, then my internet usage for that time frame (currently 250 minutes) will be free, with no charges added to my account.

As said, I think we are going to have to wait until April to find out for sure on this. I think I am correct, you think you are correct. There is a possibilty that we both are correct depending on the length of cruise one takes.

Only thing that really bothers me is that you have gotten everyone worked up into a frenzy about something that none of us are even sure about yet. I hope you are enjoying it, as it did upset alot of people when you only have minimum facts about what is going to take place after April 2007.

Since you are on a 10 day cruise, then yes, the $100 credit will pay for your $100 package and therefore your internet usage is "free" up until the package limit.

The problem is with cruises under 10 days which many of us take. The $55 package if it's still available doesn't use up the whole $75 credit and also gives you half the time. The $100 package which may be the cheapest offered it looks like will end up costing a cruiser on a 7 day $25. This way, the free perk of internet is gone, it's now a discounted perk for $25.

I have yet to be on a cruise and seen an internet hog, guess I just don't spend enough time in there. It so figures that on our 11/4/06 Crown cruise while in a full suite I spent maybe an hour the whole time. Now that my husband is platinum and we're not in a full suite and he will need the internet it's no longer a truly free perk!

I have yet to be on a cruise and seen an internet hog, guess I just don't spend enough time in there. It so figures that on our 11/4/06 Crown cruise while in a full suite I spent maybe an hour the whole time. Now that my husband is platinum and we're not in a full suite and he will need the internet it's no longer a truly free perk!
I frequently see "Internet hogs" who seem to be in the Internet cafe whenever you walk by or through so they do exist. And even if you buy a $55 package, you do get the free perk (just not as much as you had before.)

For what it's worth... (probably not much!)

After reading this thread I called Princess and spoke with Natasha in the Captain's Circle. Unfortunately I take her answer with a grain of salt as she seemed to know less than I do. She claims that you do not need to purchase a package, but rather will receive credit for up to $75 (or $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise) of internet use. I don't really believe she knows what she is talking about because I asked her if she knew whether suite passengers will still get the free internet and she told me that has never been available to suite passengers. Typical Princess customer service.

P.S. - after writing the above I called back and spoke to another CC rep who sounded much more knowledgeable and she also said that you automatically receive the $75, $100 or $200 credit without buying a package. This rep (sorry, I didn't catch her name) also told me that suite passengers will continue to get unlimited free internet access so now maybe I do have an added perk for upgrading us to a suite for our upcoming Sea Princess cruise!

For what it's worth... (probably not much!)

After reading this thread I called Princess and spoke with Natasha in the Captain's Circle. Unfortunately I take her answer with a grain of salt as she seemed to know less than I do. She claims that you do not need to purchase a package, but rather will receive credit for up to $75 (or $100 or $200 depending on the length of the cruise) of internet use. I don't really believe she knows what she is talking about because I asked her if she knew whether suite passengers will still get the free internet and she told me that has never been available to suite passengers. Typical Princess customer service.

P.S. - after writing the above I called back and spoke to another CC rep who sounded much more knowledgeable and she also said that you automatically receive the $75, $100 or $200 credit without buying a package. This rep (sorry, I didn't catch her name) also told me that suite passengers will continue to get unlimited free internet access so now maybe I do have an added perk for upgrading us to a suite for our upcoming Sea Princess cruise!

That makes a lot of sense, hopefully that is how it is going to be handled. Again, time will tell, but it won't surprise me at all if instead of eliminating the free internet, they will be only limiting it for Platinum and Elite members.

Thanks for putting in those calls.

I frequently see "Internet hogs" who seem to be in the Internet cafe whenever you walk by or through so they do exist. And even if you buy a $55 package, you do get the free perk (just not as much as you had before.)

Yes, but a Princess rep just told me that $100 was going to be the cheapest package offered after 4/1/07. Hopefully they were wrong and the $55 package is still in place. If it's not, it's no longer a free perk but a discount as it would cost a platinum member $25 to have that package.

AFter calling twice, the only answer that I got was they didn't know how our 3/31 cruise would be handled. Technically they said it should still be free internet. I'll just wait until we're on board and find out. Hopefully since the new program doesn't start until the next day they will at least still have the $55 package in place.

Carolyn, we'll see what happens. Hopefully, it'll be a $75 / $100 / $200 credit rather than have to buy a package. That would make it much more palatable.

The key answer is "toward the internet package" period. They are not just going to give you a $75 or higher credit and not make something on the deal. :rolleyes:

Like your interpertation Spongerob....

In the time before this comes to be....imagine that we will hear lots more about it. And Princess will hear lots about it also. Hopefully, they will come forward with more clarification.

In the meantime, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. We have 2 future (unnamed) cruises booked with Princess....and no thoughts of changing them.

I read it as a credit. If you force people to buy packages, they'll be tying up the system even more, trying to get their money's worth. That would be counterproductive.

Then you are reading something totally different.

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

I read it as a credit. If you force people to buy packages, they'll be tying up the system even more, trying to get their money's worth. That would be counterproductive.

It is only counterproductive if the reason for the change is internet hogs. If the reason for the change is corporate profits then forcing people to buy packages makes perfect sense. I don't think Carnival cares about internet hogs. I think they want to increase their profit margin.

I was told the same thing as Colo Cruiser that you buy a package and you get credit on that package. The website clearly states credit towards an internet cafe package. How can you get credit on a package you have not purchased?

I hope you are right and that it is a straight credit. That would be easier. Maybe Princess reps will see this thread and rethink this policy and at least not make us buy packages and possibly increase the credit amount, which I believe is too low. A $100 credit on a 20 day cruise only comes out to about 10 minutes daily. Awfully hard to check your email and respond on that kind of time.

Under this new system we will also have to concern ourselves with the computer freezes that occur frequently wherein you are logged on but the computer freezes and you cannot work but the time is still running. I used to just come back later because my minutes were free. Now we will be charged for those minutes unless you go to the Purser's desk and make sure the time is not charged to your account. This means keeping close tabs on your account and trips to the Purser's desk. I will also miss the Live Threads on this website. I fear they will be drastically reduced under this new system.

Losing unlimited free Internet is not a deal breaker but it was a fabulous loyalty perk that we always miss when we are on other cruise lines. Princess seemed to have the best loyalty program which is a consideration when choosing a cruise. Princess has always made us feel like they appreciate our business.

Recently we were on HAL, I am not sure what they do for their Mariners, we have never figured it out. We had to buy a package of minutes that evaporated like nothing. I think we bought 140 minutes, it sounds like a lot but due to slow speed it takes 10 to 15 minutes just to log in and out of email quickly.

On Princess we totally loved free Internet to check email ( work and family) and a few quick sites 2 or 3 times per day. I dont remember seeing Internet hogs, generally plenty of seats available.

I am very sorry to hear of this development

I find it hard to believe they will only have one plan at $100. I have been working on ships with MTN and at one point I did in fact work for MTN and they always have different pricing. Such as $100 for 250 minutes, $55 for 100 minutes and then a per minute rate. If they offer only one plan they would be losing too much money. I think there will be an intermediate plan and a per minute rate included. If there is only one plan it will be the first time they have done it.

I find it hard to believe they will only have one plan at $100. I have been working on ships with MTN and at one point I did in fact work for MTN and they always have different pricing. Such as $100 for 250 minutes, $55 for 100 minutes and then a per minute rate. If they offer only one plan they would be losing too much money. I think there will be an intermediate plan and a per minute rate included. If there is only one plan it will be the first time they have done it.

The Princess rep didn't say that there would only be one plan, just that the cheapest/first plan available to purchase would be the $100 plan and they would go up from there. I asked about the $55 plan that I had read about and when she inquired where I had seen it, I couldn't tell her on Princess but had to say on here!

I'll be on the 3/31/07 Crown sailing, (just decided today and paid in full) so I'll be sure and let you know what the deal is if we still have the free internet as we're starting prior to 4/1.

A $100 plan is usually the highest plan so I find it hard the plans would start at $100 as there are people who only use a few minutes during the cruise. It doesn't make any sense.

The reps don't always know the exact details, I have often had people tell me the rep said things that were way off.

I have asked some conatacts about this to see what's happening. I am always hesitant to believe anything unless I hear it from the source.

I find it hard to believe they will only have one plan at $100. If they offer only one plan they would be losing too much money. I think there will be an intermediate plan and a per minute rate included. If there is only one plan it will be the first time they have done it.

There probably are other plans available,but...... to use the credit as a Captains Circle member then the $100 package must be puchased or something similar to that.

Who knows???

We will just have to wait and see.

It's not the micro-issue of internet usage that concerns me about this move, it's the incredibly cheap cost-saving measure taken against your best customers. I find that very tacky and very stupid.

How much margin are they making on internet usage to begin with? I would venture a guess that it is north of 60%. So what are they trying to save - again, at the expense of their best customers?

This will not change my cruise preference for Princess. It will however, change the value equation - even ever so slightly.

I am a Platinum cruiser. I wonder what's next. I mean, do they want a buck for the use of the robe? How about a water in the room charge?

Stupid, I admit. So is taking away a perk from your best customers. If you couldn't afford it to begin with you shouldn't have offered it.

I agree that this thread needs a new name. I don't recall a thread that has generated so much attention in such a short period of time as this one has.

My experience (Platinum) has been that I paid for minutes, and then was credited with that same amount. I am sure this method was used by Princess to keep track of total minutes used so they could put a new program into place (internet access in April on the Sun did not require purchase of minutes, just swipe your key card). I agree that the booting up process was extremely slow, but I only used it to read and delete my email so I didn't go home to 9 zillion messages (my ISP won't stop my service). It seems to me if your business requires constant monitoring via email, you need a laptop, satellite phone, and a manager:D . Please take this in the spirit it is intended.

And maybe those people who were in the internet cafe playing games or Sudoku will have to find another source of entertainment. I couldn't believe that someone would actually waste time in an enclosed room, staring at a monitor just to play hearts!

I am rather relieved that Princess has done this since it frees us to choose other lines too. If we have to pay, I'd just as soon pay the RCI's package prices and use a computer in our cabin. Perhaps other lines have this feature, too.........we'll have to check this out....

I can't speak to all the RCI ships, but the internet on the Jewel of the Seas was lightning fast in December. On the last sea day between Cayman and Port Everglades, I logged on to Continental's website, changed my seat and printed the boarding pass, then logged off and went through the same steps for my Mom's boarding pass. It was 4 minutes ($2.00).

Going through the same process at the Rio in Las Vegas cost me $10.00. I barely got the two boarding passes printed before my purchase timed out, I think there were 4 seconds to spare. The machine had this ball thing that you rolled around to pick a letter, then you had to click with a mouse button on the right side of the ball. Sometimes the button click didn't work and the ball would move so you had to reposition the ball thing again. It was the most awkward thing I've ever experienced.

Archived