Free Internet to be Eliminated for Upper Levels of Capt's Club

Princess Patches

I have expressed my concern several times on these threads about the people complaining that membership status should be based on days instead of cruises. I thought that would trigger a decrease in benefits because of the cost of the additional members at the various membership levels.

It looks like that is coming to pass on April 1, 2007. There will be no more free internet. The Princess website shows under the membership levels that instead we will be getting a $75 credit towards buying an internet package on 7 days cruises and slightly more credit on longer cruises. Free dry cleaning/laundry is probably next.

Not eliminated, just limited. I mentioned in a review from our cruise in December that a new breed of shipboard denizen was appearing, the Internet Hog, and suggesting that these measures were on the way although I had no specifics to share. I've never used that much internet while on board, and have no interest in spending my time on vacation sitting in front of a computer, so this is no big deal. People who use more internet time routinely will obviously have a different opinion.

So much for Platinum Perks. In a way that makes my cruise simpler. Live from threads typically cost $150 to $250. So now Princess has lost that amount of advertising while I'm on a cruise.

Based on the last 3 cruises: We don't use the Princess Insurance since it only covers Princess Air, the priority boarding either wasn't manned or was not any quicker than normal boarding, the Platinum Lounge on the Dawn was a joke and only the Island cruise enforced the Platinum only entry in the lounge, and I can download the cruise atlas at any time.

So being Platinum has come down to a $75 credit for internet use.

I think you are right. The next thing will be an Elite credit for laundry, probably in the $100-$200 range. This will probably happen when they remove the self service laundrys

So much for Platinum Perks. In a way that makes my cruise simpler. Live from threads typically cost $150 to $250. So now Princess has lost that amount of advertising while I'm on a cruise.

Based on the last 3 cruises: We don't use the Princess Insurance since it only covers Princess Air, the priority boarding either wasn't manned or was not any quicker than normal boarding, the Platinum Lounge on the Dawn was a joke and only the Island cruise enforced the Platinum only entry in the lounge, and I can download the cruise atlas at any time.

So being Platinum has come down to a $75 credit for internet use.

I think you are right. The next thing will be an Elite credit for laundry, probably in the $100-$200 range. This will probably happen when they remove the self service laundrys

JMO - I don't see princess removing the self sevice laundrys

Princess has not "eliminated" free internet.....they have limited the amount of internet that is free.

Big difference....

generally works out to about 20 minutes a day, which is probably all that most people would want/need in order to read or send a couple of personal emails each day.

From the Captain's Circle:

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

No problem here, I figured this was coming. Way too many spend hour after hour in the internet cafe if they have free access. This still allows internet time, just limits the amount of it.

I have read on these boards many times where someone has suggested to others that IF they meet someone who has free internet, just buddy up with them and borrow their card. Now maybe they will understand why that got such a reaction from some. Things like this are what ruin it for everyone.

O.K. I also figured that was coming. We had on previous cruises used the internet to send e-mails to check our elderly parents's health. We only did that once or twice while on a cruise. So really it does not effect us at all and will as above posters said eliminate the "Internet Hog".

Marilyn

From the Captain's Circle:

Free Internet Access

Credit Towards Internet Café Packages (effective April 1, 2007)

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days

I believe this credit would be per person if both people in a cabin are platinum. The 300 minutes at 50 cents /minute would be plenty for us. I wouldn't want to spend 5 hours on a 7 days cruise onboard the ship in front of a computer monitor!

I am glad that quite a few of the responders to this post are pleased about the elimination of free internet access for Platinum and Elite members because it will eliminate internet hogs. The only time I experienced any problem using the computers on board was around midday. If I went in the morning or the evening I never had a problem getting on the computers, even on the Crown which is the most crowded Princess ship I have been on.

I thought that the free internet access was the best perk on Princess or any other line and am disappointed by this turn of events. If you are equally disappointed you should let Princess know on your comment cards and on these boards, which I am told they read. Princess has been known in the past to be responsive to its most loyal customers.

As far as the use of the word "elimination" I believe it is correct. If you go to the internet cafe and swipe your Platinum or Elite card you will be charged from the first minute. It is only if you buy an internet package at a reduced rate where you will get a credit. If you buy a $100 package you will still pay $25. That is not free in my view. You are not getting 20 minutes free daily. You must buy a package.

I believe this credit would be per person if both people in a cabin are platinum. The 300 minutes at 50 cents /minute would be plenty for us. I wouldn't want to spend 5 hours on a 7 days cruise onboard the ship in front of a computer monitor!

I am hoping it will be for each person we will be on for 30 days and would like to keep in touch with the family and work but not for hours a day!!!

Oh, I totally agree, I am very sure it is per person, no doubt in my mind

Even posting live threads from our cruises I have never used up that many minutes on Princess in the past. I type fast, and this will really upset those that do not. I have seen those that sit in the internet cafe, especially on sea days, for hours and hours. Same ones, always sitting in front of a computer.

Abuse of any perk, even by just a small percentage of passengers each cruise can cause the elimination or decrease in that perk for everyone.

I guess that is why, when I hear questions about roll on coolers, large boxes of wine, and other things being brought onboard, taking advantage of the princess rules, I see red. If it continues and those who abuse the privledges continue, it will cause elimination or at least a decrease in certain things we have all grown used to, for everyone.

I mean, even now, Princess new rules with the ONE bottle of wine at 750 ML per person shows that they ARE paying attention. And who knows when they will begin to enforce this rule. I just feel it's very sad when a small percentage of passengers can ruin it for everyone in the future. huff huff (off my soapbox now, sorry)

As far as the use of the word "elimination" I believe it is correct. If you go to the internet cafe and swipe your Platinum or Elite card you will be charged from the first minute. It is only if you buy an internet package at a reduced rate where you will get a credit. If you buy a $100 package you will still pay $25. That is not free in my view. You are not getting 20 minutes free daily. You must buy a package.

I wondered what that wording was going to mean, "towards an internet package". I figured this was going to end up costing us something. But I was hoping they would at least give us a bit of free internet, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

I feel really bad for those that have been trying hard to make Platinum status as it was one of the main perks on your 5th-15th cruise. This is really going to cause some hard feelings for those that have been just waiting to hit that magic number 6 cruise with Princess, I think. :(

I feel that the unfortunate part of this internet situation is that before it was free to us--we really went crazy when after 10 minutes of our paid time we were still not on line--When you are not paying--you still don't like poor internet service--BUT--we were not paying for time we didn't use,

Although it used to be that if you reported these long times to the purser the minutes would be taken off the bill.

Not being Elite yet--I haven't enjoyed the laundry/dry cleaning situation--I'm sure that would really be a killer

I don't cruise Princess for the internet--anyway--we all have a lot of good cruising ahead of us

Have a great day

Nancy:D

DW frequently accuses me of looking for the bright side of things. Here I go again...

Just wondering, might this change in wording allow the $75 credit to apply to wireless internet access as well? If so, then this change might actually be a good thing for those of us who take our own laptops aboard and prefer accessing the internet this way.

Does anybody have any information on whether the $75 credit also applies to the wireless access, as well?

What no one here has commented on is how far out of line the internet prices are to begin with. While drinks, spa treatments, shore excursions, etc. may be 10-20% higher than their non-cruise counterparts, at $30 per hour, internet pricing is TEN TIMES higher than anywhere else (at no expense to the ship, vs. those other items which do have a per-item cost).

Also, as a first-time Princess cruiser, I was really surprised at how limited the perks were for 5-15 time cruisers! If I had shown that kind of loyalty to one cruise line (we have cruised 9 times but with all different cruise lines) I would expect more benefits... I was shocked, in fact, that the free internet did not include wireless internet! Why not? Again, it is no more expense to the cruise line (just a limitation in their ability to bill...)

I love cruising, but as the head of a small company I have to stay in touch when I am traveling -- and as a single parent and sole support of my two teenage children, I really cannot afford to let my work slide. I certainly am not an "internet hog", but I had to pay for 30 minutes a day (10 minutes for me to check my emails, and 10 minutes each for my kids to check in with their friends) -- on a 10-day cruise that amounted to over $150 extra in internet charges -- not a small sum for our little family! (Especially since we got an hour in an internet cafe in Curacao for $3.50)

I certainly hope Princess does read and respond to these boards. I LOVE that they have self-service laundry (I work out twice a day, and when I traveled on Royal Caribbean on a 7-day cruise I had to bring 14 workout outfits! Nearly went over my baggage weight allowance on the airlines.) and I hope that as I cruise more frequently with Princess that the perks for my loyalty will improve -- and in fact, I hope all ships start to offer free internet, especially if you bring your own laptop. Why not?

IMHO

-D

So, if I am understanding this correctly. If we take an 8-20 day cruise we get a $100 discount off our internet package. Since we can purchase an internet package for $100 for 250 minutes, then for our 8-20 day cruises, the interent would be free? Or am I misunderstanding here?

Toto,

From one Kansas dweller to another, you are sure correct about the abuse of rules.

It is the case in so many walks of life, those that work around the rules cause the innocent to suffer.

We buy drinks on board ( rare time we did bring a special bottle of wine but paid for corkage and storage in their cellar ), purchase the soda card,

buy internet package, etc.

That is what makes our vacation a "Vacation" not having to drag on board that which we could purchase.

I have not run into the Internet Hogs but have no doubt that they exist.

This will only be our third Princess cruise so not many perks yet. Higher status on Celebrity and Holland but we have come to love Princess.

It does seem that many lines are downgrading or eliminating many of the perks for repeat customers. That is really too bad but if some people have been instrumental in that ..well it is a business. The business will react to a situation that causes them to lose money.

I hope they don't take your free laundry option away. That would be such a nice perk, shouldn't cost them that much and would be wonderful on a long voyage.

Abuse of any perk, even by just a small percentage of passengers each cruise can cause the elimination or decrease in that perk for everyone.

I guess that is why, when I hear questions about roll on coolers, large boxes of wine, and other things being brought onboard, taking advantage of the princess rules, I see red. If it continues and those who abuse the privledges continue, it will cause elimination or at least a decrease in certain things we have all grown used to, for everyone.

I mean, even now, Princess new rules with the ONE bottle of wine at 750 ML per person shows that they ARE paying attention. And who knows when they will begin to enforce this rule. I just feel it's very sad when a small percentage of passengers can ruin it for everyone in the future. huff huff (off my soapbox now, sorry)

Hear! Hear! I agree completely. Anytime people abuse a priviledge, it ruins it for everyone else. That applies to anything and everything. You can bet that the people screaming loudest about this change are those who abused it the most.

Archived