Learn invent discover overeat

tammar

frozen thinges? are they on the lido deck also? lol actually i read on another post that the real meaning of lido in Italian is beach. Okay, so that is interesting, but boring. I like my description better. It is more realistic. lol

:)

The original Lido Beach is located on an island a few miles outside the main islands of Venice Italy. As cruise ships enter the port of Venice, they pass by this island. They are a group of islands - reminds you of the Florida Keys.

SO - why is the upper deck where the buffet and swimming pool(s), spa, etc called the Lido when there isn't a beach there?

I don't know.

:D :D

My theory is ........

Seeing as HAL was the originator of the Lido Buffet Restaurant concept, perhaps it simply was that when they first introduced that restaurant it happened to be located on Lido deck of the ship. Therefore, it became tradition to call it Lido.

Krazy Kruisers and Vicar have it right.

According to maritime historian extraordinaire John Maxtone-Graham, the ship's Lido was named for the "area encompassing the beaches surrounding Venice's lagoon." * The first ships to have a Lido were, in fact, Italian -- REX and CONTE di SAVOIA, built in the early 1930s. The space included not only a pool, but enough space for sunning, eating, and other outdoor activities. The theory was that people enjoyed being outdoors near the pool, and would lay out just as they would on a beach. And they did -- and still do until this day.

I really like tammar's definition, though. :)

* John Maxtone-Graham, Liners to the Sun, page 217.

there is a chocolate frozen thingy on the Grand Princess and boy is it good. Although, on the Zaandam they use to have a spinning cheesecake display that was there 24/7 and every night with a cup of coffee and a different type of cheesecake to go to sleep by, well that was special. trust me i diet all the time, but not on a cruise. lol

Archived