Do you have to lock your luggage when not flying?

Yes, they especially recommend that your lock your luggage when you leave it outside your door before midnight on the last night. They, unlike the TSA, will not check your luggage without you present.

I'll disagree here - I never lock my luggage (soft-sided with zipper). If someone really wants to break into it, I'd rather they just unzip it instead of slitting it open which has happened to people. Anything of value is in my carryon bags - if anyone wants my clothing (especially the dirty stuff on the way home, well, they must be pretty desperate! I know there is always a first time, but I travel a lot for business and pleasure and have never had anything stolen from my luggage.

As PhoenixCruiser stated the cruise lines do strongly recommend that you lock your luggage. It is not required. I have always done so, especially when placing it in the hallway. Locked or unlocked, if someone wants to get into the bag, they will. However, IMHO, locking it should discourage any "casual" tampering such as youngsters playing pranks in the hallways. As gerif says, anything of any value should be in your carryons anyway.

We just cable tie the bags when they are out in the hallway. The are given to the porters that way when we board the ship, and they are given to the skycaps at the airport that way when we disembark. Valuables are in the carry-ons.

If you are driving to the pier, you should lock them before you arrive at the pier and lock them before you set them out on the last evening. You are not going through TSA security.

Never lock luggage, in my opinion, that says, "I have something to hide". All that is ever is my checked luggage is clean or dirty clothes. I also never put any thing in the out side pockets, that is in easy reach. So far, so good, no problems.

I'm surprised...I thought that security was tightened up.

I believe they are all Xrayed, and if they find/see something of question, they will call you/leave you a note and demand that you open the bag in front of them. If they don't see anything, it will be delivered.

We had teenages running up and down the hall several nights, I sure wasn't willing to leave our bags (even if it was only dirty clothes) unlocked. And as mentioned b4, they advise you to lock your luggage.

###

Archived