Driving vs. Flying to Port

ariel7303

We are from Southern Indiana and are thinking about driving down to the Port of Miami for our fall cruise. We have no reasons other than we don't want to fly...meaning....we are not planning any side trips... just a drive down...cruise...and drive back. Has anyone done this and then regretted it?

We have drove 2x from Central Illinois to the cruise port.

We always arrive 1 or 2 days early to "recover" from the drive, but the drive is not bad at all.

This summer, me(38),dd(14),dd best friend(14), and her mom(40) drove down for a girls cruise. It was a enjoyable drive, the girls watched DVD's, talked on the phone, ect. We just chatted while we drove!

In March, we are driving down with another couple. We are arriving the day before. The airfare VS driving costs was enough that we felt driving was the right decision.

We have NEVER regretted driving! Plus, you don't have to worry about airflights, luggage, transporting liquid materials, ect!

Good luck with your decision!

Katie

If you are going to drive to the port in FL and go through Georgia, check out www.georgia-navigator.com . It has reasonably up to date info about accidents, road construction, rest stop status, etc. Also, when you get into GA, you can dial *DOT on your cell phone and an operator will answer traffic and routing questions. There are two separate sections of about 30-35 miles in south GA on I-75 under serious construction so getting those updates can be very helpful!

Enjoy the drive!

We are from Southern Indiana and are thinking about driving down to the Port of Miami for our fall cruise. We have no reasons other than we don't want to fly...meaning....we are not planning any side trips... just a drive down...cruise...and drive back. Has anyone done this and then regretted it?

I have never drove down before but I am on my next cruise ( Sept 30 ). With all the hastle of the airlines anymore fllying just isn't worth all the aggrivation. The last cruise i took ( May 2006 ), it seemed like i spent all day hanging around the airports.

Was on Voyager in May and if you are prepared to carry off everything with no help, I could have disembared as early as about 6:30AM, so heading back to South Western Ohio, it would be an easy 2 day drive.

There are only 2 of us going in September and the economics of it really don't justify driving over flying but when you consider the headaches involved with flying today, it will cost me a little more, but save me a lot in aggrivation.

Louisville to Miami is approx. 1100 miles or about 18 hours of driving and you are north or west of there . If you got the time ( two days each way unless you can and want to drive non-stop which I don't recommend ) and there are at least two drivers, it wouldn't be too bad. Cost wise you would have to factor in gas and car maintanance and wear and tear, accommodations ( 2 nights for both going and coming back ), meals and parking in Miami vs cost of flying. I don't know what length of cruise you are doing or number of people cruising but driving from a long distance favors a longer cruise with more people. I read before on CC that flights are more expensive and there are fewer options from the midwest states.These two facts on air seem always to be together. If you drive, look at arriving the day before and staying at a hotel that offers stay/park package for cruise passengers. I am sure others on CC can advise you on this.

I've done Interstate 75 from S. Ont. to Florida and its not a bad drive but is a long 25 hrs drive time for us and we can get fairly inexpensive flights. I've driven to NYC area to catch cruises which is about 450 miles or one day with no problem. We once drove to Norfolk VA to catch a cruise.

I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Driving to the port will definitely not work for our next cruise, as we are on the Serenade of the Seas, sailing from San Juan. :rolleyes:

So are we for Feb.3rd and there are four of us. Even if we could drive the 2,700 miles to San Juan, it wouldn't be worth it since our air from BUF is less than $250US each.

It really depends on how much you like driving and how much time you can stand being in the car. As much of a hassle as it is now to fly, a 3 hour flight would be preferable to me in lieu of two days in a car. I'm not sure how much money you might save when you factor in wear and tear on the car, a hotel for at least one night each way of the drive, parking at the pier, gas, tolls, etc. If you frequently take long trips by car you might be fine but if you normally only travel short distances by car a 2 day trip might turn out to be a nightmare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomperaugrr

Driving to the port will definitely not work for our next cruise, as we are on the Serenade of the Seas, sailing from San Juan. :rolleyes:

So are we for Feb.3rd and there are four of us. Even if we could drive the 2,700 miles to San Juan, it wouldn't be worth it since our air from BUF is less than $250US each.

While my post was rather tongue in cheek, I would probably drive if I was within 4-6 hours of a port. For me, the flight for 4 people from JFK (90 minute drive) to most major port cities is $1,000 for 4 people. Well worth the airport hassles. It would be 23 hours to drive to Miami for me. :(

I also prefer to get there a day early, have a nice dinner at a local restaurant, breakfast at the hotel and get to the pier early. I may even add a day at the end of the next cruise.

Eric

:) Flying vs Driving is a personal choice. I can compare both as we have done both. May 2006 we took the Serenade of the Seas from San diego to Vancouver,Canada on a repositioning cruise.Then we rented mini van from Hertz on a one way rental & took 12 days to drive back. When one has the time it is great to see the country.tip,stop in at AAA club & get a trip tick & tour books.

Flying .when we cruise & need to fly we always plan to arrive one or two days prior to the cruise & stay in a hotel.Makes for a far more relaxing cruise experience

Always check with the cruise line as to hotels near the pier that might have a program which offers a package of one night stay & free parking & even a shuttle from the hotel both to & return.This will save a lot of money & is more relaxing.

I'd rather fly and book a longer cruise! I would only drive if port was less than 5 hours away. The traffic, and all that sitting time wears me out! I know flying is a huge hassle, but when my cruise is over, the thought of not getting home for 2 days would throw me into a tizzy!

While my post was rather tongue in cheek, I would probably drive if I was within 4-6 hours of a port. For me, the flight for 4 people from JFK (90 minute drive) to most major port cities is $1,000 for 4 people. Well worth the airport hassles. It would be 23 hours to drive to Miami for me. :(

I also prefer to get there a day early, have a nice dinner at a local restaurant, breakfast at the hotel and get to the pier early. I may even add a day at the end of the next cruise.

Eric

I realized what you wrote was in jest and I like to drive to close ports which I consider within 10 hours driving time or one day. I have driven to NYC, Bayonne NJ and Norfolk VA to catch cruises. Arriving the day or more before is always best and usually gets you a lower airfare since you are not competing with cruise air passengers. That's how we got air for four to SJU for less than $1000 total. It would have been much more to fly in on embarkation day. We are flying in the day before our Feb.3rd Serenade cruise. Would have gone earlier but were just there for three days before our Nov. Regal Princess Panama Canal cruise.

My computer program Microsoft Streets and Trips tells me that driving from my house (North Carolina) to Port Canaveral should require 8 hours and 42 minutes (561.2 miles) in my Honda and should cost $32.13 at today's gas prices (actually $64.26 since I plan to return home too).

A 1100-mile trip isn't going to add a tremendous amount of wear-and-tear to my car, nor will it depreciate its value seriously. I'd get an oil change before the drive (if I was close to the 3000 mark), and I'd run the car through the car wash on half-price ladies' day ($5). That'd put us at not quite $100 for the car-costs -- and remember that all four of us can travel for that $100.

We'll drive in a day ahead (though we'd do the same thing if we flew, so I don't count that as an extra expense); I'm also not counting food on the road because we'd eat in the airport or in the Orlando area if we flew. We can leave the car at the hotel for free. My husband'll drop me, the children, and all the luggage at the port terminal, then he'll return to the hotel to leave the car. He will have to take the shuttle back to the port, which might cost a few dollars -- I'm going to stick with $100 as the total car-cost.

The time isn't all that different. If we flew, we'd spend one hour driving to the airport, then we'd want to be there 2 hours ahead of the flight for going through security and check-in. The flight itself would be about 1.5 hours. Allow an hour total to deplane, catch up to our luggage, and grab a rental car. Another hour to drive to our hotel at Port Canaveral. That's about 6.5 hours from our driveway to the hotel -- not a huge time savings over driving. Oh, and don't forget that we'd also have to pay to park our car at our local airport.

When we drive to Florida, we usually start early (so the kids'll sleep a little), and we usually stop for a gas/stretch break twice and a good long late lunch/early dinner break. Of course, driving time always varies a little, but we usually make it from our house to the port in around 10 hours.

Bottom line for my family: Driving is much cheaper for us. To do better with flying, we'd have to buy four round-trip tickets for $25 each, we'd have to get someone to drop us off/pick us up at our hometown airport, and we'd have to get a free ride from the airport to the hotel. That's not likely to happen, but if it did, it'd only save us 3.5 hours in travel time.

You should do an exact breakdown of your costs. A person who drives a big SUV and lives farther away won't see the same low price that I see for driving.

Driving if you can stand it, BUT, I would drive to arrive early the day before. God forbid that your car breaks down or hit very bad traffic. When I drove from RI to FL I went through GA and there was an accident that had all lanes of the highway blocked, we were parked with no way to go for hours. I also was going to drive through the night but by 2am my car headlights went out ( a fuse), well there really wasnt any where to get a fuse at 2am so we were stuck unti it got light, (we were in a rual area, few lights and nothing open). That added 6 hours to our time. So our 24 hour drive took 30hours. God news our hotel couldn't sail away without us... So i would plan to get therer a full 24 hour early in case something that requires a mechanic can be delt with and you still make the ship. It is my understanding that travel insurance will NOT cover you in this instance.

Do you really want to drive two days each way for a cruise?

Our drive from Chicago is about 24 hours. So not worth it. I would not drive my car that many miles, so I would rent. When you add up the cost to rent and pay for gas and park....It cost as much to fly. We pay about $400.00 for two to Miami. 24 hours of driving is a looonnnggg time! Add kids into that (toddlers anyway) and no thanks!

My main concern would be having to drive 24 hours home after a cruise! I coulnd not imagine being exhausted from the week and just wanting to unpack and wash the clothes!

Plus...leaving from snow (if in the winter) can be dicey!

;) Yup common sense whether to fly or drive should be the common denominator.

We are a retired couple ;but as much as I like to see the country side,I would fly in lieu of a 2 day drive,should that be all the time I had.When one has unlimited time to drive & the weather is good,then seeing the sights is the way to go.

;) Yup common sense whether to fly or drive should be the common denominator.

We are a retired couple ;but as much as I like to see the country side,I would fly in lieu of a 2 day drive,should that be all the time I had.When one has unlimited time to drive & the weather is good,then seeing the sights is the way to go.

My computer program Microsoft Streets and Trips tells me that driving from my house (North Carolina) to Port Canaveral should require 8 hours and 42 minutes (561.2 miles) in my Honda and should cost $32.13 at today's gas prices (actually $64.26 since I plan to return home too).

A 1100-mile trip isn't going to add a tremendous amount of wear-and-tear to my car, nor will it depreciate its value seriously. I'd get an oil change before the drive (if I was close to the 3000 mark), and I'd run the car through the car wash on half-price ladies' day ($5). That'd put us at not quite $100 for the car-costs -- and remember that all four of us can travel for that $100.

There is more to car expense than a wash and an oil change. How about other expenses like tires, tune ups and other maintenance like brakes and that new timing belts that Hondas require every 100,000 miles. You are putting miles on that will require the above sooner and if you do that extra drive often enough it will affect the resale value of your car although I know Hondas typically have good repair history and resale prices having owned them myself. Not all people drive Honda. Other things to consider is road accidents and hazards. One of my neighbors , this week ran over a board with nails in it and ruined two tires which cost $230 to replace.

Also it has been proven it is safer to fly long distances than to drive. We have had several cases locally of some idiot throwing rocks and chunks of concrete off of highway overpasses which struck cars and seriously hurt people in them.I also read that travel insurance doesn't cover you if you a transporting yourself to the port. It only covers delays with common carriers like airlines, trains and buses. What happens if you have an accident far from the port you are cruising from.This should also be considered in the decision to drive to a cruise port.

I also would drive if I was within one days drive of a port but not if it was longer than this and would plan to arrive at least the day before a cruise sailing to allow a margin of time for the unexpected..

We drive to Bradenton, Fl every year from Columbus, Ohio and then to Jacksonville for a few days. The trip to Bradenton is usually around 17 hrs (spend the night in GA, after Atlanta). Since we go for a few weeks and multiple places (last summer spent a week in Disney also) we don't mind it. But since we head home from Jacksonville, the way back is due able in one day (12-13 hrs). Miami, I would think you would have to add on at least 5-6 hours -over 22 hrs??(my husband has a lead foot, we make very few stops, and we try to coordinate the travel not to coincide with rush hours (especially Atlanta), I think we make good time.

For a cruise I would be hesitant to drive to FLA , incase you get delayed (there are to many things to worry about traffic, weather, car problems)ect, and you would have to figure multiple days for travel. I would also dread the road trip back home--Miami is really South.

Archived