Spirit changes checked baggage policy

lyttleone1977

Say a story on the news about this tonight.

Checked Baggage

Spirit Airlines requires that name identification be on the outside of any bags or luggage. We recommend placing identification on the inside of your luggage as well. Name labels are available at any Spirit ticket counter.

Please keep valuables, computers, medications, and important papers in a carry-on on your person. For helpful packing tips, click here.

For flights departing now through February 9, 2007, for each ticketed passenger, Spirit Airlines will transport two (2) bags as checked baggage free of charge.

For flights departing February 10, 2007 and beyond, for each ticketed passenger, Spirit Airlines will transport one (1) bag as checked baggage free of charge and a second bag for $10. Additional bags will be allowed and charged according to the excess bag fee schedule.

Maximum weight, without charge, for each piece of checked baggage is 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag. Maximum size, without charge, for each piece of checked baggage must not exceed 62" (158 cm) in overall dimensions (L+W+H). An extra charge applies for additional, overweight and/or oversized pieces. In no event will Spirit Airlines accept baggage that weighs more than 99 pounds (45 kg) and/or baggage that measure in single dimension more than 80" (203 cm) or combined dimension exceeding 160" (406 cm)*.

Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles and other sporting equipment are not included in the passenger's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge.

*Year round baggage restrictions may apply for destinations outside the contiguous 48 states. Please visit the Excess Baggage section below for more details.

For our policies on checking or carrying on animals, please visit the Pets section for more information.

We're flying Spirit in April and will only have one bag per person so it won't be a problem. But for 140.00 per person Detroit to Fort Myers, I wouldn't mind an extra 10.00 for another bag:D

We've flown them twice in the past year. On time, no lost or delayed luggage, and employees provided great friendly service. Can't complain about that!:)

Somebody on our cruise just booked with Spirit 2 days ago. Our cruise leave 2/10/07. They are coming down a day early so they are okay going down but coming back they are going to be hit by this charge. As they said, 2 less foo-foo drinks.

This actually makes some sense to me. That second bag probably costs more than $10 in fuel. I don't think I've ever needed more than one checked bag plus a carryon per person. Well, I might have checked something I could have carried on but I won't count that. I think a lot of times that extra luggage is a way to avoid shipping charges for people taking stuff to someone.

If it helps to keep the cost of airfare down, then I'm all for it.

Wow, the nickle & diming of passengers continues.

What's next? 1 dollar to use the bathroom? 50 cents to use the overhead bins? 25 cents to close the window shade?

IIRC, Ryanair has ordered their new planes to come without window shades. Just another cost item, along with the replacement issue. Ditto on the seatback pockets -- just another thing to have to clean out (labor charges) so they aren't included.

IIRC, Ryanair has ordered their new planes to come without window shades. Just another cost item, along with the replacement issue. Ditto on the seatback pockets -- just another thing to have to clean out (labor charges) so they aren't included.

I'm fine with the airlines not installing the window shades, seat pockets, etc. to save money on maintenance and fuel (every few saved pounds count). But when will the nickel & diming stop (besides passengers refusing to fly?).

I remember last year that American Eagle (American's regional feeder) tried an "experiment" where they were charging $1 per beverage on flights in/out of LAX (yes, charging for soda). Needless to say it was quickly discontinued when the uproar continued. This is all that's needed to stop this nickel & diming such as $10 for a second suitcase.

I'm fine with the airlines not installing the window shades, seat pockets, etc. to save money on maintenance and fuel (every few saved pounds count). But when will the nickel & diming stop (besides passengers refusing to fly?).

I remember last year that American Eagle (American's regional feeder) tried an "experiment" where they were charging $1 per beverage on flights in/out of LAX (yes, charging for soda). Needless to say it was quickly discontinued when the uproar continued. This is all that's needed to stop this nickel & diming such as $10 for a second suitcase.

But what happens when carriers say you can only have one carry-on and one checked per person? Wouldn't you rather pay 10 bucks then have to go without that bag?

And no recline mechanism on the seats. But that sorts out that argument, anyway.

With all these restrictions on flying I bet not too far in the future everyone will be shipping their luggage rather than taking it with them.

This week's Business Week (U.S. version) had an interesting article about baggage forwarding services.

The following were mentioned:

Luggage Concierge (www.luggageconcierge.com)

Luggage Forward (www.luggageforward.com)

Luggage Free (www.luggagefree.com)

SkyCap International (www.skycapinternational.com)

Sports Express (www.sportsexpress.com)

The Luggage Club (www.theluggageclub.com)

Virtual Bellhop (www.virtualbellhop.com)

But what happens when carriers say you can only have one carry-on and one checked per person? Wouldn't you rather pay 10 bucks then have to go without that bag?

That's easy, you just move your business to a carrier that doesn't enforce such restrictive & stupid rules. After all, these are airlines we are talking about and they are in the business of getting you from point A to point B, presumably WITH LUGGAGE.

Also one has to think about the value you are receiving in return for this. Typically when you pay more your get more, but only in airlines do they charge for something that was originally included. This is negative value which makes no sense from the customer perspective. If I have to pay more for something, I want to make sure its for something that's of value for me, not for something that was originally included in the price.

That's easy, you just move your business to a carrier that doesn't enforce such restrictive & stupid rules. After all, these are airlines we are talking about and they are in the business of getting you from point A to point B, presumably WITH LUGGAGE.

Also one has to think about the value you are receiving in return for this. Typically when you pay more your get more, but only in airlines do they charge for something that was originally included. This is negative value which makes no sense from the customer perspective. If I have to pay more for something, I want to make sure its for something that's of value for me, not for something that was originally included in the price.

What if airline A will move you and one bag included in the $100 fare, with $10 to move the second bag?

And airline B which doesn't "enforce such restrictive & stupid rules", will move you and both of your bags for a fare of $200?

Isn't moving your business from airline A to airline B just cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Sometimes it is the principal of the matter that matters most, even if it does end up costing a few additional dollars.

Personally, I'd rather pay a slightly higher fare and have everything included rather than paying a lower initial fee and then having to pay extra for just about everything. That's just my thinking.

Sometimes it is the principal of the matter that matters most, even if it does end up costing a few additional dollars.

Personally, I'd rather pay a slightly higher fare and have everything included rather than paying a lower initial fee and then having to pay extra for just about everything. That's just my thinking.

But what's the principle involved? "Everything" never been included.

For example, take baggage: worldwide, the standard economy class baggage allowance is 20 kg per person. The "North American exception" of two bags per person has always been just that: an exception. So an airline that'll take one bag at no extra charge, rather than two, may be taking away something that you've become used to, but it's not infringing any principle.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be using them ever again. They were a choice for me but they have lost my business and I think alot of business in Detroit for them will slow down for them as well. It will be interesting to see how this affects their bottom line. They have lost majority of cruise passengers IMO. Was going to use them for our upcoming cruise in November, but I will never use them espeically not for a trip to the caribbean or on a cruise. AA it is for me then!!!! I think the other airlines will make a nice profit due to this.

Archived