Carrying on your luggage / beer / alcohol

OCDACTIVE

Thanks Guy... Very sophisticated!.. I have heard also that if you use a hairdryer you can open the soda case easy..

Glue gun.. That is a great idea..

Do you use a roll on cooler?

Never used the roll on, I carry a large foldable soft side, get it iced up right away, beer will be plenty cold for sailaway!!!

In the past, I was able to purchase my liter of “Johnny Walker Blue” for approximately $120 from the ship duty free store and pay a “corkage” fee of $8. This was less expensive than purchasing the same at my local supplier for $158 and “sneaking” it on board.

Well, RCI has since changed this liberal (and I must say very customer friendly) policy and no longer allow you to purchase for on board consumption. The “marketing” gurus must have realized that they are missing some possible nickel-dime revenues by having this policy.

I love RCI but I must say that I would entertain a cruise line that treated us like adults. Going after the lower level clientele creates some short-term gains but turns off the established cruise patron. I would not be averse to avoiding the additional cost being charged to treating us in a classier manner. What is the possible loss of revenue in the bar bill ($200 at the high end)? RCI should be a leader and charge more. You have great ships, shows and food. Sell what you excel in not nickel-dime price wars with second-rate cruises.

...if you really need to carry it on, get a very sealed soda case, unseal it very carefully, put the soda aside, load desired beer, reseal with a hot glue gun. I can get two 12packs on in my carry on this way without any problems or worries about confiscation. You will not have any problems. you can also put some in your checked baggage in case that does make it on time!!!

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Brilliant! :p :D

Why not move the party to the last night on the ship? On our recent cruise, our kids bought us a bottle of scotch onboard ship. They delivered it to our cabin Saturday night so we could pack it in our checked luggage. We opened it and had a mini-party that night without breaking any rules. All fun and no worries!!! :)

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifGuests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy

The above is from the cruise contract and is the reason I wouldn't try to bring alcoholic beverages on board. I'd surely be the person they'd want to make an "example" out of and either put me off at the next port or not allow me to board at all.

The above is from the cruise contract and is the reason I wouldn't try to bring alcoholic beverages on board. I'd surely be the person they'd want to make an "example" out of and either put me off at the next port or not allow me to board at all.

Thank you cujosmom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not move the party to the last night on the ship? On our recent cruise, our kids bought us a bottle of scotch onboard ship. They delivered it to our cabin Saturday night so we could pack it in our checked luggage. We opened it and had a mini-party that night without breaking any rules. All fun and no worries!!! :)

May do that as well.. I just always find the excitement of the sail out party is great... You know those instances on the Love boat where everyone throws streamers, blows bubbles etc etc.. seems rather stupid but just adds to the fun. And being able to put such a party on for your close friends and family is always a nice thing to do.

I hear ya.. Thank you for the post.. Something to think about and that is why I started the thread.. I think though with the limited amount I am bringing and the amount of people that do bring their own, I should be fine... However your warning is duely noted.

Thanks again,

Happy cruising.:)

There are a lot of things they put in the cruise contract to cover their butts from a legal perspective, even though operationally they condone and allow you to smuggle booze as they have every means to detect it in checked luggage, but choose not to. Financially it is not feasible to do, and would be very time consuming, and also they do not want to anger cruisers, disembark you and not have you on board spending money.

One day it may change, but for now, a simple, "golly, I can't bring booze?" would be all that you would have to say even if they wanted to make an example out of you. They also don't want you showing up on the 5 o'clock news crying because they ruined your vacation. So smuggle away for now it is a very low risk violation of a cruise contract that has proven to be overreaching and unenforceable and been beaten in court more frequently than an ugly red-headed step-child ;)

In the past, I was able to purchase my liter of “Johnny Walker Blue” for approximately $120 from the ship duty free store and pay a “corkage” fee of $8. This was less expensive than purchasing the same at my local supplier for $158 and “sneaking” it on board.

Well, RCI has since changed this liberal (and I must say very customer friendly) policy and no longer allow you to purchase for on board consumption. The “marketing” gurus must have realized that they are missing some possible nickel-dime revenues by having this policy.

I love RCI but I must say that I would entertain a cruise line that treated us like adults. Going after the lower level clientele creates some short-term gains but turns off the established cruise patron. I would not be averse to avoiding the additional cost being charged to treating us in a classier manner. What is the possible loss of revenue in the bar bill ($200 at the high end)? RCI should be a leader and charge more. You have great ships, shows and food. Sell what you excel in not nickel-dime price wars with second-rate cruises.

We have mostly discussed beer, but you bring up a great point.. I also love JW Blue. I was unaware that you could do that in the past.

You say "nickel and dime" but when you are dealing with JW Blue it is not nickel and dime matter... LOL... very expensive.

How much is RCI getting for a glass, no matter a bottle of it? Does anyone know?

I am a very morale and ethical person. I am a veteran law enforcement officer and consider my intergrity to be one of the most important things in my life. However, morales are different to everyone as they are established by ones one value and upbringing. With this being said I have cruised several times in the past and have ALWAYS brought "beverages" onto the ship. I have put crown royal in plastic coke bottles, vodka in water bottles and rum in mouthwash. I have never brought on beer as I would not get the "bang for my buck" so to speak. In other words, I don't see how adults bringing legally purchased alcohol onto the ship to drink responsible is a morale or ethical issue.

Just my 2 cents.

I have enjoyed reading this thread....lol. We have always loaded up our luggage with at least three big jugs, no problem, just use plastic!! We always tip the guy who takes our luggage to the ship very well at least a 20 or 50 depending on amount of bags. One guy remembers us in Miami, always comes running over to help us out. Our bags are usually in the room before we get there. At the bars on board tip the bartender, nicely, they have always taken care of us.

Don't even want to hear about the ethicality of the above! There are better stocks to buy.....sorry. And our bar bill is usually at least 650.00 so they are not loosing any money on us. I like wine with dinner.

I have enjoyed reading this thread....lol. We have always loaded up our luggage with at least three big jugs, no problem, just use plastic!! We always tip the guy who takes our luggage to the ship very well at least a 20 or 50 depending on amount of bags. One guy remembers us in Miami, always comes running over to help us out. Our bags are usually in the room before we get there. At the bars on board tip the bartender, nicely, they have always taken care of us.

Don't even want to hear about the ethicality of the above! There are better stocks to buy.....sorry. And our bar bill is usually at least 650.00 so they are not loosing any money on us. I like wine with dinner.

Great post..... how much would you say is a good tip in your opinion that will attract such a response?

I am a proud Cruise Contract Violator. I always smuggle my JW Blue and/or Patron to share with friends. Worse, I don't give it much thought or deliberation. Nor do I use elaborate schemes -- except when protecting the bottles.

But what I wanted to add is that I will have ZERO remorse until RCI and other companies begin to uphold THEIR end of the Cruise Contract. I want to see unruly passengers chastened, warned or thrown off. I want the lounge chair anti-reservation policy enforced. I want kids out of the Solarium. I want customer service to be efficient and helpful -- especially when things go really wrong. I want security to be effective and not a joke. If it is so easy to smuggle liquor on board, then ... you know where I am going with that.

So, I say get off the ethical high horse. RCI fails to hold up its end and enforce its own rules every day. The OP, myself and others here just want to have a bit of enjoyment in the privacy of our cabins on our vacation.

There is far worse to be done.

I am a proud Cruise Contract Violator. I always smuggle my JW Blue and/or Patron to share with friends. Worse, I don't give it much thought or deliberation. Nor do I use elaborate schemes -- except when protecting the bottles.

But what I wanted to add is that I will have ZERO remorse until RCI and other companies begin to uphold THEIR end of the Cruise Contract. I want to see unruly passengers chastened, warned or thrown off. I want the lounge chair anti-reservation policy enforced. I want kids out of the Solarium. I want customer service to be efficient and helpful -- especially when things go really wrong. I want security to be effective and not a joke. If it is so easy to smuggle liquor on board, then ... you know where I am going with that.

So, I say get off the ethical high horse. RCI fails to hold up its end and enforce its own rules every day. The OP, myself and others here just want to have a bit of enjoyment in the privacy of our cabins on our vacation.

There is far worse to be done.

you say you don't have an elaborate scheme other then wrapping bottles.. I know how much JW Blue can cost.. Do you have a suggestion as to what you think is a safe way? I have heard bubble wrap but again won't that be a tip off?

Very good point(s) Jadnyc!!

I have been on 20-some cruises including 5 on RCi. I buy a 6-pack of beer at 2-3 ports per cruise and have never had it taken from me on boarding. It is always in a bag or backpack but I don't 'hide' it. I do expect liquor bottles to be collected for delivery on the last night. A couple have 'slipped' through but they were purchased as gifts or for use back home so it didn't matter.

Sailing on LOS in 2 weeks and plan to bring 'refreshments' in my checked luggage. I also spend my fare share onboard for wine and drinks.....

In an earlier post I heard that people have heard that individuals have been called down to the luggage hold to open their bags. I have been on only 3 cruises and have personally never heard of this. Given I am somewhat of a beginner but I was talking with some very experienced cruisers and they haven't heard of this either. Has anyone known someone or had it happen to them?

I am a very morale and ethical person. I am a veteran law enforcement officer and consider my intergrity to be one of the most important things in my life. However, morales are different to everyone as they are established by ones one value and upbringing. With this being said I have cruised several times in the past and have ALWAYS brought "beverages" onto the ship. I have put crown royal in plastic coke bottles, vodka in water bottles and rum in mouthwash. I have never brought on beer as I would not get the "bang for my buck" so to speak. In other words, I don't see how adults bringing legally purchased alcohol onto the ship to drink responsible is a morale or ethical issue.

Just my 2 cents.

It's not a question of morals or ethics, it's a question of rules.

Great Post! From a fellow NH cruiser...I will have my first smuggled drink...(maybe wrapped like a Birthday present in my luggage, smuggled in as a case of soda, or just chancing it in the bag) for you! :)

Hopefull I will sleep well, knowing my morals are not in check by my bringing on something advised not to. I will however quickly feel less of a moral dilema when our bar bill comes in at the end of the week at about $400 in wine and spirits. I will have safely retained shareholder value (my dad is an investor and a big time smuggler) in RCCL.

If you choose not to bring booze or choose to....it is a victimless crime. Can't we just all get along??

Cheers to you and Happy Cruising...no matter how you Choose to Cruise.

michelle

you say you don't have an elaborate scheme other then wrapping bottles.. I know how much JW Blue can cost.. Do you have a suggestion as to what you think is a safe way? I have heard bubble wrap but again won't that be a tip off?

JW Blue is a treat for me, because I usually only drink it on vacation. Anyways, here is my method that has yet to fail me:

One layer of medium-large bubble wrap. I then put that into a plastic bag to protect my clothes in case of breakage (I hope, it has never been field tested). I then place the bagged bottle into a velvet bag (I get them with dress shoes). I pack it in the center of my luggage. So after I write it out like that, I guess it is elaborate. :) It doesn't take that much time, though. I reuse the bubble wrap (Save the Waves!) and velvet bags. I leave them in the empty suitcase so I always know where it is.

I guess the only other concious thing that I do is I pack anything metallic in a separate bag. That way they would have no reason to open the JW Blue bag. I don't think they open bags that pass Xray and bomb sniffers. This is assuming that their protocols are similar to airport screeners.

Hope that helps!

I ordered some items to be delivered to my stateroom when we arrive. I ordered them thru

"Just Because of You". The prices were extremely reasonable (couldn't believe how much I will receive for the money I spent) not to mention the service. She will make your "basket" with whatever you want in it....

The website is...

http://justbecause.addictscay.com/

Best of all...you don't have to lug it on and worry that it will be taken anyways.

I have read about this in another topic on here, I take it that its a better and reasonable way to get you "liquid" essencials onboard without being branded a "smuggler" am I right?? :rolleyes:

I rarely post on the alcohol threads and I have no intention of entering the moral, ethical debate. I understand the question of "can I bring alcohol on board" will continue to come up as it's a hot issue however I can't help to question, does anyone really think it's a good idea to discuss how to smuggle anything onboard a ship today? This is a public forum viewed by anyone at anytime. I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that it is possible to smuggle anything on a cruiseship and it really needs to be said security at all ports is very tight, more so than the airlines as a ship has many hours to scan each piece of luggage unlike an airline and if anyone on here has been fortunate enough to get thier alcohol on board it is only because RCCL permitted it to be brought on as it was obviously identified as every single piece of luggage is scanned before loading not because anything was ever successfully smuggled. RCCL is well aware of each bottle of liquor that is packed in a piece of luggage. Let's just chalk it up to typical RCCL inconsistency on all their policy's and never to the ease of smuggling anything as that is definitely not true due to very tight security in place to protect all passengers at all times. ;) IMHO

There are a lot of valid points being made here. It is just part of being a member, we have to read other peoples view points even if they are wrong, :p

I have to go, I am leaving in two days and I haven't even packed my beer, wine and whiskey yet. I can do that right after I iron my jeans for formal night and pack my candles and iron...hehehehe

Just trying to lighten the mood folks!

Have safe and happy travels!!!

I JUST LOVE THE BOOZE THREADS...LOL!!! I really have had a great laugh over this "MORAL AND ETHICAL" bull %^&*!!! Since when is making money a moral or ethical question...LOL!!! Forcing a "GUEST" to pay a 400% markup is certainly an ethical question.

Once upon a time the cruise lines provided booze onboard for very reasonable rates...they were buying it in great bulk and did not have to pay any duty on it...the booze sold on a ship is duty free. This was always considered one of the ammenities onboard ship. Now we have the mega ships and the airline executives and pencil pushers trying to mass market and maximize profits...nothing moral or ethical aobut that. PLEASE...do not use the moral and ethical argument here...it just does not wash...the ONLY reason that the push is on to confiscate the booze from the pax is the quest for more profits...RCI used to sell booze in the boutique onboard and charge a markup if you took the stuff to your cabin...now they have cut that practice out...in order to make even more money...the shareholders can go cry in their soup...CASE CLOSED!!!

I will continue to bring aboard whatever booze I decide upon and I will continue to enjoy it in the privacy of my cabin...and I say this to all the rules and regs addicts out there...IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS...as long as I am not imbibing in a public area or bothering the other pax. I have a right to my privacy onboard ship...just as I would in any hotel. You can take your ethical and moral arguments elsewhere...and do me a great favor and do not respond to this post while you are at it.

NOW...HOPEFULLY...we can get back to basics and back to the central topic of this thread.:D

Archived