Elegant Tea on Mercury?

DaisyGirl55

Does the Mercury have an Elegant or High Tea? Is it every day, or just at special times? One more question...what would be the proper dress for such a tea?

I've never done this, but I read it somewhere on the Celebrity website, and it sound like fun! Have any of you done this, and what did you think of it? Love to hear from some of you on this....

haven't sailed Mercury yet, but sailed on Century 2x's and went to Elegant Tea once. It is only served 1 time on a 7 night cruise (there is a daily tea time that is served in the buffet) and dress is resort casual (if I remember correctly). I'm not a tea drinker but I really enjoyed the experience! The waiters are all in white gloves and they serve tea sandwiches, scones and desserts along with a selection of individual teas.

I felt it was a very enjoyable experience and I'm looking forward to doing it again in June.

The standard "afternoon tea" is just the buffet open with tiny sandwiches usually 4-5 choices and the similar for sweet items and then tea from the machines. The "elegant tea" I believe is similar choices except that it is served to you at the table.

Does the Mercury have an Elegant or High Tea? Is it every day, or just at special times? One more question...what would be the proper dress for such a tea?

I've never done this, but I read it somewhere on the Celebrity website, and it sound like fun! Have any of you done this, and what did you think of it? Love to hear from some of you on this....

Regular tea is served daily in the buffet area and is casual and self-serve. Elegant tea is usually served once during a cruise and is in the main restaurant. I'm fairly certain that the dress is informal and that ties are required for men. It is well worth getting dressed up to experience this. We wish they would do it more often.

Jerry

I was on Mercury Dec. 1-8 for a Mexican Riviera cruise, and the elegant or formal tea was held the same day as the second formal night (the next to the last evening onboard). It was held in a section of the main dining room, and the dress code is the same as for the formal night, as it is held late afternoon the same day. Everyone there was quite dressed up. Hope this clarifies for you.

It sounds very exciting, and to know we will all be dressed up a bit makes it even more so! This sounds like something I will definitely attend, and hopefully I can talk my DH into going as well! ;) Should be a great photo-op for my scrapbook.

Counting down mode, and everything I learn makes the anticipation that much sweeter. :D

I personally think that "elegant tea" should include good tea brewed from loose tea leafs, not the sub par beverage that comes from a tea bag. It is bad enough that you can't get good tea at a typical dining venue on a Celebrity Ship, but it is a real joke to call it "elegant tea" when they don't serve good tea that has been brewed from tea leafs.

I personally think that "elegant tea" should include good tea brewed from loose tea leafs, not the sub par beverage that comes from a tea bag. It is bad enough that you can't get good tea at a typical dining venue on a Celebrity Ship, but it is a real joke to call it "elegant tea" when they don't serve good tea that has been brewed from tea leafs.

Addendum to my previous post...In my opinion, serving "tea bag" tea at an "elegant tea" is comparable to serving Mateus Rose at a "Black Tie" wine tasting party that is held in an elegant venue.

I've already posted on the subject of the elegant tea's in the past...we never expect it to be as it actually should be done since X seem to have little idea of the sequencing of tea service...we are Brits so we know the correct procedure.... you should have more than one tea bag (ask for another) if you get the large size pot of water they normally give each person....one tea bag is too little to make proper tea in this pot size.

They (strolling waiters) then appear with trays of sandwiches cut nicely etc etc and offer you one or two.After an interval, they will appear with cakes etc and the sweet trolley will be wheeled round....they should have already offered /served you the scones before they bring the cakes but for some reason they put the scones on the sweet trolley too????.... then they might appear back again to offer you another sandwich ?????....

as if you would go back to savoury "eats" after you've had "sweet" eats????

The standard of dress is definitely requested as jackets for guys(possibly a tie as well) and "afternoon tea " appropriate dress for ladies.

The whole experience is fun generally... try to sit with someone who will include you in their conversation!!!!!very important tip!

Had "elegant tea" on Summit (If you are the appropriate Capatins Club member you will get invitation to a CC only tea in the "other dining room" with a harpist playing"

Other side you see it listed in Platters (around 4p.m) it is in the main dining room. Whilst I do not wear anything approaching "formal" I do wear an afternoon tea dress.

A word of advice. They only seemed to come around once with the sandwich tray, so if you think you might like more than a very small taste, be sure to take "extra". The scone is part of the desert trolly, so be sure to have that (though as an ex Brit, it is not the scone with clotted cream ala UK) Also be sure to get your cream cake at same time, the trolley is only brought around once.

WARNING Do NOT fall for the "would you like some champagne" You will find yourself having to pay for it, fine if you are prepared for that, but at the table I was at, the ladies were shocked , they thought it was part of the tea.

Eat and enjoy

Hi,:) as you can see, you will get different replies from many

different people.

I have attended the Elegant Tea on different ships and have enjoyed

myself everytime.

Personally, I don't think its a joke, but then again that is just my

opinion.

If you have never been and it sounds like you are definitely

looking forward to it, I say go and enjoy yourself.:)

Yes, they serve the tea in tea bags. And that is ok with me.

I am not used to drinking loose tea anyway.

(More of a coffee gal;) ). But each time I go, I am glad I did.

In my opinion it is a really nice time.

On Mercury, the Elegant Tea is held in the Dining Room,

usually one afternoon on a 7 day cruise.

Finger sandwiches along with a pastry cart. Thinking back,

I guess my experiences were different than some of the other

cruisers....each time, there was more than one waiter with

the sandwich trays and they were always coming back to see

if we wanted more.

And the Pastry cart came back more than once as well.

I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the Tea and

the entire cruise:)

Oh, I usually wear something in the family of black slacks

with a nice top and felt very appropriate.

Lois - thanks for your reply! That is exactly what I was looking for...a description of the Tea itself, and now I also know about what to wear. Don't want to be dressed wrong by mistake...someone may write about me in a future post! :eek:

The tea really sounds like fun, and surprise, surprise - my DH said he would like to go, even if he has to wear a sport coat and drink tea. :p sigh - he really does love pleasing me!

I know I still have 5 months to go, but I am really starting to get rather excited about my trip! I'm gonna have a blast!

Archived