Warnemunde/Rostock Germany?

chrismch

This is one of our ports on our Baltic cruise. Any suggestions for what to do in port? the only suggestion I have received so far is taking a train to Berlin which will end up taking most of the day with just a short time there. Is there anything closer in to see and do?:p

Of course:

you just take the boat to Rostock itself or you just walk through the little village of Warnemünde alongside of the old houses and the canals and have a nice day at the beach of Warnemünde.

Or you just rent a bike and discover the beauty of the Baltic sea seaside.

You always forget that you are arriving in a small town which is connected to a mid-size town.

Rostock has 200.000 inhabitants of which abt. 8.000 are living in Warnemünde.

Visit http://www.warnemuende.de and http://www.rostock.de to discover yourself what you might expect if you are not accepting long transit times.

So the sights is very limited to fill out a complete day.

If you are nature lover I am quite sure that you will have a lot of fun.

But spending few hundered/thousands of dollars and then to stay one day in Rostock or Warnemünde could be very disappointing.

That's the reason why a lot of cruisers like to go to Berlin or Hamburg and accept the longer transit times.

The same you have in Alexandria to see Cairo (3 hours),

Civitavecchia to Rome (1 hour)

Piraeus to Athens (1 hour)

Le Havre to Paris (2 hours)

Southampton to London (2 hours)

Zeebrugge to Brussels (2 hours)

Not all major cities do have ports that allow cruise-ships call their port!

Regards,

HeinBloed

chrismch, if you don't want to spend hours on the train, you can do a search of these boards for other posts that I've written on Wismar and Bad Doberan. Both of those locations are a short train ride from Warnemunde and Rostock. In fact, you can stop off to see both those places on the way to/from Lubeck because they are on the same train path. And as others have noted, Warnemunde and Rostock both have appeal, but they are not my favorite stops in this area. You should find listings of activities in addition to the suggestions above by using a book like Frommers Germany or http://www.frommers.com. You'll have lots of options.

Have a great trip,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Twice, I have taken the train from Warnemunde to Rostock and spent the morning sightseeing in Rostock, then going back to Warnemunde for an afternoon of sightseeing there and having lunch along the canals. So I would recommend that alternative to an all-day train ride to/from Berlin. The train station is immediately adjacent to the dock in Warnemunde.

When I ultimately get to Berlin, I want to spend at least 3 days there, rather than a hurried few hours.

Just my opinion. Gene

Is there nothing else worthwhile to do than getting on a train for hours? I can't believe this is all past cruisers have done. There has got to be other ideas out there??:p

We rented a car and drove for 2.5 hours each way and had enough time to see Berlin on a HOHO bus. We had 5-6 hours in Berlin.

This was one of the last stops on our 10 day Baltic cruise last year and we thought that by the time we got there we would be "toured-out" and tired. So we had a relaxing breakfast on the ship and then took the train in to Rostock and transferred to another train to Bad Doberan. We walked around this pretty town for about an hour and then took train back to Rostock and walked in to the main area and enjoyed a pleasant lunch at an outdoor cafe. Those who went to Berlin enjoyed it but said it was a very tiring day. I wish we had spent some time strolling through Warnemunde itself but we just tired out. Also, I do not know if it is standard, but we were told to be out on deck for our late night departure from Warnemunde and it was something to see. Local people lined the shore waving good-bye, boat whistles were blowing, and even fireworks signaling our departure. A beautiful memory.

Archived