TIPS For Saving money on board....

[quote name='cruizinrican']Don't buy anything from the gift shop until the last night of the cruise. They mark everything down that night. T-shirts, jewelry, gifts and clothing.

If you enjoy massages, and who doesn't? The last two days of the cruise, especially at sea days, they will discount massages and spa treatments. But note that some massages are done in the watchful eye of the pool bathers, right on deck! But we don't mind for the price.

Bring bottle water, the ships water is expensive at $3.50 a bottle times two, it gets pricey when you buy it on a daily basis.

And do take advantage of the free drinks available but I'd stay away from the ship's water. Drink only bottled to be sure.

I think it is funny that someone actually admitted, that they went to the art auctions to drink the free champange! I do that alot too!

Book excursion off the ship, to get a cheaper rate. We save hundreds every cruise this way.

If you drink beer, do the bucket of beer for $10 for 5. And it looks cute too.
But stay away from the frozen drinks poolside if your trying to watch what you spend, there $7!

Like to drink but are looking for a bargain, look in the daily newsletter for the drink special of the day. And order that all day long. It saves a few dollars a drink.
Also, at night on RCI serves a different shoot (6 total) in a cute little glass every night that you can keep the glass. And they will even provide a little box with dividers to hold them all in. I had a set of 2 of them, gave one to my brother for Christmas! He loved it.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to mention that when we cruised Conquest last year the spa set up a massage chair up on one of the higher decks and gave neck and back massages for $1 a minute with a minimum of 15 minutes.. It was a nice massage and was priced reasonable..

• 2 weeks later...
I have been in the water business for years and most bottled water is no better than filtered tap water. The ship distilles their water from sea water which takes out all minerals and all the bad things except VOCs. VOCs can go through a distiller but a carbon filter will remove them. Not sure if the ships do that step but VOCs are hardly ever present in sea water.. I have read that the ships even go to the step of adding the minerals back in that should be in the water. Also not sure if this is true. I am sure that the ships water is TOTALLY safe ( probablly better than the bottled) and I always drink it. Some people might notice a slight taste difference. SO to save money :rolleyes: DO NOT WASTE IT ON BOTTLED WATER. Buy one bottle of some kind and take the ships water off with you when you go on shore so you will always be safe.( or brink beer---LOL) Woody;)

Yes you can pack water and pop in your luggage Lisa766.

We packed a 6-pack of water and a 6-pack of pop, and had no problem bringing it on the ship. We bubble wrapped the soda to help ensure there wouldn't be any sugary accidents in our luggage.

We had no issues getting these items on board, we ended up having space in our luggage afterwards for souvenirs - and we saved a few bucks in the process. Only a few bucks - but it counts!

FYI - my husband also bought 2 six packs of Heineken in Nassau and carried them on board in the plastic shopping bag. He walked swiftly through the security area when we boarded the ship and had no problem bringing the beer to our cabin. It cost us only $1 per can. Worth the effort of carrying it a short distance. Even if they do confiscate the beer from you when you board, they return it to you the night before your cruise ends, so you have time to enjoy a little (or a lot of it) and then pack the rest in your luggage for your voyage home.

lisa

go to [url="http://www.carnival.com/"]www.carnival.com[/url]. under the gift link go to ' specialty items'. in order to buy things here you have to have a booking number and maybe a cabin #. other wise you might be able to call them and buy them over the phone. i have gotten a few things already ( flowers, wine, photo/bar coupons and a nightshirt ordered already. this helps me too not have such a high sign and sail bill at the end of the cruise. and it is fun to have things waiting for you in the cabin. i think the soda and bar coupons are given to you at your table during dinner the first night. have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been reading all your comments and love to hear about your experiences and I know this is not related to the subject but could anyone tell me how to get that timer you have on your replies with the dates on? I would love to put that on mine. I sail on 6th Feb .

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='queen_kathy1']Yes you can pack water and pop in your luggage Lisa766.

We packed a 6-pack of water and a 6-pack of pop, and had no problem bringing it on the ship. We bubble wrapped the soda to help ensure there wouldn't be any sugary accidents in our luggage.

We had no issues getting these items on board, we ended up having space in our luggage afterwards for souvenirs - and we saved a few bucks in the process. Only a few bucks - but it counts!

FYI - my husband also bought 2 six packs of Heineken in Nassau and carried them on board in the plastic shopping bag. He walked swiftly through the security area when we boarded the ship and had no problem bringing the beer to our cabin. It cost us only $1 per can. Worth the effort of carrying it a short distance. Even if they do confiscate the beer from you when you board, they return it to you the night before your cruise ends, so you have time to enjoy a little (or a lot of it) and then pack the rest in your luggage for your voyage home.[/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I had no idea that if they took it from you they'd give it back! Wow -- my DH LOVES beer & wine so taking his own might be the best way to go. I wonder just how much we could take on and/or buy once in port; we'll be stopping at Costa Maya and Cozumel. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I'm more of a diet soda girl - I can just see us trying to take on more than we should and getting stopped! I'd be so ashamed. :rolleyes: [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=magenta]Can anyone suggest the best places to buy liquor, beer, wine and soda while in Costa Maya and/or Cozumel? Being newbies we'd really appreciate any insight![/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I am learning so much from your posts -- you guys are going to save me bunches of money![/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Steph[/font]

[quote name='Past it']I have been reading all your comments and love to hear about your experiences and I know this is not related to the subject but could anyone tell me how to get that timer you have on your replies with the dates on? I would love to put that on mine. I sail on 6th Feb .[/QUOTE]

[url="http://www.geocities.com/quietman01970/maker1.htm"]http://www.geocities.com/quietman01970/maker1.htm[/url]

I can finally help someone else!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Laurab23']I buy paperback books at a thrift shop and when I'm done I just leave them in my room.Then I have room for stuff I've bought on shore.
Laura[/QUOTE]

I take paperbacks purchased at garage sales and thrift shops also. When I'm finished I take them to the library for paperback exchange or, more often, hand them to a cruise employee who can use them.

On NCL Majesty in November I passed my 50-cent copy of ``Isle of Palms'' on to one of the entertainers from the Phillipines. Story line takes part in Charleston, S.C. where Majesty docks and is filled with local heritage info - nice romance story as well. Entertainer was elated and said she would pass it along to another ship employee when she finished.

Dianne

This one I got from the owner of Underworld snorkel and ski.If you are looking to spend money on the water proof wallets,don't waste your money on them use a snack size ziplock baggie( no the zipper ones) sqeeze all the air out and give to your DH to put into that fancy little pocket in the trunks.More money for foo-foo drinks!:D

Another money saving tip I have discovered is not to buy from the Photo Gallery until the last day of the cruise....

Just keep "stacking" your photos that you might be interested in buying on a bottom shelf of thye display rack (no one will bother them) and on the last day of the cruise some cruiselines will cut the prices in HALF! Then, not only do you get photos at half-price, but the "impulse-buying" issue has also hopefully passed and you only go home with photos you will actually use!

[quote name='ripleysmom']3 big tips.....

Stay away from the photo gallery.

Look for private excursions, they are generally less expensive than the ships' offerings.

Don't drink!! ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lougee1043']dont gamble and stay out of the gift shops[/QUOTE]

just stay in your room, it's really cheap and you won't be tempted :0)

[quote name='swimmer_steph'][font=Comic Sans MS]I had no idea that if they took it from you they'd give it back! Wow -- my DH LOVES beer & wine so taking his own might be the best way to go. I wonder just how much we could take on and/or buy once in port; we'll be stopping at Costa Maya and Cozumel. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I'm more of a diet soda girl - I can just see us trying to take on more than we should and getting stopped! I'd be so ashamed. :rolleyes: [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Steph[/font][/QUOTE]

You are thinking about customs if you thought that the cruise line would confiscate carry-on alcohol and not return it to you. Example: when I leave Canada for at least 7 days, I am allowed to bring back 1.5L of wine/alcohol or 24 cans of beer duty free. Bringing in more than this allowance, per person, would be a problem! I would then be on the hook to pay the applicable duty/taxes on the excess or customs would confiscate and not return the excess amount to me. If I was caught not declaring that I had the excess alcohol, they would likely also make me pay a penalty/fine.

You are not passing through customs every time you board the ship after being in port - only the cruise line's security.

You will be held accountable at the end of the cruise for your alcohol purchases, when you disembark in the US and go through customs (or when you fly back to your home country.)

Whether it's beer, wine, soda, water - the ship wants you to buy on board, not bring your own. So if they catch too much on you, they'll hold onto it for you and then return it to you at the end of the cruise.

Use good judgment - most people want to enjoy a few drinks in their cabin and not have to make their way to the bar or restaurant to get one every time they're thirsty. The cruise lines tend to look away at minimal beverages being discreetly brought on board. If you bring on board so much stuff that it seems like you'll be opening up your own bar or soda shop in your cabin - well that's a different matter.

My biggest money-saver has been not to use the slow connection and exorbitant rates for internet access on board, but wait until we reach a port. I have found much cheaper internet cafes in St. Thomas, Cozumel, GrandCayman, Juneau, Alaska -- even the Panama Canal!
If you are a platinum member on Princess, internet access is free, and probably the other lines have this perk for past cruisers. But if you're fairly new to the line, wait until you get to shore.
Bon Voyage!

Its been 2 years since we have been on a cruise (and jonesing the whole time) and I thank everyone that posted on this thread ideas I surely plan on using especially after our three previous cruises each had bar bills that was bout the cost of adding a person to our room.

If you have kids, the kids club gives the kids lots of great souvenirs. I've cruised twice with the kids. Both times they recieved t-shirts, that they colored themselves, puzzles, sandart, a tote bag, a toy basketball net, and drinking mugs just to name a few. The kids were thrilled and I didn't have to pay for any of it. Of course all of the things had a Carnival logo, but that was fine with the kids.

Michelle

Victory 11-2001
Triumph 3-2003

[quote name='emarismom']If you have kids, the kids club gives the kids lots of great souvenirs. I've cruised twice with the kids. Both times they recieved t-shirts, that they colored themselves, puzzles, sandart, a tote bag, a toy basketball net, and drinking mugs just to name a few. The kids were thrilled and I didn't have to pay for any of it. Of course all of the things had a Carnival logo, but that was fine with the kids.

Michelle

Victory 11-2001
Triumph 3-2003[/QUOTE]

This is great advise! Last year my son received a CD case, canvas duffel bag, t-shirt and some other misc. things all complements of camp carnival!

I saw several threads mentioning that you can bring beer on board princess without a problem. I love my beer, and I've always brought it on board without a problem as well. I was just curious because DW and I will be sailing on the Golden Princess in April.

John

Archived