TIPS For Saving money on board....

[quote name='JazzzLovr']That sounds like a nice idea, but I wasn't able to find anything on Royal Caribbean's site about this option. Does anyone know if they do this?

Thanks!

Tammie[/quote]
[COLOR=navy]I would just telephone "[/COLOR][URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/home.do;jsessionid=0000XaNDPSelUeNAsR9v0Dn4SKs:10ktmeta1"][COLOR=navy]Gifts & Gear[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=navy]" By phone: (800) 722-5443 and inquire whether or not they are able to offer to sell you a gift certificate.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy][B]Spa Suggestions[/B]
Some ships use "models" to "sell" their treatments. As soon as you board head to the spa to inquire if they will be requiring anyone to help demonstrate. This should get you [I]THAT[/I] treatment for free.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]And of course, as I believe was already mentioned, take advantage of "Spa Specials" while you are in port.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=navy]If you have to have a manicure onboard the ship, DO NOT request a manicure. ONLY request a polish "CHANGE". This was a $40+ mistake I will NEVER make again.[/COLOR]

Oftentimes, arranging your own air is cheaper. However, to avoid offering cheaper prices on the cruise in which booked passengers have already have paid more for the same category, cruiselines sometimes offer cheaper airfare instead of reducing the cruise rate. We found a regional special on the air and transfers from San Fran to NY if you booked a balcony category. The reduction turned out to be over $300, while the OV category was only $100 less than the balcony. In other words, booking the balcony with air actually saved us money over booking an OV or even an inside cabin with air. The TA did not necessarily know about this special (how could they know of all of these?) so it paid for us to check the prices out on each category. We usually book our air separately, but not before checking the specials offered through the cruiselines first.

How did you find the reduced price cruise air - on the cruiseline's website? I have tripped on $99 air too - but it's hard to find - I guess it's a flash in the pan - offerred for a day or so then all grabbed up and not available after that. I do notice that some travelagents tend to have air included or $99 specials advertised....

[COLOR=navy]Last year when we booked our Christmas cruise on Celebrity we priced it directly through the cruise line and then some online agencies. The online agencies were offering a resident special for Georgia, but Celebrity said if we booked directly through them they could not honor the discount. I know makes no sense. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy][/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]In the past I have found one on line agency which gives a hint that there may be "residency rates" by labeling their ad something to the effect of "top value". If it says only that with say, no shipboard credit or category upgrade this can be an indicator.[/COLOR]

Guest rfrenchbaxter
[quote name='hooked-on cruising']Rfrenchbaxter:

As far as I know, RCCL does not have drink coupons. BUT............RCCL offers soda and juice packages. DH and I make this the first thing we do as soon as board our RCCL ship: BUY THE SODA AND JUICE PACKAGE - it is $6.00 per night (x the number of nights of your cruise). This allows you to consume unlimited amounts from the fountain (no cans) in 99.00% of the venues aboard. There is usually a table set up outside the Windjammer on boarding day for this purpose but I think it is only during the earlier part of boarding day (around lunch time to mid-afternoon).
There is also a wine and dine package, but DH and I are not wine drinkers so we have not availed ourselves of this package.

You can find out more at the RCCL website, under onboard extras.

Have fun on your cruise.

regards from hooked-on cruising[/quote]

Thanks Hooked-on cruising!
Rfrenchbaxter

• 2 weeks later...
I love money saving tips! This is exactly a $$ saving tip....but it is a health saving tip:) We take Crystal Light on the go packets.....one is perfect for a regular bottle of water. My DH is pre-diabetic so we are really watching his sugar intake. We both love lemonade, but the free lenonade on the cruise is packed with sugar. The Crystal Light on the go are a great alternative. There are a variety of flavors besides lemonade.

[quote name='Cruise Raider']Oftentimes, arranging your own air is cheaper. However, to avoid offering cheaper prices on the cruise in which booked passengers have already have paid more for the same category, cruiselines sometimes offer cheaper airfare instead of reducing the cruise rate. We found a regional special on the air and transfers from San Fran to NY if you booked a balcony category. The reduction turned out to be over $300, while the OV category was only $100 less than the balcony. In other words, booking the balcony with air actually saved us money over booking an OV or even an inside cabin with air. The TA did not necessarily know about this special (how could they know of all of these?) so it paid for us to check the prices out on each category. We usually book our air separately, but not before checking the specials offered through the cruiselines first.[/quote]

Flying east requires us to fly in the day before. On our first cruise, we got airfare for $125pp out of KC (from NE here). And we paid about $100 for hotel. We also had to stay the night we disembarked to get such cheap airfare...so really was $225pp. FAR cheaper than thru cruiseline. Interestingly, it is sometimes a better idea to drive 3 hrs. to KC...Lincoln flights are OFTEN cancelled due to half-full flights (oh, the airlines would never say that....). So crazy, but often we SAVE time this way!

BUT for our March cruise, flights are terribly expensive! It was almost the same cost through Princess. And this time coming in a day ealier wasn't a choice...so it isn't so risky to arrive at 3PM if Princess booked it! (hold that ship!)

Check all options!
Happy cruising!
Kris

[quote name='KKB']The only diet soda was diet Coke (ARGHHH>>>it seems ALL cruiselines are Cokeville!)
Happy cruising...
Diet Pepsi lover[/quote]

Thank you. It is what I was afraid of. Husband hates diet coke. Looks like we will be bringing on those little diet dring mixes and maybe a few cans. Why is it that they usually only provide diet cola??:confused:

Hey cruiseraider - how do you find out about the discount air? It seems you just have to luck out - whenever I call the cruiselines, they don't seem to know about any air sell offs. But, you're right, I've got $99 air (Seattle to Honolulu) with an RCCL Honolulu to Vancouver cruise and it sure made the vacation much more affordable. But, I've since looked and tried to find those air add on deals and it's a challenge and they are very limited. So, how do you find them?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='gtalum']A better idea is to take that money and put it into an online savinsg account, such as [URL="http://www.ingdirect.com"]ING Direct[/URL]. You'll earn 4.4% interest on that money until yoru cruise. Then pay your credit card bill with the money from that account when it comes in. :)[/quote]

I have a CD that is getting 5.6% with [URL="http://www.ingdirect.com/"]ING Direct[/URL] right now. It will mature about 3 weeks before my final payment is due. Then I'll slap down my final payment and I will have made $75 worth of interest I can use toward on board credit on the cruise.

Don't pay until you have to.... why give them money that you could be earning interest on!!!

[quote name='beaming90']I am very picky about water and at home, really only drink bottled water. But the water on the Carnival Fantasy that I drank with dinner each night tasted great! So I say bring a bottle and refill it. :D[/quote]
I am so picky about water myself (in fact so picky I only drink bottled water and only two specific brands of that:p ) and so I was beginning to get worried that I would have to pack a case as I usually only drink one cup of coffee all day and the rest of the day I usually only drink water so you just alleviated my fears THANKS!!:D

This isn't exactly "ON BOARD" but you can park in Ft. Lauderdale about 1 -2 miles from the port with free shuttle for $6/day with airportparkngo.com like we just did. I don't know the direct price with them, as I found this parking through a link someone gave me that had several companies on it. They are also known as qualitycarandvanrental.com. The only drawback was it was outside parking and the car got quite dirty just from being out in the elements and bird poop (not being picky, it really was quite dirty, esp. considering I had washed it before driving down). A fellow passenger also said they parked for $6 or $6.50 a day right beyond the cruise terminal parking area (unsure exactly where), but sure as heck beats $12/day.

Archived