? about packing with new carry on restrictions

sunlover5

I have a really nice carry on I always carry hair stuff, personal items, and medications. What is everyone doing, packing that stuff in their main luggage or putting the medication in a smaller bag and checking the carry on bag???? Any suggestions out there? Thanks!!

All of your liquids and gels that you plan on packing in your carry on must be 3 oz or less in size and you must put it in a 1 qt zip log bag to go through security. You are only allowed one bag and it must zip closed.

Everything else needs to go in your checked bag. Medications in solid form (pills) are okay and don't have to be in the bag.

I figure if it is easily and inexpensively replaceable, then it will go in my checked bag and I will take my chances that my bag will arrive with me and not get "lost". If it is vital and not easily replaced, then put it in that 1 qt zip lock bag and keep it with you.

What is everyone doing, packing that stuff in their main luggage or putting the medication in a smaller bag and checking the carry on bag?
I'm doing the same mix of checked and cabin baggage. But if there are liquids that I must take but which will not be allowed through security, they're now going into the checked baggage.

Obviously, if there are bottles of a type that will leak in checked baggage, they are just being left behind. Pop-top caps are the primary example of these - because of the pressure changes when flying, the air inside the bottle will expand and pop open the pop-top. But anything with a secure screw-on cap (with no pop-top) should be fine.

Make up like powders are fine in your carry on, as well as solids like chapstick, lipstick etc.. Lip Gloss needs to be 'bagged'.

I typically try to carry as little on as possible as far as liquids and gels makes life easier for all. :)

One thing you may want to do if you are planning on being in the sun as soon as you get on board is switch your sunblock from your main suitcase to your carry-on prior to boarding the ship!

I have a really nice carry on I always carry hair stuff, personal items, and medications. What is everyone doing, packing that stuff in their main luggage or putting the medication in a smaller bag and checking the carry on bag???? Any suggestions out there? Thanks!!

I usually do what you do,and since the new rules have changed my carry-on habits(which I really hate BTW) I am going to follow the 3oz rule of course and pack my usual bag with all my goodies in it,and the make-up bag too, in my checked baggage,and use the space in my carry-on for extra shoes or whatnot....:) It is getting to be such a hassle to fly now..not fun anymore.

I know it is not supposed to be this way, but someone who recently flew told me their $50 tube of lipstick was confiscated.

This would not surprise me in the least as there is no uniform list as to what you can take and not take no matter what the TSA list says...it all depends on the airport and the screeners themselves.If in ANY doubt do not take it in carry-on.Take anything cheap that you would not miss if taken or could live without.I have seen people take stuff on board that is on the banned list and have stuff taken that is not on the banned list so go figure.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The old saying applies.."when in doubt don't"

As I say, the only consistency with airport "security screening" (the air quotes are on purpose) is inconsistency.

If you must absolutely have some liquid product with you at your final destination and you can't get it in a 3-ounce or less container, either put it in your checked luggage or purchase it when you arrive at your destination.

If you must absolutely have some liquid product with you at your final destination and you can't get it in a 3-ounce or less container, either put it in your checked luggage or purchase it when you arrive at your destination.

For those traveling out of FLL, there are some drugstores between the airport and the port -- if you have to have "stuff" and can't/won't put it in your checked baggage. I personally always shop for mouthwash, contact saline, and other weighty items when I arrive in town before a cruise. Of course, I'm coming in a day or two ahead, so I have the time.

Archived