Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I've seen you in action. I don't believe that even a Ukranian would be foolish to incur your wrath.

And just look at the number of posts on "your thread", Saga Ruby!

Edited by Druke I

Somehow my previous post (1st sentence) doesn't quite read right.

I meant to say that you are a formidable sort, and that even a foolish Ukranian may well have met his match should he mix it up with you!

I think you probably get the drift!

Now up to 136 pages! Outstanding!

When Ruby is ashore in Ukraine, I'm sure that she will politely ask: "Где могу я получить бутылку местной воды?" (Where can I get a bottle of local water?)." If Ruby is indomitable, I can't imagine anyone causing any problem for her. She'll figure out a way.

Donald.

I meant to say that you are a formidable sort, and that even a foolish Ukranian may well have met his match should he mix it up with you! . . . Now up to 136 pages! Outstanding!

Thank you, Michael. I like to think that I am consistently cheerful - I wear 'em down. My motto is, "There's always a way." To me, "formidable" would be the late Queen Mother after Jimmy Carter kissed her on the lips. Her comment later, "No man has kissed me on the lips since His Majesty the King!" Harumph!

When Ruby is ashore in Ukraine, I'm sure that she will politely ask: "Где могу я получить бутылку местной воды?" (Where can I get a bottle of local water?)." If Ruby is indomitable, I can't imagine anyone causing any problem for her. She'll figure out a way. Donald.

Thank you for giving me that phrase, Donald. Wish I could read the Cyrillic alphabet - which is, of course, my entire point about the water bottle. But you have given me a good idea about learning a couple of Russian phrases. In my travels, I have consistently found that "nice" works. But we shall see if the Russian bear bites my head off.

NOT TO WORRY RUBY!!! The Navy Seals are now ready to handle any kidnapping issues!!! LOL!!!:D

And I do love a man in uniform.

Ruby

Ruby - the Crimean diorama is stunning and well worth the trip if you haven't seen it. It really brings to life the battlefiend when you go see it later. There was a small hut outisde exchanging currency into the local unpronounable version so you could buy souvenirs etc. Why not take a bottle of water with you, or did I miss something here. Fortunately, although having been told take US$ for the Black Sea, I also had £s. They would take both, but preferred sterling.

By the way.....This is Ukraine NOT Russia. They hate each other!!!!!

958409145_0361SevastopolDiorama.jpg.62c0712d84142552f76ba32988d78d05.jpg

Edited by ships cat

Ruby - the Crimean diorama is stunning and well worth the trip if you haven't seen it. It really brings to life the battlefiend when you go see it later. There was a small hut outisde exchanging currency into the local unpronounable version so you could buy souvenirs etc. Why not take a bottle of water with you, or did I miss something here. Fortunately, although having been told take US$ for the Black Sea, I also had £s. They would take both, but preferred sterling. By the way.....This is Ukraine NOT Russia. They hate each other!!!!!

You have given me wonderful news about the local forex exchange at the Diorama. If I could exchange USD or Euros for the unpronouncable currency, I would be able to buy a souvenir bottle of water! Huzzah! If you were to review the past multitudinous pages of our thread, you would find that I collect water bottles for my fridge, not water for my thirst.

To add to the confusion, I would mention to our readers that I never open the bottles of water so, in my fridge as we speak, I have Icelandic water, Omani water, Turkish water, and Norwegian water. Pop quiz later.

When were you in Ukraine? My current info is that we will not be allowed to use either USD or GBP for purchases of any kind. Using forex for local purchases seem to be The Big Bad or so I've been told. I would be delighted to use any currency in exchange for the now-famous bottle of water.

You are right - I should say "Ukraine" instead of "Russian" but I tend to speak of the language, not the country. Your point is well-taken and thanks for that.

Ruby

To add to the confusion, I would mention to our readers that I never open the bottles of water so, in my fridge as we speak, I have Icelandic water, Omani water, Turkish water, and Norwegian water.

Why do you store your collection of foreign bottles of water in the fridge, instead of on a shelf in the living room or den where others can view your collection?

Donald.

Sorry Ruby - I must have missed the water bottle collection. Last year on my Black Sea cruise - the one that called at Istanbul - we went to Odessa and Yalta, from where I travelled to Sevastopol and Balaklava. It was where I developed my interest in Ukarinian bus shelters LOL! Before we went everyone had advised us to take US$ as they are "accepted everywhere", but the locals were not at all keen. At the local market outside the cathedral in Odessa, they preferred Euros, then sterling and if pushed $s. Prices were usually quoted in Euros though. In Sevastopol they would only accept local currency which we were able to change in this wooden hut. I have no idea of the exchange rate now but I got enough to buy some postcards and a guide book of the Panorama. It really was worth the visit, even if we did lose a member of our tour there!! She turned up in the end thank goodness. Another interesting visit was to the secret submarine tunnels dug at Balaklava.

Photos here if you are interested.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/BlackSeaCruiseOnArtemis#

I should also say of course - that nearly everyone I met who was remotely interested in getting money off us tourists spoke pretty good English!

Edited by ships cat

Donald, I'm safely home from our Panama Canal adventure aboard Celebrity Mercury and I can understand why you love the ship so much. When I first sailed on her sister Galaxy, I thought these vessels were very large but now, in comparison to the megaships, she seems intimate. She is in fine condition, actually much better condition than Constellation which we sailed on last September. The crew was very friendly and accommodating. Raul took great care of us at the Martini Bar where we could be found most nights before dinner. Overall on that most subjective of opinions, I thought the food was good and for anyone who wants to see a baked Alaska parade be aware that it is alive and well onboard Mercury.

We also had a very international group of passengers on this trip. Most were American but lots of Canadians, Brits and Germans (announcements in English and German) and a large Asian contingent as well. I love having a varied group of passengers and enjoyed their company and perspectives on life.

The one thing which detracted from the experience was the tremendous amount of marketing aboard the ship. This is not unique to Celebrity by any means. It has become the standard in the industry. The line will give a break on the price of the stateroom but then recoup their losses by trying to sell everything from gold chains to acupuncture, so-called "art" and beauty products. I can only lament this and have no reason to believe it will go away.

By the way, the red alert has ended but the ship was constantly being disinfected. I couldn't walk 10 feet without having a member of the crew offer me hand sanitizer. I didn't hear about any problems so, Donald, it's safe to get back on board. The infamous blue pads were gone but suddenly reappeared on the last day.

It will be a sad day when Celebrity withdraws this ship from their fleet.

Hi, Conte!

Thank you very much for your report on Mercury. I'm very pleased to hear that, overall, you enjoyed yourself aboard her, and also that Raul took great care of you in Martini Bar. The international mixture of passengers sounded interesting!

As for the constant marketing on board ships, I simply tune them out. I can't figure out why passengers buy these gold chains, but apparently there is a huge market for these. On one of my cruises on Mercury not too long ago, wristwatches were actually being sold in the buffet area!

I'm glad that you now understand why I love Mercury so much. It indeed will be a sad day when sheis no longer with Celebrity.

Donald.

Why do you store your collection of foreign bottles of water in the fridge, instead of on a shelf in the living room or den where others can view your collection? Donald.

There is something about opening a fridge door and seeing those 5 water bottles with exotic names and alphabets lined up like little souvenir soldiers in the blinding white of the top shelf that makes me smile.

I was trying to remember when (or why) I started the water bottle collection. If memory serves, I came home from Hong Kong with a half-pint of water so I threw it in the fridge while I dealt with all those other "tons o’ fun" coming-home duties such as mail, laundry, and time zones. As I opened and closed the fridge, the water bottle gave me a smile by reminding me of the devoon trip I had just had.

Back in the day, I became off-put by the warm, minimal servings of water onboard airplanes so I started a personal tradition of buying a water bottle in the outbound airport and enjoying it on my flights. The water quality of airplanes certainly hasn’t improved over the decades and so my personal tradition continued. But, since the fluid restrictions onboard airplanes have changed negatively, I now pack my exotic water bottle and buy one for use onboard the plane. Oy vey!

If I can purchase a Cyrillic bottle in Sevastopol, it will bump out the "Font Vella" bottle from Barcelona from this sui generis collection. I am hopeful to hear ships cat’s information of exchanging currency at the tiny gift shop at the Diorama so perhaps this challenge won’t be as difficult as I originally thought. Fingers crossed.

Fran, are you back home from swanning around Savannah? Your trip sounded like a lovely, lively one whilst having a bit of weather whiplash. Do tell.

Ruby

Just reporting in on another cruise booked .....albeit to replace a previous one though. So - out goes Iceland, The Orkneys, Shetland and Norway this August and instead I have 20 lovely nights to look forward to on Artemis travelling the length of the Med from Southampton to Istanbul and back in April/May next year. I will have another look out for your lighthosue Ruby :)

Fran, are you back home from swanning around Savannah? Your trip sounded like a lovely, lively one whilst having a bit of weather whiplash. Do tell.

No, I haven't been to Birmingham nor Savannah yet. I am still trying to choose which clothes I will pack. I almost never go away for only a week so my problem is what do I need so that I am appropriately dressed for the wedding and all of the the other Savannah events.

I will be leaving on the 12 of May.

I was trying to remember when (or why) I started the water bottle collection. If memory serves, I came home from Hong Kong with a half-pint of water so I threw it in the fridge while I dealt with all those other "tons o’ fun" coming-home duties such as mail, laundry, and time zones.

I have a coca-cola collection which started when I was returning form Italy and would have a long wait so my friend packed me a lunch with two very large cans of Coke. They are equal to one and a half American cans. One I brought home and that was the beginning of a collection from all over the world many brought as gifts.

Fran

Edited by franu

Interesting about the water bottle and coca-cola collections! A couple of years ago when a friend and I were cruising, two women came over and asked if they could have our empty Grolsch beer bottles after we finished drinking. They collect beer bottles from around the world, though not with beer still inside.

I'm off to San Diego tomorrow morning (Thursday). I'll catch up with all the news here after my return on Friday, May 8.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

Donald,

Have a super cruise. The terminal in San Diego was very good, easy on and easy off. But you will be going home to Vancouver. That is much better than having to fly which lessens your relaxation on the cruise.

Bon Voyage.

Fran

Hadn't thought about Coke cans - but the old wasp-waisted CocaCola bottles are a collector's item.

I do recall as a lad checking to see where the bottle was from. Back in the day, there was a wide variety of locations bottling the product.

I have quite a collection of cans and bottles some of which are full. I also have some miniatures which are replicas of ones from a variety of countries but were gotten in Ecuador by a friend.

To supplement I have a variety of magnets portraying various advertising and dispensing products. While on a visit to the "mother church" in Atlanta, I bought Coke tea towels.

What shame that I do not drink it any more.

Fran

Donald is on his 14-day cruise from Vancouver to Mexico and back. One wonders what, if any, itinerary changes they will make with the current status of swine flu in Mexico.

Anybody heard any news about Ryndam currently?

Ruby

According to USA Today

"The ship is skipping four Mexican ports on its current 10-day roundtrip "Sea of Cortez" sailing out of San Diego (which was also available as an extended 14-day sailing that ended in Vancouver). The Ryndam's new itinerary will take it back to San Diego on May 1 (it already was scheduled to stop in the city on May 4) and Long Beach, Calif., on May 2. Remaining the same: Stops in Catalina Island (May 3) and Victoria, B.C. (May 7) before the voyage ends May 8 in Vancouver."

GPS data available on the internet shows that the ship did make it into the Sea of Cortez and seems to have called at Puerto Vallarta.

Poor Donald. First Norovirus and now this. He's definitely have a streak of bad luck cruising this spring. We need to pay attention to where Donald is going and avoid those areas.

According to USA Today

Poor Donald. First Norovirus and now this. He's definitely have a streak of bad luck cruising this spring. We need to pay attention to where Donald is going and avoid those areas.[/quote]

Thanks for the laugh. I had been wondering how he was going to be affected on his latest cruise.

From what I have learned about Donald, I expect that he will take it with good humour. I believe that he is happiest at sea.

Gee, I hope that I read this correctly,

Fran

I have read some postings on these boards that some cruisers are planning to take Tamiflu with them.

Ruby, are you planning to do so on your trip to Rome and the Eastern Provinces? It is getting closer.

Personally I believe that most or all planes carry worse organisms and I will not change my ways. I will only deal with the here and now.

Fran

I have read some postings on these boards that some cruisers are planning to take Tamiflu with them.

Ruby, are you planning to do so on your trip to Rome and the Eastern Provinces? It is getting closer.

Personally I believe that most or all planes carry worse organisms and I will not change my ways. I will only deal with the here and now.

Fran

I suspect the current flu risk will shift to the Southern Hemisphere, once summer arrives in the Northern Hemisphere.