Advice Needed

bluvalley

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get much needed advice. My partner and I are thinking of going on a cruise in November and we are torn between 3 Cruise lines/Itineraries. We are both in our early 40's and have sailed a couple of times before on Celebrity (loved it) and HAL (did not love it). We are both very interested in a relaxing trip, no hassle, great food, kind, happy service, and not too many kids. Our lives are very hectic and we live in NY city so we are not keen on crowds, heavy drinkers, and a party atmosphere (at least while on vacation).

I've narrowed it down to Celebrity Century to Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Radiance to Eastern Caribbean, and Diamond Princess to Mexico.

Or if anyone has any other ideas. . .

I had made up my made to try Princess but I'm leary of the dining options and the rooms are not very nice-looking, although the ship itself looks lovely. I know the Century seems like the best bet but the ship is kind of aging, and last but not least the Radiance, I love the look of this ship, the rooms, etc., but is the food OK? and is the crowd a little roudy (We hate it when teenagers dress like hookers in the dining room for dinner) Am I being too harsh?

Anyway, whatever advice would be really appreciated. Everyone here seems very well informed, much more so than we are.

Thanks in advance.

bluvalley.

Without a doubt Princess on the Diamond Princess..they have very nice dinning rooms actually 4 now + two alternative ones as well as Sabatini's and Sterling Steak house....we have sailed 7 times on Princess and just love the way we are welcomed and received!:cool: :eek: :cool:

bluvalley,

You may want to take a look at Seabourn. Great food, great service all-inclusive, all suites. They are having some great specials in November.

Generally no children on board. Open seating restaurant.

Hope this helps your search.:o:o:o

I had made up my made to try Princess but I'm leary of the dining options and the rooms are not very nice-looking, although the ship itself looks lovely.
I'd suggest considering the Star Princess. It will alternate between eastern and western Carribean itineraries in November. Our last four cruises have been on Princess. Before that, we did a Celebrity cruise and several on Royal Carribean, Norwegian, and Carnival. The food on Princess isn't as good as Celebrity's to me. The entertainment is better--with many options of things to do. I like that the pools/hot tubs are always open.

This line is extremely nice, however they are on the quiet side. The smallest cabins are as large as suites on other ships. Open sitting for dinner, wine included. Service is top notch and the food is wonderful. No surcharge for the specialty restaurants. Tips are included. Some of there late fall sailings are reduced in cost...once you consider what you get for the money..they are a great value.......I found them to be gay friendly. The jumbo shrimp is fab!

I'd vote for Century if the idea of traditional cruising appeals to you. If you enjoyed Celebrity in the past, you will find that some things have gotten better and others have slipped but in general it still rises above the other mass market lines in many respects.

As long as you sail when school is in session, there should not be many children on board.

Regarding the suggestions that you consider other cruiselines, well Seabourn and Raddison and even Oceana are nice--but they are much more expensive than Celebrity. Oceana is probably the least expensive of the 3, but still about 50% more than Celebrity.

For the price, I don't think that Celebrity can be beat. My partner and I have been on 5 Celebrity cruises, and until we can afford one of the luxury lines, I wouldn't consider going on another mass market line (unless it was free!).:)

I have to agree with the sentiment about Celebrity. We have experienced the outstanding quality of service that Celebrity offers. As self proclaimed "travel addicts" my partner and I loved the friendly service. I am so happy to hear that we are not alone in concerns about travelling with little ones. We love the kids we have in our life but after some rather nasty experiences we also like the idea of getting away. Don't get me started about a 10 hour flight from hell with about a dozen very unhappy kids under 3.

The Century. Older ship, but from all reports, she holds up extremely well and has an extremely loyal following. And Celebrity is the most upmarket of the 3 you mention.

Radiance is a beautiful ship, and will offer a bit more entertainment/nightlife options. And unless it is Thanksgiving week, I would not worry too much about kids in November. But the food will not be as good as Celebrity.

I know people rave about Princess, but as you can see from my signature, I experienced a large variety of ships and cruise lines in a very short period of time over the past two years, and Diamond Princess comes in close to the bottom. Surly staff, bland food, uninspiring decor, terrible traffic flow. Whatever Princess may have been in year's past, sorry, but I just don't see it now.

We all have our opinions, and everything is subjective... but of the three, I think Celebrity is your safest bet.

Hello,

I've narrowed it down to Celebrity Century to Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Radiance to Eastern Caribbean, and Diamond Princess to Mexico.

Anyway, whatever advice would be really appreciated. Everyone here seems very well informed, much more so than we are.

Thanks in advance.

bluvalley.

bluvalley,

Based on the preferences you mentioned, I would recommend the CENTURY. You have already stated you like Celebrity Cruises (I do too), and while CENTURY is a bit older, she is truly one of the best ships in the Celebrity fleet. My partner and I sailed on her a few years ago and fell in love with her. She offers what I consider the most stunning dining room afloat (even better than QM2 IMO).

I have also sailed on RADIANCE OF THE SEAS and GOLDEN PRINCESS (very similar to DIAMOND) and while both were quite nice (especially RADIANCE), they just don't compare to Celebrity. Princess and Royal Caribbean are going to offer a much more casual cruise experience (probably a lot more kids as well). Celebrity (as you already know) is more about tradition, a bit more structured, more formal, and far fewer children.

I would not let the age of CENTURY deter you. Celebrity has a reputation of keeping their ships in top notch condition, and CENTURY is no exception.

Good luck with your decision, and please let us know what you decide.

Best,

Ernie

Obviously I’m a Princess devotee, and as such, I have to say that I don’t think the line as bad as it’s portrayed here. I wouldn’t be a devotee if I didn’t enjoy the experience. Unlike RCI, Princess limits the number of kids on board, so while there may be some, you won’t find a high percentage – of course cruising during summer months or school vacations will increase the number of kids on board. From what I hear, the Princess experience is pretty close to RCI, however the Princess experience is a little more understated…some call that boring.

I think of the three, based on what you’re looking for, Princess or Celebrity would be best. Since you’ve tried Celebrity, you might give Princess a shot just for kicks and giggles. Diamond Princess has gotten a number of positive reviews.

Archived