Best Month to view Whales in Alaska?

Elisa

Hi to all,

Can anyone tell me the best month to do whale watching excursions in Alaska and what ports they offer it in?

I just want to be sure we see as many whales as possible. Thank you very much, Elisa

We just returned and I saw probably 15 humpbacks from the ship. We also saw a pod of 4 orcas swimming beside each other and 1 huge orca. Some folks I knew went whalewatching in Juneau and saw humpbacks bubble feeding. They actually looked down the mouths of two whales that were lunge-feeding. Apparently the whales have established feeding grounds that the whale-watching boats are adept at finding. A naturalist on our cruise ship (Mercury) kept in touch with them and would alert our ship if whales were nearby and everyone would run to the decks. We even saw one breaching (lunging completely out of the water) near the cruisehip.

I saw plenty at the end of last August. Did a whale watch excursion in Juneau which was fantastic. Saw whales bubble net feed. We watched them for a good hour. We also saw a lot of whales in the Glacier Bay region. First we watched one whale playing around in Glacier Bay, not far from Gustavus. Then when we were in Icy Straits we saw a lot whales. The captain actually took the ship off course so we could follow the whales. We also saw seals swimming in formation, as though they were migrating. That was something I'd never seen.

Humpbacks are in Alaska the cruising season. But tours are necessary for close and extended viewing. It is rare to see much from the cruise ships. Binoculars are necessary. For orcas- take a tour out of Victoria BC or Friday harbor Wa. Last season was a good review for a tour out of Vancouver.

Is it better to book whale watching trips through the cruiseline or on shore through different companies? We are going the week of Aug 14 on the Coral Princess. We are also wondering this with regard to other shore excursions as well. Any advise? Oh, and should I take sea sickness medication if I am prone to sea sickness for the whale watching? Probably, I'd imagine.....:confused:

I greatly prefer the smaller whale watching boats with Orca Enterprises my #1 pick. But you do need reservations booked ahead. AND ABSOLUTELY- if you are prone to seasickness you should be on PRECAUTIONS your entire trip. Time is too short to miss even a minute. Consult your MD for the best options for you- Bonine is an excellent over the counter product to consider.

Archived