Just off Navigator Caribbean Cruise Review

sailorgirl

Just a few comments to help others who are trying to make a good decision for their cruise. First of all, the food was very good and the service was excellent. Wine and other drinks were poured freely and quickly. One's wine glass was never allowed to get empty. Staff attitude was excellent and the Captain was very visible and friendly. Our stateroom was Deck 9 stern, category F, and we did indeed feel a lot of vibration at times. Repeat - at times. Not always. However, it wasn't a problem....just a bit of a startle since we'd not experienced that on other ships. The bedding was so comfortable that we slept like babies. Two of the eleven nights had rough seas and there was a bit of banging around. The verandahs were smaller than I had anticipated with only two sitting chairs, not lounge chairs, and a table. The stateroom itself was spacious, well equipped and very clean. The guests on board were a very refined group. By that I mean most were sophisticated, pleasant and well mannered. Not snobbish. Of course most were over 60 but we had a smattering of younger people and even two little girl toddlers. The entertainment and enrichment lectures were good but not great. There was never a line (except for the poolside lobster buffet!) and never a feeling of being crowded. I have to recommend a certain excursion in St. Maarten. We crewed on the America's Cup winner Stars and Stripes for a race against a Canadian Cup boat. We won and it was so exciting and fun! There were people on the boat from age 25 to probably 75! Weather was glorious but that was an extra blessing we can't attribute to the cruise line. I can't help but wonder if my "take" was similar to others.

It is so good to hear reviews. We'll be on the Navigator at the end of March so we are very interested in hearing reviews of this ship. I'm not concerned about the vibration as we had vibration on the Voyager. I didn't mind it at all -- my husband noticed it but didn't think it was a big deal. It's interesting that both ships have a vibration but the Mariner does not. Both the Mariner and Voyager have "pods" (that seems to be troublesome) while the Navigator does not! Wonder what causes the vibration?

Anyway, keep those reviews coming...... thanks!:D

May I join Travelcat2 in saying how much reviews like yours are appreciated. The franker the better. I have nothing planned for Navigator but am on Mariner again in April. Now that Regent do not provide a "bar set-up" in the suites, do you rely on room service to bring you alcoholic drinks (if you require one before dinner, fo example) or can you ask for, say, a bottle of vodka to pour your own?

In my earlier mini review, I wrote there were people on the boat between 25 and 75. I was referring to Stars and Stripes sailing boat. The cruise ship had a range from 3 to probably 93!

Our 'frig was stocked with sodas and beers. I heard it said you could ask for a bottle of liquor for the room and it would be provided but I cannot confirm that. The Navigator bar was such an easy run for me that I sometimes went down there at cocktail hour, ordered something and carried it to my room. But room service could do the same thing. Room service, by the way, was presented very nicely with table cloth, napkins and such. We used it for breakfast on occasion. The food was right on time and hot.

Toward the end of the cruise we discovered Galileo was a nice place to have cocktails before dinner. Their very nice afternoon tea is served up there a little earlier.

At two ports our starboard side was right up against another huge cruise ship at the dock taking away our view and privacy and quiet for the entire day. Darn, the Caribbean is getting too crowded!

I wish Regent would give more sea days. Eleven day cruise and only two sea days. The ports all become a blur......

It is so good to hear reviews. We'll be on the Navigator at the end of March so we are very interested in hearing reviews of this ship. I'm not concerned about the vibration as we had vibration on the Voyager.
I have been on both Voyager and Navigator. The problem on the Navigator is much more than vibration. It's like hitting a whale 2x the size of the ship and going over it. What makes it worse is it's sporatic so you may not feel it for 5 minutes, then feel it at 1 minute intervals, and then it goes for 10 minutes.

. The problem on the Navigator is much more than vibration. It's like hitting a whale 2x the size of the ship and going over it.

Hmmmm, I guess that might be what I was referring to when I said we were "banging" around two different nights. That was more than a vibration!

While we really like Regent and all of its ships, I think it is rather sad that the only ship in the Regent fleet on which we have encountered NO real vibration anywhere ever is the Mariner. We have encountered vibration of varying degrees on all of the other three Regent ships.

A few months ago, we cruised Silversea's Silver Cloud. After just a few hours of cruising, I noticed something missing, but couldn't immediately put my finger on it. Then it came to me. There was no vibration!

The Regent ships and total experience are excellent in all respects to our experience except on -- and that is the vibration on three of Regent's ships.

Thanks,

Richard

Sailorgirl, thanks for your honest review. My husband and I are sailing next week on the Navigator, Cat f aft. Needless to say I am not happy with the report of vibration. At least I am forewarned. I will post when we return.

Sailorgirl, thanks for your honest review. My husband and I are sailing next week on the Navigator, Cat f aft. Needless to say I am not happy with the report of vibration. At least I am forewarned. I will post when we return.

We have been on the Navigator twice, and did not have any vibration...maybe it is the location.....we have been in the bow. we are going to leave for the Navigator, on Feb 7th.. Is that the cruise that you will be on?? The service & the food are of pretty darn good quality..

To clarify the vibration matter, we have always tried to book the odd numbered suites on deck six (balcony), which are forward. In those suites, there has been no vibration.

Ah, but when we went to the show lounge (which is right above the propulsion screws) the vibration was so bad it actually was a "roar." We could scarcely hear the lecturers/entertainers.

In the main dining room, there was a different type of vibration. More of a "thump, thump, thump." This was not particularly disturbing to us, but it was there.

So it is very possible to avoid vibration IN YOUR SUITE on the Navigator bysimply booking the right suite. But it is impossible to avoid vibration on other parts of this ship.

Thanks,

Richard

We have been on the Navigator twice, and did not have any vibration...maybe it is the location.....we have been in the bow. we are going to leave for the Navigator, on Feb 7th.. Is that the cruise that you will be on?? The service & the food are of pretty darn good quality..

Yes, we are on that sailing. I just can't understand why a cruise line would have this problem. I sailed on the Seabourn Sun a few years ago. While we were sailing the ship had a broken propeller. The vibration was terrible. After the cruise Seabourn sent us a $1,000 credit for a future sailing. Sure hope the vibration problem isn't that servere. Just getting away to warm weather will be great.

Protindo,

Why don't you contact your T/A and see if they can offer you something else? The majority of the cabins in Navigator are midship or towards the front. There is no point risking an annoying vibration in your cabin while you are trying to sleep if it can be solved before hand.

Thanks for the great information. We are looking forward to this cruise next week. I have a question about the power outlets. I noticed in the docs that there are three 110V outlets and two 220v outlets in each cabin. Are the 220v outlets a different type of plug? I am assuming they are the round double prongs tat are common in Europe. Do you recall?

Thanks,

Alan

Archived