Passport Question

taxmantoo

We are both Canadian citizens travelling on the Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean voyage (i.e. St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Princess Cays). There are a number of threads discussing the issue of whether or not the cruise ship retains your passport when you disembark for shore excursions. The advice on those threads is as different and varied as the one given the "jeans" issue.

My question is specific to the Caribbean Princess and the islands we will visit. Does the ship retain your passport or are you allowed to take it with you?

In all ports except Margarita I carried a photocopy of mine and my husband's passport. He carried both as well. Isla Margarita is the only port I took my actual passport...just seemed safer to have the real deal if I was in need of having to prove myself to the authorities.

The 3 ports you mentioned, I would be comfortable with copies...however...we had issues with the tender returning to ship from Princess Cays. I'm not sure how that would have worked if we were unable to return to the ship and we were stuck in the Bahamas!!

Princess encourages you to "Please ensure that you also have a government issued picture ID with you before leaving the ship", this in addition to your ship cruise card. Lots did...lots didn't.

In all ports except Margarita I carried a photocopy of mine and my husband's passport. He carried both as well. Isla Margarita is the only port I took my actual passport...just seemed safer to have the real deal if I was in need of having to prove myself to the authorities.

The 3 ports you mentioned, I would be comfortable with copies...however...we had issues with the tender returning to ship from Princess Cays. I'm not sure how that would have worked if we were unable to return to the ship and we were stuck in the Bahamas!!

Princess encourages you to "Please ensure that you also have a government issued picture ID with you before leaving the ship", this in addition to your ship cruise card. Lots did...lots didn't.

You do realize that carrying a copy of your passport with you will not allow you to fly back thru the U.S. I hope?

All this will do is to assist you in getting a replacement passport. But the photo copy of it is not any good for identification should you get left behind.

There are some ports and itineraries where Princess (and other cruiselines) must keep your passport. This is because it's required by the country you are visiting. However, that's not the case on the CB itineraries. They will not be keeping your passport.

I was just on the Caribbean this past December and the only place we had to show our passport was St. Thomas to get off the ship. I carried it with me in St. Maarten and Princess Cays but we weren't asked to show it to get off.

Toto2Kansas-Sorry for the confusion. I have my original passport with me. I wouldn't be able to fly thru the US and get to the ship without it. I didn't always carry the original with me in all ports of call.

Our Celebrity cruises, they held our passports (Sun Princess did not) and told us to carry copies ashore, so I was like the original poster...not quite sure what we should be doing. I did a little of both.

Archived