Sun Princess LIVE!

lake5298

Currently docked in Antigua, the weather has improved and the sun is shining down. The decks were empty this morning, I think everyone was either on excursions or having a lie-in.

Sun was late into Fort Lauderdale from her previous cruise, but a quick turn-around meant that we left on time. The seas were a little bumpy that evening, and the first sea day was cloudy, but now we are further south things have improved. There's no signs of any "noro", but there are hand sanitisers everywhere, in the Library, in the Internet Cafe, all over.

Shows so far... "Piano Man", a song & dance show, was well presented, but we have seen it before. Two excellent comedians so far... it can be difficult for a British passenger to understand some "in-jokes" directed at an American audience, but both comedians have avoided falling into this trap.

The food on board is better than I remember from my last cruise on Sun in Dec 03.

Best dish so far.... mussels in ginger & teriyaki sauce, at lunch yesterday.

Worst dish so far.... seafood turnover (just pastry, almost empty except for 2 shrimps) first night at sea.

Questions of the day....

1) Is it true that Sun Princess is to transfer permanently to P&O Australia?

2) Why are the corridor carpets the same on both sides of the ship?

3) (tongue firmly in cheek) Why are there towels on every sun-lounger, when there are only 9 German passengers on board?

I'll only attempt to answer your 1st question.

Sun Princess is going to P&O (Aus) for a 6 month deployment, then will return to Princess. She is taking the place of Pacific Princess, which previously was shared between the two fleets, but is now full time with Princess.

Please continue to post...we are going through severe cruise withdrawl here after 20 nights on the Sun. The 8" of new snow we're getting tonight, as well as below 0F temps don't help. What I wouldn't give to be back on that ship right now!

Funny you mentioned the food improving since Dec 03...we were on the Sun then also (our first Princess cruises), and I thought the food was pretty bad. In fact, it was only the itineraries that got me back to Princess, and I'm glad I gave the cruise line another try. We thought the food this time around on the Sun was much improved (in the dining room)...Thomas Ulrich, the head chef, just moved over from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean last July (we think...we recognized the name). Glad you were able to leave on time...we wondered about that. Who is the new cruise director? And doesn't Gabriel Alonzo (the lead male singer in the production shows) have a great voice?

Have a great cruise.

Pescado,

Thank you, on behalf of Gabriel, for the nice comment.

If you remember, I had asked you to review the new cast.

PGT Entertainment has taken over the production shows on the Sun (with a few brand new shows and a few of the old favorites)

Gabriel is my roommate when he is on land.

I have passed your comment on to him.

Bill B.

BB-Perhaps you can pass on to Gabriel for us that, during the first couple of minutes of that first production show (the last show 2 cruises ago) both my husband and I looked at each other and said WOW! He is a wonderful performer...we sometimes attended a production show twice last cruise just to hear him. In fact, I saw him once in the buffet late one night, and wanted to say something, but held back...I never know if performers want positive feedback or just want to be left alone. But, now you can tell him for me!

Hi There,

Keep up the good work,

The carpet thing is realy just not on, I am used to blue one side red the other, took me days to work out my right from my left, this is the only ship in the fleet that has the same colour carpets , unless someone knowsdifferent.

yours Shogun

46 weeks and counting until next cruise.

The Sun previously had the different color carpets - perhaps something happened and the only carpet on hand was the opposite color? Are all the stateroom decks like this?

Ulrich has not recently come from Celebrity or RCCL. He was chef on our two Sun P. cruises in Dec 04 and Feb 05. I personally don't care for him/his style. Does he still a german/bavarian buffet in the Horizon Court one evening?

BTW, please keep posting...we only have to get through the rest of this month before it's our turn and we're living vicariously through you.

Hi,

Just a query about a walking track on the Sun Princess. I prefer the fresh air early in the morning, rather than a treadmill. Has anyone seen or used it yet?

Also, what are the approximate measurements of the balconies on Deck 9?

DH and I are booked on the Sydney to NZ cruise later this year and are looking forward to it.

Thanks and have a nice day. :)

Kinkacruiser

Ulrich has not recently come from Celebrity or RCCL. He was chef on our two Sun P. cruises in Dec 04 and Feb 05. I personally don't care for him/his style. Does he still a german/bavarian buffet in the Horizon Court one evening?

Hmmm...his bio says he just came to Princess in July 2006...I need to go back through all our old Celebrity/RC daily newspapers to see where we have come across him before. And no, no bavarian buffet, just a Mexican buffet (forgetable) and the Italian buffet (good desserts).

I have always walked on the Promenade deck on the Sun Princess. It is covered all the way around so you can walk even if it is raining a bit. It is teak and 1 lap = 1/3 mile. They ask that you walk in one direction - counterclockwise. Runners also use that space. They are asked to wait until a certain time before running in order to not disturb passengers who have rooms directly below.

The Sun has a lovely promenade deck with teak loungers on it, as well as teak benches which hold spare life jackets.

It rarely is crowded.

Roberta

Hi There,

Sun does not have a walking track like the rubber ones on the Grand Class ships, it has a good old walking deck which goes all the way around the ship, it is a great place to take a stroll, you do not get the jogging bunch like you get on the grand class ships,

yours Shogun

Questions of the day....

1) Is it true that Sun Princess is to transfer permanently to P&O Australia?

Sun Princess will be operating out of Sydney between Nov 07 and March 08. We will be on one of those cruises. It will also return late October 08 till March 09.

Not sure if answered earlier, but it is the Regal Princess that is transferring. In late October 07, it will be refitted as P&O's Pacific Dawn, and operate as the permanent cruise ship from Sydney. As mentioned earlier the Sun Princess will be doing the summer season as a replacement for the Pacific Princess.

Thankyou Roberta. A covered deck will be a plus, but is there also an uncovered track higher up ..the brouchures talk about one,but I can't see it on the deck plans.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

I don't recall a track anywhere else on the Sun Class ships...they exist on the Grand Class, tho. Joggers use the Promenade Deck on the Sun Class.

Hi Arxcards,

That was interesting about the 'camouflaged' Regal Princess. The Dawn is very much a showpiece for P&O and there's a lot of hype about it. Downunder doesn't see many "premier" cruisliners . This is one of the reasons we are also sailing on the Sun (Feb 24 '08 to NZ). You will have a terrific time in the islands, as we did that one last year on the 'old' Pacific Star.Have you had any luck on the roll calls yet?

Hey, I love that Superman squirrel.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

Cheers

Hi Arxcards,

That was interesting about the 'camouflaged' Regal Princess. The Dawn is very much a showpiece for P&O and there's a lot of hype about it. Downunder doesn't see many "premier" cruisliners . This is one of the reasons we are also sailing on the Sun (Feb 24 '08 to NZ). You will have a terrific time in the islands, as we did that one last year on the 'old' Pacific Star.Have you had any luck on the roll calls yet?

Hey, I love that Superman squirrel.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

Cheers

The dawn will still be the best thing to permanently cruise from Australia. It is still a big step up for P&O and deserves the fanfare. Over the summer period, there are nicer boats in Aussie waters. Would nice to be part of one of the 2 Queens in Sydney on Sept 20th!

We are only recent additions to the roll call. Kevin was there since Oct? There are now two families waiting for more company on that thread.

Found the squirrel by accident, and I love him too. Had to find something special. Seems Kevin has a huge arsenal of incredible ( and badly behaved) furry animals to call on. Have a browse at the roll call to see what I mean!!

Archived