Ft. Lauderdale Hotel

Len3

The Riverside Hotel in a tower room. Right on Las Olas with many restaurants and lots of shopping right outside the door.

This is my favorite as well but I would not classify as "top" hotel as it is more of a boutique property.

The Atlantic is beautiful as is the new Hilton on the beach (very $$$) that opens this month. I also really like the Pelican Beach Resort.

We're looking for a top hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise. Any thoughts of suggestions. Good or bad would be helpful.

Fodor's, with their ratings and guest reviews, is a good place to start:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=ft_lauderdale@64&cur_section=lod&sort=name&review=brief&pg=1

Lago Mar as well as Marriott Beach Resort enjoy high ratings with both Fodor's and guests. They're also close to Port Everglades.

you would need to have a car, but we had a very good experience in October at the Renaissance Plantation. Excellent service, nice pool area, kind of off by itself. so you would definitely need a car to get to restaurants and such. Only about a 20 min drive from the port.

the trip prior to that we stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66, which was undergoing some renovations at the time. The advantage there is a view of the port if you get the right tower rooms, but I'd bet the rack rate at the Hyatt is twice that of the Renaissance Plantation and I certainly don't feel it is twicwe as good a hotel or experience. Also there is the renaissance on 17th st but we actually preferred being away from all that 17th st congestion given that we had a car available.

Rate at the Renaissance Plantation in Oct was $142 a nite

Len 3:

We stayed two nights pre-cruise in December at the Lago Mar, and highly recommend it. It's popular with families when school's out, so that might be something to take into consideration if you're looking for quiet ambience or romance (although nobody was rowdy; there's just a lot of kids, fine by us). It's right on the beach, and you can watch the cruise ships leaving port less than 1/2 mile away.

Karin

We stayed at the WESTIN DIPLOMAT. It's an oceanfront property in Hollywood with a pretty nice beach and a great 2 level pool (the upper level pool looks down onto the lower level pool thru an underwater porthole) The hotel isnt cheap..is not near the cruiseport (although I didnt think it was very far at all..and we considered not being near the cruiseport a plus) and isnt within walking distance of any chain restaurants. But the SPECTACULAR architecture More than makes up for it. We had a basic room, but it still had a jacuzzi tub with sliding doors next to the tub that opened into the room...a separate shower stall...a sitting area with a sofa and an ocean view from the 21st floor. It was a great way to start our vacation.

Ditto on Lago Mar, we are staying there March 16th, 2 nights pre Westerdam.

This will be our 3rd time there, expensive, but worth it. There are 4 of us we have an executive suite w/ additional bedroom. The grounds are beautiful 2 pools, even a minature gold course. Great outside bar, inside bar, outside restaurant, coffee shop, shops w/ Brighton, Lilly Pullitzer etc. Everything is top notch we can walk down to rocks and watch cruise ships pull out of the channel.

Ditto on Lago Mar, we are staying there March 16th, 2 nights pre Westerdam.

This will be our 3rd time there, expensive, but worth it. There are 4 of us we have an executive suite w/ additional bedroom. The grounds are beautiful 2 pools, even a minature gold course. Great outside bar, inside bar, outside restaurant, coffee shop, shops w/ Brighton, Lilly Pullitzer etc. Everything is top notch we can walk down to rocks and watch cruise ships pull out of the channel.

I believe Marriott Harbor Beach is top hotel in FLL. Supposedly, Mr. Marriott often stays there. I have seen rates as high as $600 per night for this hotel (no meals) plus taxes which are high and include an additional resort fee. We always used to stay at the Marriott Marina which has changed names and owner. We usually got this hotel or Renaissance on Priceline for about $70 per night.

We're looking for a top hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise. Any thoughts of suggestions. Good or bad would be helpful.

Hyatt Pier 66. The top floor is a lounge with a revolving 360 view of the area. And they usually have wonderful entertainment.

DH and I have very limited experience,with regard to Ft.Lauderdale hotels,however,for what it is worth,prior to our 22nd January sailing on the Volendam ,we booked one night at Renaissance Plantation.This hotel was not for us.

Coffee shop only,no other dining, a small bar area ,which mainly overlooked a highway overpass,granted there was a pool area available,which we did not use.

We have enjoyed both pre and post cruise stays at Hyatt Pier 66,for amenities other posters have mentioned.Would not hesitate to stay at Pier 66 again.

Mary.

We are booked at the Hyatt Pier 66 next weekend- pre-cruise, I'll let you know how it goes.

We also considered the Best Western Oceanside as a close to beach at still under $300 option.

Tripadvisor.com is great for helping sort these things out.

Unfortunately the rooftop rotating lounge is for private catered parties only. No longer open to the public. Still a lovely place to stay!

Hyatt Pier 66. The top floor is a lounge with a revolving 360 view of the area. And they usually have wonderful entertainment.

I got flamed royally by a poster on this board for saying this, but here goes:

You'll find overall that hotels are less expensive in Plantation, FL than in Ft. Lauderdale. Some of the hotels in Plantation have shuttles to and from the airport and cruise terminal. I stayed at the Hampton Inn. It was clean, the staff was friendly, and I was within walking distance of several restaurants.

I have no burning desire to be on the beach or see the ship docked if it's going to cost me $100 more per night. :D

Roz

I got flamed royally by a poster on this board for saying this, but here goes:

You'll find overall that hotels are less expensive in Plantation, FL than in Ft. Lauderdale. Some of the hotels in Plantation have shuttles to and from the airport and cruise terminal. I stayed at the Hampton Inn. It was clean, the staff was friendly, and I was within walking distance of several restaurants.

I have no burning desire to be on the beach or see the ship docked if it's going to cost me $100 more per night. :D

Roz

Are you crazy? Just kidding. Why would anyone flame you for this?

I agree about beach. Most hotels along the beach in FLL are not well taken care of. But is is a real spectacle to watch 10 cruise ships leaving Port Everglades one at a time. We usually stayed at the Marriott Marina (changed names) and have done this several times. Last year, the last ship out was the QM2, all lit up. Got some great photos.

• 4 years later...
If you are looking for a TOP hotel, I recommend The Atlantic. It is a Starwood property and very nice. We are staying there (for the second time) pre-cruise in April. Located on the beach.

BaltimoreCruise

Have to agree. We've stayed in the other hotels mentioned and for us, this one is hands down the nicest hotel of them all. Their prices can be shocking if you don't get a "deal" (as high as $680/night for the room we get, but know that they do run specials on that room for as low as $200+ a night. A screaming deal on what my daughters refer to as the kind of hotels that only NBA players usually stay in. LOL

Archived