Ft. Lauderdale Hotel

Len3

I was so pleased to see this thread because we have a day in Ft Lauderdale in Oct between our cruise and the train back home, then I saw how old the info is. I was thinking about the Lago Mar, but then decided on the Riverside to be near the museums and restaurants. Has anyone stayed at the Riverside lately?

(I suppose this should be on the port of call board?)

We just returned from a weeks vacation in FLL and IMO the 'obvious' top hotels are The Ritz, Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor, Hyatt Pier 66 and some say one of the sections of Riverside but I don't know about that. There are other top line hotels but here's a starting point for your research.

These are all easy access to Port Everglades with Hyatt Pier 66 being the nearest.

Are you crazy? Just kidding. Why would anyone flame you for this?

I agree about beach. Most hotels along the beach in FLL are not well taken care of. But is is a real spectacle to watch 10 cruise ships leaving Port Everglades one at a time. We usually stayed at the Marriott Marina (changed names) and have done this several times. Last year, the last ship out was the QM2, all lit up. Got some great photos.

If you want views of Port Everglades and the ships, the front facing Tower Rooms at Hyatt Pier 66 are amazing. You feel like you can reach out and touch the ships as they come through the channel. We always have a room rather high up and facing front and our balconies give great views.

Hilton Marina (former Marriott) has good views from some rooms, also.

I don't care about seeing the ships. We've done that in Miami. It's very strange to stand along the canal from the ship basin and see these HUGE ships slowly pass by.

I'm intrigued by the Riverside because of its age. I love old hotels. I would have preferred to go down to South Beach and stay in our favorite old deco hotel there, but we only have one day, and staying in Ft Lauderdale is more convenient. The neighborhood/riverwalk area sounds nice. I'm not expecting a riverwalk like San Antonio, but it sounds like an interesting area. And it's about halfway between the port and the Amtrak station, making the morning run to the train somewhat easier than if we're at a beach hotel.

Who knows, after Emily I may be changing the booking...

Many of the Hotels that are mentioned here are not close to the Beach.Plantation is about 13 miles from the Beach ,17 Street causeway has some nice Hotels and lots of Restaurants within walking distance,but too far to walk to the Beach.If you are intersted in the Beach area make sure you look for Hotels in that area.The Yankee Clippper (Sheraton) is a famous Hotel on Ft Lauderdale Beach.There are many major brand hotels as well as several Mom and Pop Places.

you would need to have a car, but we had a very good experience in October at the Renaissance Plantation. Excellent service, nice pool area, kind of off by itself. so you would definitely need a car to get to restaurants and such. Only about a 20 min drive from the port.

Stayed here in Jan before cruise. Took a transit service to the hotel from FLL airport, around $30 and from the hotel to Port Everglades, took the hotel limo town car service for around $35. Nice hotel room. Good restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Loved the lobster macaroni. Booked it through Priceline months in advance. Also took a taxi to the Sawgrass Mall.

If one stays at the Riverside and it is a weekend there is a nice little bus that takes you right down Los Olas Blvd to the beach. I don't think it runs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The Riverside has a nice pool right across the street and is next to the New River. There also some great eating places along Los Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale.

I will probably stay there for my next pre and post cruise next winter

If one stays at the Riverside and it is a weekend there is a nice little bus that takes you right down Los Olas Blvd to the beach. I don't think it runs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The Riverside has a nice pool right across the street and is next to the New River. There also some great eating places along Los Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale.

I will probably stay there for my next pre and post cruise next winter

I like old hotels, and would prefer to stay in the 1936 part. From what I could see on Trip Advisor, the newer tower gets great reviews, but reviews on the older part of the hotel are mixed. Have you ever stayed in the "classic" or "traditional" rooms?

Riverside on Las Olas Blvd. We love staying at the Riverside, especially the new Tower. Gorgeous views, strolling on Las Olas with great shops to browse, sitting outside at the cafe people-watching, great restaurants at the hotel or on Las Olas, water taxi across the street if you wish to take a ride down the waterway. Lots to do and see.

On 17th you are more or less just in your hotel, though when arriving late to board the next morning we like the Embassy Suites.

Stuck? :confused: Of course, not.

Apparently, you aren't aware The water taxi stops right at Hyatt Pier 66 Marina...... right on the property among those gorgeous world class yachts. We ride the water taxi to Galleria Mall. It's a wonderful ride that we love.

We also had dinner at Los Olas, stroll and shop/window shop. Apparently not everyone is aware of the whole route the water taxi takes. We had a great ride amongst the mansions and the commentation was fun to listen to who owned what property, who built it and some of the properties' histories.

That's what is another thing so great about these boards. Deficient information can be corrected and others can add missing bits and pieces.

Stuck? :confused: Of course, not.

Apparently, you aren't aware The water taxi stops right at Hyatt Pier 66 Marina...... right on the property among those gorgeous world class yachts. We ride the water taxi to Galleria Mall. It's a wonderful ride that we love.

We also had dinner at Los Olas, stroll and shop/window shop. Apparently not everyone is aware of the whole route the water taxi takes. We had a great ride amongst the mansions and the commentation was fun to listen to who owned what property, who built it and some of the properties' histories.

That's what is another thing so great about these boards. Deficient information can be corrected and others can add missing bits and pieces.

We love the 17th street area for all the above reasons and would not consider staying anywhere else. You forgot to mention the proximity to the port on embarkation day---just a hop, skip and a jump.

Also love the Publix and Walgreens where we can pick up all those supplies that we can't take on the plane.

I am going in to see our agent next week to book air and hotel for next April and this time I think we will try the Embassy Suites. I like the look of it and have heard very good things about it. We go three days early so really like to have a place we will enjoy.

We love the 17th street area for all the above reasons and would not consider staying anywhere else. You forgot to mention the proximity to the port on embarkation day---just a hop, skip and a jump.

Also love the Publix and Walgreens where we can pick up all those supplies that we can't take on the plane.

I am going in to see our agent next week to book air and hotel for next April and this time I think we will try the Embassy Suites. I like the look of it and have heard very good things about it. We go three days early so really like to have a place we will enjoy.

An excellent choice! ;)

I keep coming back to the Embassy Suites whenever I check out the hotels. It seems to have everything that we need around it, and has breakfast too! We're going down 2 days pre-cruise so will likely see you there:)

:D We just finalized our FLL hotel bookings for April. Can't wait to return.

Embassy Suites is a very convenient location with lots within walking distance. It's only a short distance over the bridge to Hyatt. As you say, Sapper...... close to Port Everglades as well as the airport.

The water Taxi has been a great addition to things to do in FLL.I live here and have never taken advantage of it,Will have to try it this winter. The Jungle Queen is fun too.

It really is a great thing to do while in FtL. We've taken the whole trip on it several times. Also have taken the evening cruise (forget what it's called) that leaves from behind the Riverside. Did it in December and saw all the gorgeously decorated homes along the waterway- so many special holiday decorations on their properties and even the interior decorations are on view.

Archived