double decker tour buses in Rome?

Hi, this is my first post! (and first time to Italy:)) Thank you all for so much informitive info! I am wondering about the double decker on/off tour buses that I read about in a previous thread. Is it possible to take the train from the ship, get off at the Termini stop in Rome and just pick up the double decker bus right at that terminal? Is it easy to see where to get it? Some of the customer reviews on their website (viator.com)seemed to think the stops were hard to find.

Also, is there a charge to walk through the Forum (I see there is for the Collaseum) area? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Hello,

as I just returned from Rome:

yes and yes:

1. you can use the free shuttle bus to the port entrance

Have a look here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=437822

2. you can walk in 10 minutes to Civitavecchia station

3. you can take the train to Roma Termini

4. opposite of the Roma Termini station there are the hop-on-hop-off-bus-stop.

BUT

you can also leave already Roma S. Pietro - walk in 10 minutes to the Peter's Square and visit the Vatican. From there opposite of the square there is the bus stop for hop-on-hop-off-buses:

MusSPHopHoff-vi.jpg

so you will save 15 minutes transit time before you reach Roma Termini and the time you get away from Roma Termini as in this area there is no real attraction...

Have fun in Rome - like we did. We had a great guide so we felt like Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in ROMAN HOLIDAYS. Great City!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi, this is my first post! (and first time to Italy:)) Thank you all for so much informitive info! I am wondering about the double decker on/off tour buses that I read about in a previous thread. Is it possible to take the train from the ship, get off at the Termini stop in Rome and just pick up the double decker bus right at that terminal? Is it easy to see where to get it? Some of the customer reviews on their website (viator.com)seemed to think the stops were hard to find.

Also, is there a charge to walk through the Forum (I see there is for the Collaseum) area? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

In answer to first question. I used the 110 Open Tram Bus when we were in Rome. A link to their web site is

http://www.trambusopen.it/ Their main stop is in front of the Termini Train Station and you can get off and back on at each stop. During the summer the busses run about ever 15 minutes.

Yes, you have to pay to walk through the Forum and your best bet is purchase your ticket for Palatine Hill which will included your entrance to the Collosseum. This would cut out the long line at the Cossosseum.

I have a question for James about the trambus open, did you buy your tickets online before you left home or after you got off the train? Their website seems to want me to choose what time I will pick up the bus if I buy the tickets online, but I'm not sure when we will arrive at the station...

thank you all who responded, all info I get makes me a little less nervous to do the touring on our own rather then taking the cruises tours. And thanks also for the picture. :)

NO REASON TO BE NERVOUS.

Just think about your savings and all the souvenirs you can get for the savings... so you will calm automatically down.

I would not buy in advance!!!

There is more than one operator. It will not make sense to wait 30 minutes maybe in rain and the other operator is leaving in one minute. Or if it is raining you prefer more to be in a museum or department store rather than in a Hop-On-Hop-Off-Open-Double-Decker bus.

Regards,

HeinBloed

ok...sorry to be so 'exact' about this, but if I don't buy the bus tour tickets in advance where do I buy them (is there a easily visible office or stand outside the Termini station??)

PS...it's not going to rain when I'm there in late May is it????? :eek: haha

I have a question for James about the trambus open, did you buy your tickets online before you left home or after you got off the train? Their website seems to want me to choose what time I will pick up the bus if I buy the tickets online, but I'm not sure when we will arrive at the station...

For our trip last May we did not book them online but waited and bought them the morning we boarded the bus. I am going back this June with a party of 6 and I am going to try to book them online. I am going to ask them if I can book for a certain date and then go by myself to their ticket office the day before to see if I can pick up the tickets for the next day. The reason for this we are staying in a Bed and Breakfast near the Vatican and we would like to board the bus at the Vatican stop to keep all of us having to take the subway to the main train station.

You also asked is the ticket office visible. We had no trouble finding it when you walk out the front door of the main train station. You will see all the busses parked in slots and you should be able to see several ticket offices. One of them is marked in red for the 110 Tram bus. Also there red busses are right there also. We got there the first thing in the morning and we able to get on the first bus and was able to sit up front under the part roof cover. We took the bus for the complete tour around the city and then we started getting off first at the Colosseum and then later the Vatican.

You'll make it:

MusRomCollosseum-vi.jpg

Taken out our van - therefore apolygy for the mirror effect...

MusRomForumRom-vi.jpg

This place you must walk! No chance with your HO-HO-bus (Made on the top of the Capitolino).

To make you surviving until May!

I wish you pleasant anticipations during your tour plannings.

Have a nice trip and nice weather!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Me too James on posting yesterday 2/7; frustrating. Today seems fine and the replys I sent yesterday are there!

Thanks for the HOHO bus information. For those cruisers who port at Civatecchia, what method of transportation did you use to get to Rome? I am not very confident in just taking the train. We have taken a ships tour seeing the Collessium, Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's and the Square. Now I want to see "everything else" and experience Rome.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Nanatravel

That is exactly what we want to do also. Last time in Rome, we took the "Rome on your own" from the ship and spent the entire day at the Vatican. We will be going again in May and will take the same trip, get dropped off by the bus and go see the city of Rome. I know you can take the train there, but we just feel more confident taking the bus from the ship.

Im my experience many passengers choose other options thus the lines are not a mile long but there can be a several people in front of you. Expect some waiting time at the counter.

Yet there are two other options:

- There are vending machines usually not used by many people.

- You can buy the tickets before online. Maybe somebody can help with details on this. As I understand you can prebuy only regular tickets not the BIRG which includes returntrip and buses and metros in Rome.

Is the train a popular choice for cruise passengers? Is the trian line going to be a mile long??:eek: We will be on a huge ship (rccl Voyager) and I am envisioning a thousand people trying to get on the train at the same time!!

1. COSTA CONCORDIA + MSC MUSICA > VOYAGER OF THE SEAS!!!

Do not worry: everybody was onboard of the train!!! And there were enough seats available for everybody.

2. There are about 4 trains per hour.

3. If you are going on your HOHO-Bus you will not need bus + metro in Rome - therefore you will not need a BIRG ticket!

4. The "standard" ticket can be also used in IC/EC-trains, i. e. long-distance-trains which stops only once between Roma Termini and Civitavecchia! But they do not stop at Roma S. Pietro (St. Peter).

Do not worry. We made it also back on our ship like thousands of cruisers before!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

When you take the train from Rome to the port, do you catch the train at the Termini?

If you are in the city center of Rome: Roma Termini (regional and long-distance trains (IC/EC))

If you are around Vatican: Roma S. Pietro (but only regional trains)

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived