Just back from the Majesty 1/27-2/3

bakechef

Barb Nahoumi you struck a nerve.. the Majesty is our favorite cruise ship.. you just cant beat it for being comfortable, affordable and just a great trip Boston to Bermuda.. but uh oh.. we're thinking the Pride of Aloha this coming September tell me i wont be too badly dissapointed please? it's our 35th and want to do something special but within price range.. (10 days HON-HON) are we really gonna be that dissapointed? (only asking because of your love for the Majesty)..

Weary

Another recent cruiser on the Majesty here. Loved it! Terrific ship that is so comfortable and pleasant, without gaudy, over-done decor.

We had such a good time we are planning to sail her again in November out of Charleston, this time to Bermuda.

Yes, the parking is $105. It is covered and secure, except from the gulls, which still managed to poop on my car!

We have sailed out of Charleston twice, and parked both ways: at the docks and stay-n-ride at a hotel. We preferred the parking at the docks because of the convenience. It made getting on the road to home much quicker, too. That may be a bad thing...

Shay

If you choose express disembarkation (you handle all of your own luggage, you don't leave it outside the door the night before to be transfered to the pier) that starts at about 7:30 am you should be all clear by 8:30 I imagine, if you choose the traditional way they plan to have all passangers off by 10:30 and by the time you clear customs it may be around 11, we were called around 9:00 and by the time we got through customs and to the car it was 9:45 and were on the highway a little before 10. I hope this helps!

MAC

Mac, Thanks so much! NO Way are we taking our own stuff, we are on vacation LOL and it's going to last as long as possible. If I could miss the ship and catch one, lets say in June I would. But then there is real life. So I guess We will have to be in Jacksonville in time for dinner. Thanks again.

Debby

This was a great review!

I'm hoping to book Boston to Bermuda this July. Just trying to make it last minute since I'm only an hour from port, like to see that price drop a little more :D

This will be my first time on NCL and this Bermuda trip looks to be perfect. Will be going with some first time cruisers and their main concern is "sea days". So the day and a half trip out and back, plus staying in Bermuda for a few days is the perfect mix.

For those wondering, the Majesty will retire in 2010.

We were on this cruise too. We stayed at the Springhill Suites for $89 per night. They let us leave our car in their inside parking area. We took a shuttle to the ship at $10 per person. We stayed Saturday night there on our return. We had four couples and they let us all check in at 10:30 AM.

Mac, Thanks so much! NO Way are we taking our own stuff, we are on vacation LOL and it's going to last as long as possible. If I could miss the ship and catch one, lets say in June I would. But then there is real life. So I guess We will have to be in Jacksonville in time for dinner. Thanks again.

Debby

you should have no problem getting there for dinner, jacsonville is only a little more of a drive than what we had to do, we stopped for lunch and were still in raleigh by 3.

Congrats on your new bonus grandson!

MAC

Hi Bakechef,

Thank you for the great review of my favorite ship.

I think that all of the people who complain about NCLA ships, stating that they'll never cruise NCL again, should cruise the Majesty. They will change their opinion of Norwegian Cruise line.

We recently cruised Hawaii aboard the Pride of Aloha, and our experiences on the Majesty were far superior.

Barb

BTW. We never do express disembarkation----------too much work.

I hear you on that, what impressed me very much was that you could wait in your cabin until your color was called, we just watched t.v. very relaxing. Even though there was a pamphlet left in the room explaining this, there were still people waiting all over the ship. Every other cruise that I have been on, you were told when you had to be out of your cabin, this was much much better!:D

MAC

Thank you SO MUCH fpr writing this review!! I have been reading so many dissappointing reviews! We are leaving on the Feb 17th sailing and we are taking our kids on their 1st cruise. My husband and I have cruised before (not with NCL) so this one was pretty much for the kids. You cant beat the price!! Again, Im excited to go again!! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REVIEW!!!!!!

your welcome!

I think that with the breakdowns and the old menu, this ship didn't get a fair shake for a while. For those who have only sailed the big glitzy mega liners, this one doesn't offer as much eye candy. The crew was just fantastic they more than made up for the little things that were missing compared to the new ships.

Use the tips and hints here to make freestyle work for you on this ship, it is a little more challenging but can be done, and because the le bistro and pasta cafe' are both very small venues make reservations early, we did, and were able to get the times we wanted just go to the crossroads and go to the reservations desk.

MAC

Barb Nahoumi you struck a nerve.. the Majesty is our favorite cruise ship.. you just cant beat it for being comfortable, affordable and just a great trip Boston to Bermuda.. but uh oh.. we're thinking the Pride of Aloha this coming September tell me i wont be too badly dissapointed please? it's our 35th and want to do something special but within price range.. (10 days HON-HON) are we really gonna be that dissapointed? (only asking because of your love for the Majesty)..

Weary

Hi Weary,

You won't be disappointed because the Hawaiian Islands are a paradise. The cruise will give you an overview of each island that you visit. When you overnight at Kwai & Maui, you can rent a car and tour on your own. In Kona we hired a van driver, who gave us a wonderful tour. He got us back in time for the last tender.

We were a group of 16, but divided into smaller groups for shore excursions.

As far as the ship is concerned. NCLA is a "different animal." The service which we're accustomed to on NCL's internationally staffed ships does not always happen here.

My cabin was always cleaned daily, but I heard that some were missed. Meal service in the main diningroom was just ok. Service in Kahilli, the Italian specialty restaurant was slow. We were there for almost 3hrs, and the food was fair.

However the ship was clean, nicely decorated, and it took us to heavenly places.

I will return to Hawaii again.

Barb

Thank you SO MUCH fpr writing this review!! I have been reading so many dissappointing reviews! We are leaving on the Feb 17th sailing and we are taking our kids on their 1st cruise. My husband and I have cruised before (not with NCL) so this one was pretty much for the kids. You cant beat the price!! Again, Im excited to go again!! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REVIEW!!!!!!

I sailed her a few years ago and booked before I read any reviews. Then starting reading all kinds of negative things and second guessed myself. I'm easy to please but some postings were quite scary and I wondered what I'd gotten myself in to. I didn't worry too much, I'm one to make the best of it regardless and knew I would no matter what. It ended up being the best cruise ever!

As long as people understand she is an older, smaller ship, they know what to expect and aren't disappointed. She might be old, but there's a quiet elegance about her - I should be so lucky one day!:D I don't know how old your kids are but it will be some quality family time. On the Bermuda run anyway, the evenings were fairly laid back.

And glad she won't be retiring until 2010, that gives me some time to book a few more.:p

A review just the same as I would have written. I am heading for my 3rd cruise on the Majesty this August and love that ship. We went on the Jewel last February and even though it is really spectular I love the good old Majesty better. I even love the buffet, especially the chocoholic buffet! Thanks for the great review.

A review just the same as I would have written. I am heading for my 3rd cruise on the Majesty this August and love that ship. We went on the Jewel last February and even though it is really spectular I love the good old Majesty better. I even love the buffet, especially the chocoholic buffet! Thanks for the great review.

I can't believe that we missed the chocoholics buffet, we were so tired that we fell asleep, my partner is a total chocolate freak, oh well maybe next time!

MAC

After reading al the negative reviews , we were about to cancel and back away from the Majesty's March 3rd departure and rebook to another port & ship. I am so glad to begin to see positive reviews.

My wife & I are celebrating our 30th anniversary on this cruise. It is only our 2nd cruise. The last one was 18 years ago on Disney to the Bahamas. If this cruise is good maybe it will not be 18 yrs before our next cruise.

I too hope the staff & crew will be working extra hard to prove that they still have "it". If they prove it to me - the tips will be increased.

Keep coming with reviews of the next few weeks .

DJay

After reading al the negative reviews , we were about to cancel and back away from the Majesty's March 3rd departure and rebook to another port & ship. I am so glad to begin to see positive reviews.

My wife & I are celebrating our 30th anniversary on this cruise. It is only our 2nd cruise. The last one was 18 years ago on Disney to the Bahamas. If this cruise is good maybe it will not be 18 yrs before our next cruise.

I too hope the staff & crew will be working extra hard to prove that they still have "it". If they prove it to me - the tips will be increased.

Keep coming with reviews of the next few weeks .

DJay

We plan to celebrate our 30th anniversary on the Majesty in July -- as you can see from my signature we've sailed her many times and just love this ship! It has a charm that you won't find on the big ships, and the crew is the best! Of course spending 4 days in Bermuda doesn't hurt either!;)

• 1 month later...

Topnet --

What is the name of the hotel in Charleston that allows parking while you are on a cruise? We are booked on NCL Majesty out of Charleston to Bermuda in November and will need a hotel the night before the cruise.

Thanks.

Well there actually quite a few hotels that allow this, I have heard that the Holiday Inn in Mt. Pleaseant is a good choice, or the Embassy Suites out by the Air Port is a good choice, - it's about 20 minutes away from the pier, but they have a free shuttle that takes you to the port, plus all of the other amentities that Embassy Suites are known for, all of around $120/night. Also you can look into the Wingate Inn - I think that is also in Mt. Pleasents. We discovered a quaint little place called the Shem Creek Inn - in Mt. PLeasent which is supposed to be real, real nice for about $110/night if booked through Hotals.Com

Hope this helps....

Thanks, Topnet. I'll check out the hotels you mentioned. Someone posted that hotel shuttles are no longer allowed at the pier, so I am wondering if it might be too much of a hassle if we don't just park in the cruise ship warehouse. We are driving to Charleston from Florida on Friday, and we might be able to save a little by getting a room on the outskirts of Charleston and then just park at the warehouse.

I appreciate your prompt response to my question.

I really do recommend Mt. Pleasant. Why not take in some of the charleston atmosphere before your cruise, the area near the airport could be anywhere USA, this is the suburbs that is just the way it is, why not stay closer to the pier and take in the low country.

I have heard that the shem creek inn is nice and if seafood is your thing, that they do it well.

Have fun

MAC

Thanks bakechef for a great review! We, too, love the majesty. We are looking forward to cruising the new Pearl soon, but have a real soft spot for the Majesty. Three days in Bermuda is heaven and being able to dock in quaint St. Georges is a real plus. Won't be able to do it too much longer.

I am also in love with the Norwegian Majesty, but does anyone know what is going to happen to her in the near future? I've seen that the Norwegian Dawn will replace her Bermuda cruises out of Boston, but what about her cruises out of Charleston? And what about her, will she be transferred to the Star Cruises fleet?

No matter what happens, it will be a shame to see her go,:( as she is one of my favorite ships, and one of the very few that sail out of Charleston. I wish NCL would change their mind.

Enchanted Isle (1999)

Disney Magic (2001)

Carnival Glory (2003)

Norwegian Majesty (2004)

Crown Princess (2006)

Archived