Just back from the Majesty 1/27-2/3

bakechef

We have just returned from a very nice week on the majesty 7 day out of charleston. This will be from a budget travelers point of view. These are my opinions of the cruise, some will agree some will not, that's ok, so here it goes!

We drove down to charleston a day early so that we would be rested and ready for our vacation. We stayed at the Quality inn and Suites in Mt. Pleasant, as I have said in other posts, Mt. pleasant is the place to stay, it is safe clean and very convienient to the port. I really recommend this property in Mt. Pleasant very clean, nice large rooms, friendly staff and a hot breakfast included.

Day one, we sleep in a bit, have some breakfast and drive towards the pier, just as we arrive (about 11:30) they open the parking, great timing! It is quite a maze to get parked, but their are police directing you at every turn, this is also the place that you will pay for parking and proceed to drop off luggage, then off to park the car in a big wharehouse, and off to your shuttle to the ship. When we arrive at the terminal it was about ten minutes to go through security and check-in and was on the ship at 12:00 on the dot, I have never had a check-in go so smooth! As others have said the ramp to board the ship is quite steep. We arrive on the ship go down to deck 4 and our room was ready, so we dropped our carry on luggage, and off to explore.

We had lunch in the buffet, and as others have said, the buffet is a bit weak, I suggest using the buffet for quick snacks but as a full meal it can be dissapointing. The food in the Piazza San Marco was your typical fast food hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken, and pizza. The pizza was ok not the style that I like but certainly edible. This is also the area where they hold a few BBQs during the trip, these were tasty, usually ribs, chicken, and sausage, a great addition to the menu.

Dinners were good for us, some we even considered fantastic, we at at Le Bistro once, very very good I had the filet and short rib entree and my partner had the canard a'larange (duck) the french onion soup was outstanding, as was the warm goat cheese tart. He had the chocolate mousse, which he said was good and I had the apple tart (not authentic as I would have liked, but tasty none the less). We also had a dinner at the Pasta Cafe, dont' go expecting to be wowed by the food, but the atmosphere was nice and the food was acceptable. We ate four dinners in the Four Seasons, we found a favrite wait team, Syandra and Kim, they were so sweet and were able to dine with them three times. The only night that we were less than impressed with was lobster night (optional formal) I had the beef wellington, which I didn't care for, so I just ate the beef out of the middle and the sides, my partner had the lobster which was half of a large tail, he liked the lobster, and the size was no problem, but he didn't like risotto that it layed on, we didn't request replacements because it was very busy and the wait team that we had seemed to be having a hard time keeping up (not Syandra and Kim). We found the food in the dining rooms to be quite good, and the chocolate desserts were stand-outs, very very good. One night we ate in the buffet, but it wasn't good, although I am not a big fan of buffets anyway. All breakfasts were eaten in the buffets, as long as I have a few pastries and some juice, I am a happy guy, so the buffet filled the bill.

The majesty production cast was really really good, these are some really hard working young people, and did a phenominal job on such a small stage. They were a friendy group always talking with passangers between shows. The comedian was Patty Ross, kind of a blue collar type of comic, dry and straight shooting, we enjoyed her shows. There was a crooner named Sonny Rose at 60 years old he still has it, a great voice very similar to Neil Diamond, I didn't think that we would enjoy his shows since most of his music were from decades before we were born (I am 32 my partner 35), but we gave him a chance and enjoyed his shows very much.

Our cabin steward Dom was awesome, almost invisible, we met him finally on monday and when he ran into us about 10 or 12 cabins from ours he introduced himself and asked which was mike and which was rob? We were blown away because we were nowhere near our cabin. He kept the cabin spotless and left us a towel animal EVERY night, this was special because this was my partners first cruise and he loved them.

Our Stop in Grand Cayman, was cancelled because of a passanger needing urgent medical attention, we were able to reach the mexico mainland faster than grand cayman. I was a little cynical at first wondering if this was an excuse to keep chaos of a canceled port to a minimum but this turned out to be true, and the man got the life saving medical attention he needed (heart attack I believe) he was offloaded onto a tender at about 1:30am on tuesday and we docked in Cozumel at 8:00 am a day early, we spent 14 hours there the first day and 8 hours the second day, the shore excursions desk did a great job rescheduling the excursions, that needed to be because of the schedule change. We did the Playa Mia deluxe it was a great value, included buffet lunch, all drinks (alcohol included),bottled water, pool, and use of all of the water toys. I would do playa mia again. The second day gave us a chance to do some shopping instead of having to cram an excursion and shopping in the same day. Some people, even with circumstances as they were, still threw fits about missing grand cayman and were talking about removing the auto tips from their bill, the CD made a plea that people reconsider, since the service staff had nothing to do with this, this angered me a bit at how sefish people could be, would they really be willing to risk a passanger's life for a port!

Key west was fantastic, very fun, I got my key lime pie! We wandered on our own and made it back to mallory square for the sunset, which was beautiful. Mallory square is the place to be for the sunset, as their are perfomance artists, and vendors all over.

The staff on this cruise was the friendliest that I have had on any of my seven cruises. The condition of the ship was quite shocking, it was really really well maintained!!!!!!!! For a ship of this age she is kept up well, very little worn carpet, and the furniture in all venues is in very good shape. My only complaint is I wish NCL would keep up with the paint on the outside, she has rust streaks down the side of her, and looks a little shabby compaired to the other ships in port, especially the brand new pearl that was docked with us in Cozumel, and the Disney Magic.

Overall I like the product that NCL has, from reading this board I was able to make freestyle work on this ship that wasn't made for it. We ate early made reservations early and never had a wait for the dining rooms, and never had a dinner last more than 1 1/2 hours, we chose to enjoy each course, not marathon eat. I went into this cruise with lowered expectations which wasn't necessary, I would do the same trip again in an instant, and my partner has been bitten by the cruise bug, although he can't imagine having a set dinner time, and doesn't want to stray from freestyle, even though we ate early to avoid crowds it was our choice, and always enjoyed a table for two.

I want to thank NCL for offering this cruise at such an incredible value we booked the lowest cat gty, for $399 including port fees. I have had a bad couple of years financially, and am very greatful to be able to take a vacation of this quality without going into debt. I like having a low fare with the options to spend money only where I want to, I don't consider this nickle and diming, I consider this having control over my vacation spending. NCL has some future repeat passangers here!

count me in as a fan of the Majesty!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

MAC

Wonderful review! And I'm so glad the Majesty is still swooning its passengers. LOL I sailed her a few years ago and fell in love with her. I've also sailed the Dawn and several others to compare it too but she is still one of my favorites for small and intimate. And yes, the staff is the best afloat!

There was a post on here earlier and people were concerned the missed Cayman port was because of engine problems. I hope the person who suffered the emergency is okay, and like you eluded to, how selfish and inconsiderate for passengers to feel 'slighted' due to a possible life and death situation. I'm sure had it been them and the Captain didn't do all he could it would have been a completely different story. But I do hope all turned out well for whoever it was.

So glad you had a nice time and now have a cruise convert, your partner, to your credit. I too have a hard time straying from NCL and freestyle, once you've been spoiled by doing things when you want, it's hard to do the 'traditional' dinner times.

Welcome back and glad you enjoyed!

There were no signs of engine troubles, but when the captain set to what must have been full speed to get the passanger to the mainland, the palace theater shook like an earthquake while the cruise director was talking, he didn't skip a beat, so I figured it must be normal for this ship. As far as the generator goes, that seems fixed as well, not even a flicker with the lights and everything worked. We actually arrived in key west early, and was off the ship at 2:00 when we were scheduled to be there at 3:00.

I really think that this is my favorite ship, it really felt like a cruise and not a shopping mall on the sea.

MAC

I really think that this is my favorite ship, it really felt like a cruise and not a shopping mall on the sea.

Great description! LOL

The ones sailing the Majesty will be releived to hear no engine problems. I wish I could say that I was among the upcoming passengers but I'll be on the Dream soon. Hoping to do the Majesty again out of Boston to Bermuda. We booked at the last minute for a Sept. cruise and got a great rate a few years ago. There was previous talk of the Majesty leaving the line and I want to be on her again before she does. Like you, she is my favorite small ship. And the Bermuda itinerary is one of the most relaxing cruises ever, she stays in St. George the entire time. Just a thought in case you might want to book her again. Not that you need encouragement now. LOL

bakechef ~

Great detailed review..thank you.

We've only sailed the Dawn and Jewel out of NY but you make the Majesty sound "tempting and wonderful".

Encouraging to hear that the Captain chose to help save a life.

That passengers can complain is unbelievable but people are strange:(

Cabin stewards....I agree..great staff!

Key lime pie...DH's favorite...guess we have to go to Key West!

Glad you got your partner "hooked" on NCL..now you can plan another:)

Happy cruising!

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the Majesty as much as we did. About the passengers, I'm afraid some of those are on every single cruise. I don't understand them complaining when someone needed help.

Thanks for sharing your week with us. :)

There were no signs of engine troubles, but when the captain set to what must have been full speed to get the passanger to the mainland, the palace theater shook like an earthquake while the cruise director was talking, he didn't skip a beat, so I figured it must be normal for this ship. As far as the generator goes, that seems fixed as well, not even a flicker with the lights and everything worked. We actually arrived in key west early, and was off the ship at 2:00 when we were scheduled to be there at 3:00.

MAC

I guess loyal Majesty passengers feel the way many of us felt about the Sea, just not another ship like her, anywhere. NMnita

We sailed on Majesty out of Charleston a couple years ago and enjoyed it. We felt the same about the buffet, one of the week points. We also are tempted for the Bermuda cruise. Doing our homework now to see if it is doable for the fall. Enjoyed your review.

Thanks for the review bakechef. Glad that you and your partner had a great cruise!

We were on the Majesty, Boston to Bermuda, 2 times and enjoyed the ship, the staff, and loved Bermuda! My wife and I thought it was a relaxing vacation to a wonderful island. Our kids loved it too. The Majesty was their first cruise ship.

We wanted to try a larger ship for 2006 and went on the Spirit. We had a great time. This year we will be on the Dawn. We do not know about 2008 yet. Maybe a return to the Majesty before she leaves the fleet. We are waiting patiently for the summer 2008 itineraries.

We have been on other lines, although not for several years, and we love freestyle cruising.

Hopefully those pax complained only thinking it was mechanical, not medical!

Good review! We just sailed the Majesty in January. We left her in pretty good condition for you, as you saw.

Shay

Unfortunately we were told early on that it was a passanger needing medical attention, and many were able to watch him being loaded onto a tender around 1am tuesday morning. The complainers were few and the overall mood of the ship was upbeat.

Thanks for leaving her in such nice shape, I just don't get the reviews that say that she is worn out and ready for scrap. All of my previous cruises were on ships around 2 years old or less, and I didn't find her worn out at all, no she isn't filled with eye candy, rather she is easy on the eyes.

MAC

It sure is a different experience from the larger ships, but we loved the Majesty also. The crew and staff were among the best yet!!! We're hoping to go Boston to Bermuda again this year.

Thanks for your review, glad you both had a great time.

Jackie

Thanks, Bakechef. Glad to see they fixed the Majesty. My husband and I took our first cruise out of Charleston on the Majesty in 2005, and we were very impressed at how hard the crew worked on all sides. Too bad those small, intimate ships are fading away.

I know what you mean about shopping malls on a ship. Hubby and I are going to book for the Norwegian Sun this time, just because we want to. But if nothing else, the Majesty makes a wonderful first cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review -- she's a great little ship!

Definitely look into the Boston to Bermuda run -- it's a wonderful itinerary and Bermuda is beautiful! As you can see by my signature, we love the Majesty and look forward to cruising her again to Bermuda this summer!:D

I believe it's around $105 to $115 per week to park at the port. My family and I are going on Majesty:) April 7-14. We are staying at a hotel near the ariport for $105 per night and leaving our car there for the cruise duration.

We are going to extend our vacation a little and go see our bonus daughter and new bonus grandson (she was a foster child that we had when she was a little one and we have kept intouch with over the years. We are the only parents that she really knows)before heading back to PA. We wanted to give her an idea about what time we will be there. The live in Jacksonville, NC which shows about 4 1/2 hours North of the terminal.

After the cruise and seeing them I think some of you all are going to have to come drag me back to the freezing north. Already I can't think of a good reason to come home. :(

I believe it's around $105 to $115 per week to park at the port. My family and I are going on Majesty:) April 7-14. We are staying at a hotel near the ariport for $105 per night and leaving our car there for the cruise duration.

sorry duplicate

Parking is $105.

for the price you are paying, you could stay in a much better area of town, N Charleston where the airport is located is 20 mins from the port, you could stay in Mt. Pleasant for the same or less money and be 5 min from the port and in a safer part of town.

The parking at the pier is in a warehouse with security, inside the port gates, it gave me peace of mind that my car was not out in the open in a hotel parking lot. Starting this week hotel shuttles and cabs were not allowed to come to the pier which means that you will have to wait in line, put your luggage on a trailer and ride the shuttle to the parking warehouse, claim your luggage again and load it on to a hotel shuttle and ride 20 more minutes to your car, that is assuming that your hotel shuttle is on time, if not you are waiting with your bags at the warehouse. The $105 was worth it to us. We were on the road at 10 am and we didn't do express disembarkation.

Have a great trip!

MAC

We are going to extend our vacation a little and go see our bonus daughter and new bonus grandson (she was a foster child that we had when she was a little one and we have kept intouch with over the years. We are the only parents that she really knows)before heading back to PA. We wanted to give her an idea about what time we will be there. The live in Jacksonville, NC which shows about 4 1/2 hours North of the terminal.

After the cruise and seeing them I think some of you all are going to have to come drag me back to the freezing north. Already I can't think of a good reason to come home. :(

If you choose express disembarkation (you handle all of your own luggage, you don't leave it outside the door the night before to be transfered to the pier) that starts at about 7:30 am you should be all clear by 8:30 I imagine, if you choose the traditional way they plan to have all passangers off by 10:30 and by the time you clear customs it may be around 11, we were called around 9:00 and by the time we got through customs and to the car it was 9:45 and were on the highway a little before 10. I hope this helps!

MAC

Hi Bakechef,

Thank you for the great review of my favorite ship.

I think that all of the people who complain about NCLA ships, stating that they'll never cruise NCL again, should cruise the Majesty. They will change their opinion of Norwegian Cruise line.

We recently cruised Hawaii aboard the Pride of Aloha, and our experiences on the Majesty were far superior.

Barb

BTW. We never do express disembarkation----------too much work.

Archived