half moon cay

T-burg 19

Half Moon Cay has always been the highlight of my HAL cruises, its an absolutely beautiful island.

There are alot of things you can do, parasail, jet skiing, horseback riding or just sit on the beach for the day.

Hope you enjoy Half Moon Cay as much as I always do.

HMC is one of the really beautiful beaches and neat places in the Bahamas. There is a village there built by HAL with outdoor bars on the beach, straw market shops, a post office, a big bar b que lunch area.

You can rent either a Cabana or a Clam Shell on the beach to give you shade if you want it. Just contact HAL's excursion department for these.

You can horseback ride, fish, snorkle, let the kids play in the water park. Lots to do.

It's a wonderful place and many experienced HAL cruisers always look forward to being there. The only drawaback to HMC is the fear that the weather might be such that the ship cannot anchor there and the stop might have to be skipped. It does not happen often and I hope it does not happen to you.

Enjoy! It's hard not to.

We were quite happy to rent two clamshells for the four of us. We spent plenty of time in the water, but it was nice to have the shade available. There were two HAL ships at Half Moon Cay that day. The beach was manageable, but the lunch service was a disaster. Eat on board if you are in a similar situation. The barbecue was not worth battling the crowds.

You can swim to it. There is reasonably good snorkling around the rocks at either end of the beach. It's quite a distance from the active swiming area, but close enough to swim over. The beach is beautiful and quite long so there is plenty of room for all the activities.

There may also be other snorkling areas that I don't know about.

I have been there only once when a second ship was also there. It makes the lunch crowded and hot, but the beach seemed to handle the extra people pretty well. The tenders run often enoung that one could go back on board for lunch and return to the beach in the afternoon.....depending on the time the ship was departing HMC.

We always look forward to being there and we think it is the best private island in that part of the world.

We're going to HMC in April, on the Zuiderdam. We plan on just renting a clamshell and enjoying what all reports say is a beautiful beach.

But I was thinking; if we get there and see an activity that we would like to do, can we sign up for it on the spot, or must we plan ahead and sign up at the Shore Excursion desk on board the ship?

Archived